Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Tim

Postby Greenside » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Long absence from the thread is mostly due to impending baby. Roof sub-con replaced and hopefully all roof work will be finished this week. Septic tank installation currently in progress along with aircon pipework and interior rendering nearly complete. Ceiling work scheduled to start this week too. Pictures shortly (but whether it will be the building or the baby remains to be seen).
Greenside

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 am

Greenside wrote:Long absence from the thread is mostly due to impending baby. Roof sub-con replaced and hopefully all roof work will be finished this week. Septic tank installation currently in progress along with aircon pipework and interior rendering nearly complete. Ceiling work scheduled to start this week too. Pictures shortly (but whether it will be the building or the baby remains to be seen).

Hope all goes well ... in both cases :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Timing Is Everything!

Postby Greenside » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:45 am

Quick picture update:

Front of house from the left hand side. Moulding will run horizontally top and bottom of the show bricks and a third piece just above the air bricks where the paint colour will change.

The main deck area with the roof almost complete. The gypsum under the eaves is yet to be fitted. The pool has filled with rain to a depth of about 18 inches and so far appears to hold water. The mosquitoes love it....

Front of house from the right hand side. An 80cm wall runs around the front of the deck with a pergola so the deck should become a nice private semi enclosed living space.

Right side of house with the car port. A ramp will be built from the drive up to the car port which is 0.90m above the soil level.

Car port on the left of the picture. We are constructing a storage area above the car port and the adjacent rooms, with an access hatch and pulley lift of some kind. This shot taken from the bike shed (see below). Anyone seen pull down loft ladders for sale here in Thailand?

Bike and store room. Bikes can be wheeled (we don't have motorbikes, but you could) down a gravel path from the drive to the bike shed. The other two thirds of the building is a store room for garden tools etc. The rubbish bins and recycling go behind it on a concrete apron and compost corner sits between it and the boundary wall.

The back of the house with the Thai kitchen on the left. The long window area will be wooden or UPVC trellis. There are 5 access doors around the perimeter of the building close to plumbing that might need maintenance.

Behind where the workman is sitting is the back porch which will have a sitting area and steps down to a courtyard garden with some kind of yet-to-be-designed water feature thing. The porch is accessed from the sitting room and is on the centre line of the house with a sliding door directly opposite which opens onto the pool deck. The breeze funnels through here nicely via the door and two windows so only a couple of ceiling fans are planned to keep it habitable. An extraordinary optical illusion (which I'll have to investigate further) makes the RH side of the porch look hollow - very strange!

Finally, we have two septic tanks each of which serve two bathrooms to keep the pipework down and spread the load on the soakaways.

Back to Babywatch now :D
Greenside

Postby pattayapope » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Greenside wrote: Anyone seen pull down loft ladders for sale here in Thailand?

I have seen them in True Value but the branch in Pattaya has reduced it's floor area and has very little these days, you could try in the web siet and see if they have in any brances :D
pattayapope

Postby Greenside » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Doesn't seem to be featured on their website :( . If anyone is actually visiting a store and sees one, I'd be really grateful for the lead (a barcode and model name) - using a regular ladder is a pain in the neck. Thanks for the thought, anyway.
Greenside

Postby terp80 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks greenside for showing me around your house and meeting your lovely family. :) Your house is coming along and will soon (hopefully) be finished . It is really a bit larger than I had imagined from the photos. You won't run out of space or feel claustrophobic in that house. The pool and ?Jacuzzi? will be great when they're finished. And what a nice big lot and convenient location. I want to drop by again and see it when all the great details are in place. Well done! And good luck with your little ones. :D I'm just going to relax in my retirement - at least AFTER I get my house built. :D :lol:
terp80

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:16 am

If you get the time, have a look on my site (Slow build between Kosum) on how Not to put in a Septic tank. But then you might not get the rain or flooding like I did. Great House though, it looks like a bigger version of mine, although you have a more intricate roof style. Does the gap between the two layers let the air out, I am relying on the 2 gable vents to expel the hot air build up in mine, if needed I have made provisions for 2 large fans up there to be switched on at dusk for a short while.
Mike Judd

Postby gliffaes » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I see what looks like Brick Tor on the ground ,rolls of mesh that go in the wall at different levels to strengthen it, or at least that's what Western Brickies use it for.? I hope they are tying the walls to the columns as well ? Not Nit picking ! just asking as the bricks you are using look to be a great improvement on those tiny ones usually seen in Thai builds. The other thing I would comment on is why Wall Ties are never used with double cavity brick walls in Thailand, have any of our Members ever seen them in use.?

Used in my double block walls made them myself and then dipped them in re d oxide
Attachments
IMAG1340-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby merry-terry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 am

:wink: ...its ten days now ! so was it a boy or girl :D wishing you and the family all the best.
merry-terry

Postby Greenside » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm

It was a girl and she's doing fine, thank you. From the organisational point of view about the worst thing you can do is schedule an additional family member during the last couple of months of your building project.

Believe me :D ...

PS: Started some experimental tiling today. More updated pics when I have a second to spare.
Greenside

Postby MGV12 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 am

Greenside wrote:It was a girl and she's doing fine, thank you. From the organisational point of view about the worst thing you can do is schedule an additional family member during the last couple of months of your building project.

Believe me :D ...

PS: Started some experimental tiling today. More updated pics when I have a second to spare.

Second to spare indeed ... you're the father not the mother! :wink: :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Shastadad » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 am

Greenside wrote:Doesn't seem to be featured on their website :( . If anyone is actually visiting a store and sees one, I'd be really grateful for the lead (a barcode and model name) - using a regular ladder is a pain in the neck. Thanks for the thought, anyway.

Here is a copy the brochure that I picked up at True Value in Pattaya the other day. They import the Werner brand

werner.png
werner  2.png
Shastadad

Postby Greenside » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks, I'll call them this week.

We've filled the pool with water from the nearby klong and it's held up without any apparent leaks for two days now so they'll drain it mid week and (I assume) prepare it for tiling and installation of the equipment. Here it is, not quite full.

The ramp up to the car port was prepared last week....

and after two rain free weeks, you might know it would pour for 24hours before the truck came to deliver the concrete.

Don't worry, the guy on the right has a secret air supply. I hope.

The steps in front and at the back of the house are under way but they forgot to leave holes for the lights on the stairs so there's some fixing to do.

The back garden has been cleared (sort of) but still needs levelling properly.

We dug two 4 ring soakaways 7 metres away from the house to handle rainwater from the deck around the pool and surrounding roofs.

Meanwhile, almost all the interior ceilings are now up...

...and the tiling has been started in the bedrooms.

This dining/living room (right) and family room with the ceilings up and awaiting priming

And this month's LOS Health & Safety competition: "Spot The Baby".

Yes, I did get them to stop the macro and move him double quick.
Greenside

Postby Sunpax » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 am

Very nice house !
Sunpax

Postby thailazer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:40 am

Greenside, the place is looking grand! I hope the rains last night didn't "muck" things up on the grounds too bad there.
thailazer

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story