Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Tim

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 am

Mike Judd wrote:With welds, it's all about penetration of the two metals with the welding. Just the small weld done properly is tremendously strong as long as it is not under any tearing action. So a Tack or weld on all sides that a tear could start from will fix that possibility. Get your welder to just Tack two pieces of metal together on one side only , you will not be able to break that weld in sheer no matter how much load you put on it, but lever from the open side and it breaks easily. "Trust me" :roll: :roll:

Sounds like speaking from personal experience?

-> your house, your choice. It would not have been an issue if they followed what had been instructed in the 1st place
Tommy

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 am

Yes you are right there,"Personal experience" In my 70 yrs of working since leaving school I have tried most things with the hands. That's why I find it hard to understand it when I come across guys like one of my Son In-laws , who say "I am not a hands on person". Going through life using one's brain is great, but surely there are times when being able to do some things your self comes in handy. Any how back to the Welding , I can weld good enough for the occasional job, but a really good Welder is easy to spot, he runs those welds in a continuous line with one pass, finished.! if not he is still learning.
Mike Judd

Postby terp80 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:06 am

Hi greensides: Long time; no hear. :( Did the roof welds get primed, or what?? :?: I am/was keenly following your great build and now . . . :|
terp80

Postby Greenside » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Been rather distracted with electrical, aircon, tiling, security and other matters all of which seemed to need instant decisions.

Meanwhile, work slowed down, speeded up stopped for a holiday started for a day and then stopped due to a family bereavement of the foreman. In an attempt not to fall further behind, the contractor started running some jobs in parallel which meant the cold water crew and the first fit electrical people showed up without warning and the roofing sub-contractors have only been able to work intermittently not only because of the weather but they have an unfinished job too. Suddenly the rendering crew arrived and wanted to start work on the parts of the house that are waterproof but the alarm guy hadn't come up with a quote so the cable drops still need to be cut...... :?

Despite all that, things are moving forward but it's become much, much more difficult to keep on top of everything.

One of the more stressful jobs is buying the tiles. Home Sukapan, which has a huge store in CM, displays a wide and excellent selection of tiles and sanitary ware but actually buying from them is a different matter. What I can only imagine is huge demand given the development up here, coupled with an inability to understand how customers have to approach choosing floor coverings, means a constant round of revisions as tiles you chose this morning suddenly become unavailable, forcing a complete re-think of adjacent areas. In reality, the huge choice is an illusion, as tiles that are discontinued are often left on display for weeks - couple this with what seem like 25 digit product codes and staff who have to call the factory every 5 minutes to check on stock and you can imagine how easy it is to let updates slip on CTH! Today at least I did manage to secure enough tiles to do the whole deck area and I think they will work well.

In answer to your question about priming, yes they finally did a thorough job by bringing on three compressors and spraying the areas that needed it. There is still some steelwork to be done and a different crew is coming to do that next week.

Here's how it looked this afternoon in between showers.
Greenside

Postby terp80 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 am

Ay caramba! (I don't know the equivalent in Thai :P ) Too much going on indeed. :shock: Thanks for the great update. Choke dee. :)
terp80

Postby Ians » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 pm

merry-terry wrote:Your builder is very good, "professional", excellent finish, clean site, top man - top marks.

Correct, looks to be doing a top job, nice clean site work area's.
Ians

Postby Greenside » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 pm

The weather is making progress slow and sadly the site isn't so tidy today. Can't blame them though, who'd want to be scrambling around on slippery tiles or welding in the rain?
Greenside

Roof Progress

Postby Greenside » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm

A serious email to the contractor got an instant and helpful response and now things are moving again. The foreman who had only been on the job for about 6 weeks quit without notice which in itself was no great loss as he didn't seem to have the right personality to communicate with the workers and subcontractors but it does now mean that extra vigilance is needed on my part until they get a replacement and we get him or her up to speed. Competition for good people has never been so fierce with all the construction going on up here and it's pushing wages up too. Thank goodness we live on site!

So, as you can see, the tiles are gradually going on and that's allowed several of the walls to be rendered although they seem to have covered up the electrical boxes in the living area. Meanwhile, the wall and concrete team are working in the background trying to avoid the falling tile chips.
Greenside

Postby terp80 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks for the update, along with the great pics. :D I hope you don't mind a couple questions: How far off the ground is the (1st) floor level. Also, I am assuming from your finished house that you will enclose that under-floor space at some point. Can you give some details, e.g. will you allow for ventilation? Thanks :)
terp80

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 am

I don't know about ventilation at ground level ,but your roof design looks like the ultimate in that regard. Too many houses give no thought to that part ,especially in Thailand's climate. You are wise to be on site at all times as well, great stuff.!
Mike Judd

Postby Greenside » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:38 am

The interior floor level is 1.20m above our reference point which was taken as the middle of the road that runs past the property. Water hasn't reached that high on the road in the last 12 years during which there have been two bad floods in CM so we hope that we've got an acceptable margin for all but a catastrophe. The lowest point inside the building is the car port which is 0.85m above the road with a ramp up from the drive.

The crawl space under the house will be bricked in and have groups of decorative air bricks with insect netting on the inside in about 12 locations around the perimeter to try to ensure good ventilation and keep condensation to a minimum. I'm doing my best to ensure that underneath is kept free from rubbish and that the areas where the dirt is compacting around the foundations are filled in. It will have 5 access hatches near areas with plumbing or pool connections that might need maintenance and I'm putting some basic lighting in as well. We're going to give the dog its own little apartment in one corner when I get round to doing a drawing.

The roof space should keep us cool and there will be insulation above the ceiling, but if there's a next time I can see better ways to incorporate passive cooling.
Greenside

Postby terp80 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:51 am

Hi greensides. Thanks for your response re ground level ventilation. I like the plan - especially the access ports and the dog "house." :D
terp80

Postby Greenside » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Still experiencing stop/start subcontractors. The only ones who seem to be working full time are the rendering team and they are really going for it - here until almost 8:00 last night and started again at 7:30 this morning. Yesterday was the most perfect roofing day we've had for weeks and so naturally the roofers chose to go and work on some other project. We had three in today but progress is very slow at the moment and I'm at the point of making other arrangements to house the guests we're expecting in November. The new steel crew came today too but they only primed the new delivery that arrived at the end of last week.

On the bright(ish) side we've pretty much chosen and ordered all the floor tiles and sanitary fittings despite Home Sukapan making the process as torturous as possible. The average tile price will come in around 300 baht/m² which is less than the 350 we put in the budget but when you include the pool deck etc it's still going to run a hefty 150k by the time we're finished. Interesting to note how much the price of bathroom fittings such as showers has fallen in the past couple of years too. I chose good showers for about 5000 each and excellent Aquaflex toilets for less than 3000 (who on earth buys those 12k toilets, by the way?) and found a close-out American Standard bath for 12k. Also came across a huge (no, really huge) Kudos shower head for the outdoor shower - a bit pricey at 1750 but worth it for the novelty value alone!

Meanwhile, deliberations about security system, cctv and aircon continue in the background.... No meaningful pictures to post at the moment.
Greenside

Postby thisisit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Fantastic thread and pictures Greenside. What building company are you using?
thisisit

Postby andymac » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Greenside - A great build story and terrific photos too, I'm learning a lot thanks.
How has your architect performed, up to expectation? I reckon I'll be looking for some assistance on that front sometime soon.
I'll be in Chiang Mai over the next few days and would love to have a look at ground level if that's possible.

All the best for the last leg of the build.
Andy
andymac

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story