Building somewhere off Takhop(korat)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building somewhere off Takhop(korat)

Postby Mike Judd » Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 am

=Tommy ! I repeat, read the posts. There are a lot but just start with what you have in front of you this week,every phase has been done by many of our members with the possible Hic-cups encountered along the way mentioned. The main problem we all have to face is the language, so it's so important to have some one who understands you and can then get it across to the workers or who ever. The more planing ahead that you can manage the better, then you can ask any questions well before it's too late.
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Sun May 26, 2013 8:47 am

Mike Judd wrote:=Tommy ! I repeat, read the posts. There are a lot but just start with what you have in front of you this week,every phase has been done by many of our members with the possible Hic-cups encountered along the way mentioned. The main problem we all have to face is the language, so it's so important to have some one who understands you and can then get it across to the workers or who ever. The more planing ahead that you can manage the better, then you can ask any questions well before it's too late.

Mike if there is no time to take pictures how will there be time for reading everything on this site. Can tell you if it hasn't been done it's not going to happen on this build mind you there is alway next time. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Tommy » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369581487.875425.jpg

A 30-40min storm with strong winds blew down the blocks that had just been done.

Had to redo it after the storm ended.

On a positive note, happy to note that the roof was constructed well. No leaks or drips. Rain still entered due to the strong wind.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369581551.274121.jpg

Landscape after the storm ended

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369581667.445983.jpg

One of the potential contractor we contacted asked us to check out his on-going work.

Had a lot more photos but dun think its a good idea to show as its only after my wife and myself had spent about 15min touring around the whole place and taking photos then did they tell us that its a "farang house".

Son-in-law is from Sweden with construction background. Maybe it belongs to one of the members here?
Tommy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon May 27, 2013 11:40 am

Tommy wrote:

There is no price per trip of the cement truck. There is usually a minimum of 3Cu M per trip and it is priced per Cu M. The price depends on the strength required and your location. FWIW we paid 1,700 baht per Cu M for 240 steng.

Usually the biggest truck is 5CuM so 112sqm X 10cm = 11.2 CuM or 3 trucks

240 steng means??

Asked around today. But seems like the local CPAC company is not that trustworthy. They do not exactly follow specifications nor deliver the correct amount ordered. Price quoted to locals is 1500baht.

The strength of the concrete

Is it CePAC or is it a different company? CePAC seems to be careful of the quality, other ready mix companies not so much.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Tommy » Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Supposedly CePac here.
It's the end workers ( drivers) causing it according to the gossip I got..

Update
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369835963.439156.jpg

Walls are coming up faster after my brother in law and myself got "enlisted" into carry duty and cement mixing.
Will try b include pix of the rebars soon

FiL, Et and Dian will be up on the scaffolding or whatever frame they hanmered together to stand on while both of us will be "ground support". Mixing cement, replenishing cement to them via black pails, cutting N bending re-bars to correct length and shape, replenishing the blocks for them to lay, providing drinks to them and every other task possible.

Question about cement that I liked to ask.
1. What's the actual difference between cements that are in Red, Blue and Green packaging?
For laying the blocks, we mix 1x40kg green wording cement + 12 pails of sand and about 4 pails of water.
For pouring into forms, stone + sand + blue wording cement. None of them bothered to answer me when I asked.

2. After mixing the cement and delivering it, will cement strength be compromised if I sprinkle some water to soften it a little as it has started to harden over time?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369836520.635473.jpg

Somebody somewhere did this to one of my pups.
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri May 31, 2013 6:04 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369997434.039639.jpg

Walls for the rooms

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369997457.591998.jpg

Setting up the door frame

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369997493.267662.jpg

After math of using the mixer

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369997537.152521.jpg

End result of the pour

Mother in law called last night with news that monks divined that 2nd June is the best date for us in June to "move in" symbolically.

Thus the rush today to get 1 room ready in the most basic manner.

Used a total of 6x50kg dark blue color cement. The mix was good overall except for 1 batch which came out soupy as Dian poured too much water into the mixer accidentally.

Thickness of the floor around half the height of the block. Wanted to take pics of the process but not able to as I'm part of the crew.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369997912.015452.jpg

My "safety flip flops" died in the process.

Work on the kitchen and toilet will start after this rush for 2nd June "moving in".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369998160.520341.jpg

Aftermath of the thunder storm yesterday. The whole build is full of tea flying insects.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369998220.938606.jpg

After deep frying.. Snack / tidbits while working today for them. And no, I didn't try it.
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:45 am

Tragic accident yesterday...

6-7 year old kid drowned while playing with friends at the pond. No adults around to supervise or look at them.

The mother was playing cards / gambling a few kilometers away.

Rushed to hospital but too late. Funeral held at home.. No idea how is the mother gonna explain to the father.
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Quite an interesting week has passed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370704247.633671.jpg

Was told this is 6CuM worth of sand. No matter how I look at it, does not seem like it. Called that boss up, he said he will come and take a look. Never came. Never stepped into his shop again since then.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370704357.972059.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370704376.206756.jpg

Spent 3 nights sleeping here as part of the moving in ceremony. Alone. But my 4 pups were faithful enough to sleep around the build guarding me at night thou. Personal preference is the hatchet tucked just under the mattress within easy reach every night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370704556.986303.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370704585.667663.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370704605.544880.jpg

Progress till date. Interior walls almost fully primed. Pouring of cement half complete. Will finish up common area tomorrow and also exterior walls.

Having some problems with building supplies recently. Ordered n paid for 3x 4.5m Pre cast columns. Been 10days and still no sign of it. Gonna talk to them again. Still can't deliver = another supplier striked off the list.

Build progress improved after FiL called from "reinforcements" from home.
Et's younger brother (Nit), Oh (friend) and Soh (uncle) arrived on the 5th.
Semi experienced builders at least.

Total workforce increased to 6 now. Didn't have to join in at all since. Can afford to stay in bed and rest after taking medicine for fever n cold.

Went to "The Mall" in Korat today to shop for tiles at HomePro. Ended up buying alot of other stuff. Got ViP treatment after the sales staff realized we were on a shopping spree. Total damages clocked in just under 120k thb. But due to promotions and such, ended up with nett price of 81k thb. Deliveries slated on week after next. Items for kitchen n interior toilet all cleared.

Will be setting out locations of electricial outlets tomorrow.

The build has grown n changed beyond the original floor plan I envisioned. Just have to adapt as best as I can.
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Can't update much currently as I gotta be back in Sg for medical appointment.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371387274.392354.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371387305.267752.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371387330.960396.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371387350.843096.jpg

Walls done. Last heard as of yesterday is work on ceiling has started,
external pathway around the house prepared,
electricial cables running from switch box to the rooms done. But not fixed yet. Waiting for the actual electrician to do it.
Extension work on kitchen and toilet done. Proper septic tank this time round with water proofing. At least that's what I can see via video chat with my wife.

Trench work for laying of cables underground will be done this week. 2phase 220/15. Told them to start on the trench from house to outside 1st so that pouring of external pathway and sitting area can go on.

Question. 3 pipes in total. 2 for electric cables and 1 for water in same trench. Any issues I need to take note of after sufficient waterproofing has been done?
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Called back today and managed to have video call to the building. Quite pissed at what I saw.

Despite that I had gone through the drawing for the kitchen layout and each individual wall, things still come out different. Wife told me she had been trying her best to get FiL to follow according to what I draw but he went on with his own definition of what's nice and what's not.

Got my wife to on speaker and spoke loudly so all of them can hear.

Translated back into English:
"What is this? Why is it so different from what I draw? Father and Et does not understand what I want? Why are the ventilation windows for kitchen and toilet at head level instead of at the very top?
Tell them to tear down and re-build. Unless father wants people to be peeking at his daughter and grand daughter while they shower in future."

Hanged up after saying the above. Wife called back 30min later said FiL was pissed but didn't say anything much. Will redo the windows again.

1st time they see / hear me pissed off. Hope it will be the last time.
Tommy

Postby terp80 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:58 pm

1st time they see / hear me pissed off. Hope it will be the last time

Good for you Tommy. :D But I have a feeling it won't be the last time. :roll: :lol:
terp80

Postby merry-terry » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:42 am

Thai's seem just like children and once the teacher has left the room...................? TiT :roll:
merry-terry

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 pm

@terp80
Probably cos I had been trying to adopt their attitude. Whatever mistakes they had done so far I just tried my best to close an eye and adapt accordingly. This is the main reason why my build has expanded beyond my original plans.
But I guess everything has snowballed to the extent that I just flipped.

Video call today showed the open space for window (which should hv never exist in the 1st place) blocked and sealed up. Adjustment to raise the height of the window in toilet underway. (Section above window torn down)

Roof materials finally arrived and they were fixing it during the call.

Outdoor play area being prepared for pour and simple retaining "wall" the height of 2 blocks built. Footpath area prepared.
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:58 pm

@terry
My FiL meant well actually. Just an issue of misunderstanding and worry that the house wun look good according to how locals view it
Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm

The only 2 pictures I received so far on updates.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372400159.596939.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372400186.813958.jpg

Best news I got is that we got our house number and the blue booklet. Wanted some lucky number but all taken thus ended up with 50!

Issues that happened on site
1. Oh had to stop work n go home as he "fell sick" and can't work anymore. No idea what type of sickness it is. Left without any hassles or problems.

2. Nit had to rush home for a few days as ex-wife "dumped" daughter at his place and went somewhere. Didn't take his pay, just asked for enough to pay for bus ride home and some to spend. Promised to be back in 3days.

3. Some asshole poisoned and killed one of my dogs. Another dog nearly died. Managed to rush to the vet to save the 2nd dog. So I'm left with 3 dogs now. Going to get a few more pups when I'm back.
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story