Water-House Extended time line

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Water-House Extended time line

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:42 am

fredlk wrote:My pleasure.
(You also copied my colour scheme. :lol: )

Not quite. Ours is white on white, there is no grey :D :lol:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 pm

It's done

image.jpg
Final painting

image.jpg
Seat detail

image.jpg
Step detail

image.jpg
Seat detail

image.jpg
It's good
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:08 pm

The finished job

image.jpg
The finished job

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Nice! Well done. Add a fishing rod and you could be Ernest Hemingway.
I take it that the water tank is not yet installed?
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 pm

fredlk wrote:Nice! Well done. Add a fishing rod and you could be Ernest Hemingway.
I take it that the water tank is not yet installed?

There is a difference of opinion on that. SWMBO says we don't need it and she doesn't want it, so it might come later otherwise the tower is just a design feature.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Does look good Jerome especially with the pond now full.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:SWMBO says we don't need it and she doesn't want it, so it might come later otherwise the tower is just a design feature.

Don't you mean a figment of your imagination? :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:SWMBO says we don't need it and she doesn't want it, so it might come later otherwise the tower is just a design feature.

Don't you mean a figment of your imagination? :D

Since it's there already it's a pretty solid figment don't you think? :roll: :roll:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm

[quote="Sometimewoodworker"]Making a table to help with the job.
We rather like blue
P1070068.jpg

Hi again STWW
I am glad I stumbled over this early thread of yours. With my garage getting close to completion, one of the first things planned was to install a permanent workbench with the vice I bought more than a year ago.Your post has prompted me to go with a table like yours which will eventually be bolted down inside the garage. It will get a lot of use manufacturing the roof trusses, which couldn't be accommodated inside the garage.
On a different tack, I note fredlk's concern about the steel construction over the pool. I think most people would have chosen a concrete pier and beam design so as not to have any exposed steelwork. If sticking with the steel fabrication, then galvanised steel, with welds zinc coated, plus primer and top coat would be a second best choice. My own construction is surrounded by paddy fields which will put it in a very humid environment for most of the year. I have used primed steel and (yet to be applied top coat) in my reasonably accessible garage roof frame. On reflection, I don't think this will be good enough for the house proper. I think I might need to go gal for the the exposed top plates and trusses as well.
Regards, John
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Another thing has just crossed my mind - a similarity in our construction timelines. You started with a gazebo over water, I started with the garage. Not the way most people would have started, I think.
ajarnudon

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Making a table to help with the job.
We rather like blue
P1070068.jpg

Hi again STWW
I am glad I stumbled over this early thread of yours. With my garage getting close to completion, one of the first things planned was to install a permanent workbench with the vice I bought more than a year ago.Your post has prompted me to go with a table like yours which will eventually be bolted down inside the garage. It will get a lot of use manufacturing the roof trusses, which couldn't be accommodated inside the garage.
On a different tack, I note fredlk's concern about the steel construction over the pool. I think most people would have chosen a concrete pier and beam design so as not to have any exposed steelwork. If sticking with the steel fabrication, then galvanised steel, with welds zinc coated, plus primer and top coat would be a second best choice. My own construction is surrounded by paddy fields which will put it in a very humid environment for most of the year. I have used primed steel and (yet to be applied top coat) in my reasonably accessible garage roof frame. On reflection, I don't think this will be good enough for the house proper. I think I might need to go gal for the the exposed top plates and trusses as well.
Regards, John

Thanks John

Well 4 years on and there is no sign of any rust problems. If properly painted and maintained steel is no problem, most ships use it.

If you are going to use galvanised steel be really careful that you educate your welder on the seriousness of not using breathing protection. The fumes are highly toxic
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:14 pm

ajarnudon wrote:Another thing has just crossed my mind - a similarity in our construction timelines. You started with a gazebo over water, I started with the garage. Not the way most people would have started, I think.

Not quite, I started with a sunshade viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3484
Unfortunately a lot of the pictures are on a server that is off line at the moment so I will need to do something about that.
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to Your Building Story