Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Tim

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun May 19, 2013 8:36 am

Guys...back to earth...LOS!
All the theory will not help you....sometimes you need to be flexibel but sure with some limits.
We all build no bridges or skyscrapers.
When you use such dry concrete you also need to say that a vibrator is a must!
When you poor a slab of 200sqm with no pump or crane in your area....what you do then?
Use buckets or a wheelbarrow and run 100 times over the wire mesh till it is stamped in the ground or at least not anymore where it should be?
It is also a diffrence if you pour a 20x20 column or a 100x100....I made the concrete slightly thinner to ensure I have concrete coming everywhere.
Our ground beams were hand mixed and sure it was slightly water added...later when the filled concrete trucks drove over not a crack.
If you have some extreme designs you might be very exactly...otherwise keep an eye on it but don't get crazy about it.

I told my guys not to be greedy with cement and accepted the mix being a little bit thinner....no issue!
Maseratimartin

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun May 19, 2013 2:24 pm

There seems to be a lot of misinformation on the subject of concrete in this thread.

eg.

1Wetter is OK
2High slump is OK
3Concrete coming out like water (in Thailand) is OK
4Watery concrete has got its correct strength after 28 days!!
5Adding water on delivery is OK because it will have lost it on the way is OK

Don't forget we are usually talking about local plant where they say that they cant do a slump test because it needs a computer!!! That was the story I was given.
We are not talking about concrete with plasticisers or reenforcing fibres
Here its sand, rock, cement, and water (may be you will have a waterproofer added.
Given the above.

1Wetter is weaker
2The higher the slump the weaker the concrete
3Concrete coming out like water (in Thailand) is OK. Only if you have no need for anything other than very low strength concrete.
3Watery concrete has got its correct strength after 28 days!! Did you test it?? if not then how do you know? It may be that 1,000psi may be good enough but if you wanted 4,000 + psi then you haven't got it.
5Adding water on delivery is OK because it will have lost it on the way is OK. It isn't. The batching plant knows the local conditions so unless they tell you in advance that it will be needed someone is pulling your string.

Sure if you have specific requirements for a high slump mix and can get plasticisers added you will be able to have a high slump strong final concrete. CePAC or one of the other major redimix Co's may be able to supply. But you wont get it from your local shop.

I have no background in building. However as I have, and will, have built a few things here I've had to learn.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Sun May 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:1Wetter is weaker
2The higher the slump the weaker the concrete
3Concrete coming out like water (in Thailand) is OK. Only if you have no need for anything other than very low strength concrete.
3Watery concrete has got its correct strength after 28 days!! Did you test it?? if not then how do you know? It may be that 1,000psi may be good enough but if you wanted 4,000 + psi then you haven't got it.
5Adding water on delivery is OK because it will have lost it on the way is OK. It isn't. The batching plant knows the local conditions so unless they tell you in advance that it will be needed someone is pulling your string.

Finally a few words of wisdom! :roll:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Pouring The Roof Beams

Postby Greenside » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Today they poured the roof beams. The CPAC truck was late arriving and kept the crane guy waiting so they started out at a disadvantage and it looked to me as if they wouldn't get finished which, given tomorrow is yet another holiday, presented a problem (and a further half day crane rental).

To make matters worse, the crane guy had an young apprentice with him who was clearly not up to the accuracy and delicacy required to deliver the bucket to the workers perched 4.5m up without knocking the occasional one off. His boss took the news that they wouldn't work with the kid driving after the first dodgy maneuver less than happily but could probably see no-one was going to change their mind so climbed into the cab for the rest of the day.

Come 6.30 and with the light fading, I really expected them to throw in the towel but they just kept on going and finally finished at 7.30 after the best part of 6 straight hours without a break. We gave them beer all round and they drove off for their holiday happily.

A good crew. :D
Greenside

Postby rolyth » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 pm

hello greenside,

i like the idea of u shape with pool in the middle.

how much will the total cost be for the whole thing?
rolyth

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Actually the only shape I can imagine better than a U is a H . That way you have air flow in all the rooms with windows and or doors in every wall with none or very little what I call dead end rooms , where unless the door is left open to the corridor, there is nil natural air flow, especially in the night. With the H you also have two out door areas to choose from with the prevailing breeze and sun. I went for the U as you do need quite a large block of land for a H shape unless the orientation doesn't matter.
Mike Judd

Shape Of The House

Postby Greenside » Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 pm

In fact the house is semi H shaped in that the kitchen doesn't extend to the rear as far as bedroom 1. You can walk through the living area from the pool deck to a small terrace and steps down to what I hope will be a quiet and shady courtyard type garden at the back along with a children's play area complete with CCTV and an electric fence (just kidding) and a raised vegetable garden. Behind the car port we're building a simple tool shed and parking space for bicycles/motorbikes. The budget for the building was originally set at 7m on top of which there will be the landscaping and fitting out the interior (with second hand stuff, given that the exchange rate is on the way down again). Our architect is very good at helping us contain costs but as we all know you can't really tell until the end of the project.

I strapped the GoPro to the concrete bucket again for the beam pouring and discovered that VLC player captures very serviceable snapshots from the video. Here are a few angles you'd need to be brave to catch any other way...

Last edited by Greenside on Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenside

A Close Up View Of The Concrete Consistency

Postby Greenside » Fri May 24, 2013 9:35 pm

For those who kindly added to the thread with advice on concrete consistency - here's a close up view of ours :)

Greenside

Re: Shape Of The House

Postby rolyth » Sat May 25, 2013 6:23 am

Greenside wrote:In fact the house is semi H shaped in that the kitchen doesn't extend to the rear as far as bedroom 1. You can walk through the living area from the pool deck to a small terrace and steps down to what I hope will be a quiet and shady courtyard type garden at the back along with a children's play area complete with CCTV and an electric fence (just kidding) and a raised vegetable garden. Behind the car port we're building a simple tool shed and parking space for bicycles/motorbikes. The budget for the building was originally set at 7m on top of which there will be the landscaping and fitting out the interior (with second hand stuff, given that the exchange rate is on the way down again). Our architect is very good at helping us contain costs but as we all know you can't really tell until the end of the project.

i shall see... because i am also planning to settle down in CM..
5555 ^^

budget wise, it will be on lower end type. :D
good thing is there are many yummy food in CM.. :p
rolyth

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 25, 2013 8:15 am

On viewing your concrete consistency , it looks to be quite ideal. Definitely not like some that I have seen ,which is the reason I made the comment to "watch the water" in the beginning. Great design though, not like most of the big square box type houses that prevail.
Mike Judd

Postby Greenside » Sat May 25, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks, Mike. Our architect is really good and tries to inject the same level of individuality into every project - I've seen some condo renovations he's done and they are excellent too. We're lucky to have found him when he's just establishing his own practice.
Greenside

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Mike Judd wrote:On viewing your concrete consistency , it looks to be quite ideal. Definitely not like some that I have seen ,which is the reason I made the comment to "watch the water" in the beginning. Great design though, not like most of the big square box type houses that prevail.
+1 on that.
The only thing is it seems not to have been vibrated.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote: it seems not to have been vibrated.

Look again:
i-KhnTqgC-XL.jpg
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun May 26, 2013 11:31 am

fredlk wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote: it seems not to have been vibrated.

Look again:
i-KhnTqgC-XL.jpg

That's good then.

But the pic is new ( or at least a wider view) and, in the close up, the concrete on the left hasn't been vibrated at the time of the pic. If it had then the large aggregate wouldn't be on the surface.

The concrete on the right may have been vibrated but the view isn't wide enough to show.

However it looks the same quality as we got for our ring beam

Not like the soup we had for the floor

Sometimewoodworker

Postby Greenside » Sun May 26, 2013 12:39 pm

The concrete in the close up had just left the bucket and the lady with the vibrator followed it round. Not much room up there...

The sides of the forms were removed yesterday and much of the bamboo support work will go today leaving two or three per span. It all looks very tall and I have to keep reminding myself that the edge of the roof will be lower than the top of the beams which will restore the proportions somewhat.
Greenside

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story