Fully fitted for a dwarf

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Fully fitted for a dwarf

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:03 am

My Thai Girlfriend thought she would surprise me.
She went out and bought (over 25 years with a million baht down) a 6.2 Million Baht 1 Bed apartment in a trendy building in ‘Satorn’ Bangkok. Opposite Shangri La Hotel. River views luxury swimming pool the works.
Basically it comes as a shell and then my girlfriend has secretly been having the interior job going on inside for the last 4 months. Lovely romantic idea…however.
Its all beautiful fitted furniture. With a raised floor throughout. You walk into the apartment then step-up to go to the kitchen or step-up to go to the lounge area. Or walk through the doors and step-up to the bedroom area. Its all very nice.
So what’s the problem…
The people who fitted all the furniture have fitted everything and then raised the floor.
So what you have is a lovely apartment for a child or a very small person.
The whole study area is useless. You, me, or any farrang cannot get there legs under the computer desk. Nor could a child. The whole apartment is 8 inches to short. The kitchen sink is imposable. You get back ache washing up a mug. . The bedroom, everything is to short.

So what to do.
I’ve suggested ripping out the raised floor. My girlfriend has contacted them and they’ve said no. the reason was there is to much metal in there. They will be around at the weekend (presumably giving them time to have a meeting to discuss how they will shrug all responsibility, after all they’ve been paid) The floor in the lounge and bedroom alone was 200,000 baht. The kitchen has the same problem and that’s all marble.

Now we’re at a stage where if I say anything I’m complaining. Its not polite to complain.

800,000 fully fitted dwarfs apartment.

If I was in my own country, England you’d laugh.
But here its like they take everything so personally.
Jay

Postby Itchy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:07 pm

Can we have some photos to brighten our day?

My advice would be get the manager up there and have him/her see the problem they have caused.

And don't go for all that respectful nonsense, rip into them like a Thai Chinese would.
Itchy

Postby dozer » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Yes, it is a bit hard to visualize it, but I've seen similar things. There is a two story house around here that if looks big on the outside, but inside it is dwarf style also.

I agree with itchy, you need to vocalize you displeasure, but I recommend doing it in a calm unemotional way (as a way to get the most bang for the buck)!
dozer
Site Admin

Pictures...

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Jay

Postby dozer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:07 pm

Thanks for posting the pics. I haven't seen anything quite so off the mark as this, but TIT. Were you able to get anything resolved?
dozer
Site Admin

Postby blue eyes » Sun May 07, 2006 3:30 am

One ? why did they raise the floor anyway?
Living a life of Lovkindness will make this life and many more happy ones.
blue eyes

Postby t.s » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:49 am

good lord, that is insane and perhaps the stupidiest thing i have ever seen.

That said, if my girlfriend tried to buy an apartment and furnish it i would probably kill her. Our tastes are quite different and our eye for details doesn't really gibe either

Interestingly enough everytime i have had trouble with a builder or handyman it has happened when some well intentioned thai in my life paid them before the work was done.

now people dont get paid until i have seen the finished project (where possible)
t.s

Postby t.s » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:51 am

ps

love the way you still have the plastic on the chairs. styleee.
t.s

Postby SVielha » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:29 pm

The thais always leave the plastic on it, so its always new :D
SVielha

Postby jazzman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:26 am

Jay, could you please renew the links to your pix...
jazzman

Re: Fully fitted for a dwarf

Postby SunTzu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:51 pm

What a wonderfull story ! :D

Been giggling throughout the post and my wife wonders what happens to me now !

Too bad the links to the pics are dead, and we don't know what happened afterwards : I join Jazzman in asking if the links can be renewed

++ ^^
SunTzu

Postby jazzman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Gosh, this is an old thread, it was started before I joined CTH. It's a hell of a shame to have that happen on a6 million baht apartment. Someone ought to be crucified.
I can't do anything about the links, I'm not an administrator - you'll have to ask Dozer for that. They probably got broken when the board software was upgraded.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby dozer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:37 am

I can't do anything about the links, I'm not an administrator - you'll have to ask Dozer for that. They probably got broken when the board software was upgraded.

Unfortunately the images aren't hosted on CTH, they are within img tags at a foreign site, eg...
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/nexusmac/04lowdesk.jpg

This is the problem with posting foreign links to pictures, we get a bunch of interesting content related to those pics and then baaap, one day the links are gone. I image at that time the poster thought the attachment process was too complicated or maybe it wasn't working right.
dozer
Site Admin

Return to Your Building Story