Building in Khanom

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Khanom

Postby jingjoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

2014-04-21 15.42.14.jpg
I looked into buying one of those shade sails,very popular in australia,can shade half the pool,reduces temperature and also the use of chemicals.However they wanted 120 000bht,which i thought was a bit expensive.I ended up buying 2 large swinging arm umbrellas,the ones you see outside of cafes.I paid 10 000bht each,but they are alot stronger than the cheaper ones on the market and the base can be filled with water for stability,good enough to shade the shallow end of pool
jingjoe

Postby brianks » Sat May 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes, shading of the pool is definitely on my radar now with the pool temp. hovering around 33-34 and sometimes 35 degrees. I want something that will cool the pool down so would need to cover most if not all of the pool. Would be happy with some kind of fabric that you can see through and doesn't have to be waterproof. Went to Architect 14 show in BKK the other day and have material from several shade and awning companies. Know it will be expensive but to bring the temp. down would make it more enjoyable.
brianks

Postby oldthaiguy » Sat May 31, 2014 2:24 am

Very nice house indeed!
I am an old Thai guy (73 years old) living in the US; planning to move back to live in Thailand in the near future.
I wish to live near the beach in Thailand and has been looking at the Mae Rumphueng Beach areas in Rayong.
Khanom is probably going the different direction from Bangkok and very far as well.
My questions to you is this; how much is the total land cost and the total cost for your house?
I am asking this just to determine if this is within my financial power to afford building a house in Thailand.
I can be reached at: <private email address removed for security - info can be posted on the thread if available - mod>
Thank you much for answering.
oldthaiguy

Postby brianks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Last Thursday the electrician connected the electrics to our 5kw generator. After having 3 power outages in the past week and several more the week previous we probably won’t have another one for a while now. In fact though, another outage as I am reviewing this document as I am doing it on generator power. Power went out about two hours ago. That’s just the way these things go. A great relief now as it has just happened again and doesn’t take too long to start the generator and flip the switch to restore power to the house.

Below is a photo of the switch box inside of the house to flip to the power source coming from the generator. I don’t understand why we needed the battery powered emergency light above it because we only need a flashlight to move around in darkness and light the power box up. Even outside in the eves another LED light wired from the emergency light was installed (just to the right of the generator) so there will be light over the generator area when there is no power. Nice if power outage comes in darkness but most power outages come during the day and only a few have come in the evening. This current one is going into the evening though. Still looking for the red light to come on that indicates the power is back on. Later learned that there is a wire from the emergency light charging circuit for its battery that is connected to the battery of the electrical generator. Was told that battery would not last long on generator unless this was done. Good idea!
elect wall 001.jpg
Switches on wall

Enough gas tank (25 liters) for over 10 hours of operation without refueling so can go all night if necessary if we can sleep through the extra sound it creates. I want to see if we can get the sound muffled a bit more as I have said to wife that we need to get a motorbike mechanic here to see if he can do something with an additional muffler. Of course, this being an unheard of idea, to modify something and not accept it as it is, the appeal was met with skepticism. I will have to push on this one to see what can be done. Also need to have a cover constructed for the unit as the Stainless Steel gate man has now stopped by to measure for a cover. Hopefully he can do something about the noise issue too. At least it now works!
More Improvements 002.jpg
Elect. Generator

The “necessary” Spirit House is now in place and dedicated. What was supposed to be a smaller inexpensive project became a much larger project due to the lack of plans and inability to communicate what was in someone’s mind to the workers. Looks good though and adds some color to the large yard.
Updated pictures 007.jpg
Spirit House

Have installed sprinklers (rain birds) throughout the yard so no more hand watering or moving sprinklers around. To get over and around walkways and obstacles I initially put quick disconnects from the hoses to the sprinkler lines to feed them with water. The sprinkler below, because of its location next to the driveway, was the last one that was fed by the hose. I piped that line in two days ago so all sprinklers are connected directly to main water line.
Updated pictures 008.jpg
Hose connection to sprinklers

When I put in the next to the last sprinkler I discovered another way to feed the water lines directly from the main water line and eliminate the use of the hoses. Put a “T” behind the faucet and I got a direct line to the main water line around the yard. Gives much better pressure to the sprinklers because it is a ½” line and not restricted by the ¼” diameter hole in the quick disconnects for the hoses. Can now run two sprinklers at once at full pressure instead of only one with the quick disconnect. It’s now much faster to water the lawn. Best way would have been to put a T into the main water line but that would have really been a hassle to install so hence the not a good simpler solution.
Updated pictures 005.jpg
Sprinkler pipe connection to main water line around yard.

Don’t know if I have shown this picture before but we have removed the grass from this area and replaced it with rocks and stones of different colors. For me it eliminated a pain in the neck area to get the lawnmower into and around. Wife is playing with the plants around it continually.
improvements 002.jpg
Rock Garden in place of grass.

In the middle of this post something came up so have had to rush this to completion so I can do something else. Will post more this evening or tomorrow. Much has happened since most of this was originally written several days ago.
brianks

Postby olavhome » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Very nice story continues. :D
House not finished when moved into, constand improvents is made.
Guess that also makes having house entertaining (at least for us falangs) but I dont think thais feel the same :wink:
olavhome

Postby brianks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:51 pm

The plants at the end of the pool struggled and withered away. With a salt pool this was not a surprise as some other areas around the pool are struggling also. I suggested this covering of the area quite a while ago but since it was new and different it took a while to get accepted. Looks a whole lot better than dead plants, dirt and the messy looking area it was. Thinking of doing this same thing by the pool steps so it is easier to step in and out of the pool. A sprinkler will have to be repositioned to accomplish this and I now think I have figured out how to make it work.

Note the blue pipe sticking up at the end of the stone plate. As I write this I realized that it is no longer necessary since it was put there to keep the hose from damaging the plants next to it. It’s like many things that never change regardless of what happens around them. It was removed after this writing!
improvements 001.jpg
Deco squares beside pool

I have always wanted to have a switch on the well pump that will automatically turn the pump on and off to refill the tanks. Wife's brother bought one and I mounted the switch on top of one of the two water tanks with the sinkers inside. Has some sinker weights inside and when water level gets lower than both sinkers it turns the pump on. When it gets to the top level sinker it turns the pump off. I had to turn the well pump on and off manually and frequently I forget about the pump and it did not get turned off for many hours. This switch will eliminate that problem. Electrician has to run wires from the well pump switch to this switch and did so yesterday but took the picture a week ago. I did not want to wait until that was completed to show in picture. A yellow conduit will run from the switch across the top of the tank and on the back of the wall to the well pump switch box located on the back wall opposite the electric generator.
More Improvements 001.jpg
Automatic Pump Switch for Water Tank

And last an overall view from the front corner of the lot of the house and yard. Many plants are now flowering and adding a beautiful look to the yard. Today we went out to purchase some more plants to replace some that are not doing very well or have died. This picture has changed as of last night with the new plants. The yard will continue to be a work in progress.
Updated pictures 003.jpg
Picture of Yard

Interesting Notes: When the generator electrics were finally all hooked up, I went out and turned it on and checked everything out. After a few minutes the generator quit and my heart sunk. Went through all the checks as shown in the manual to find the problem. It seemed to me that it did not have any gas (but lots in tank) as all the electrics checked out. During the process took off the generator cover to find one of the wires that was suppose to be connected to a post and screwed in place was instead just wedged in between the nut and plastic case--AMAZING that the generator even worked so the connector was attached to the post as it was designed to be. Unfortunately this did not solve the motor problem but at least we would not have another problem as this wire fell out of place and generator would no longer work. Wife's brother was summoned (he is a mechanic responsible for keeping construction equipment working for company he works for) and he quickly came to same conclusion as I. NO GAS! Had to work in a cramped area on side and back of generator to remove the carburetor and found the needle valve was stuck closed. Carb. had to be cleaned out and all the gunk build up removed so needle valve would move freely. All was painfully reassembled and the generator works again.

Learned from incident that must use Regular 95 gas and should keep not much in tank until generator is needed AND run the bugger for about 5-10 minutes every week just to keep all functioning properly. Will have to drain tank of current Gasahol 91 and replace with 95 now.

Still unbelievable to me that the generator wire grommet was not attached properly but merely wedged next to the terminal. As my wife's mechanic brother said--This is Thailand!
brianks

Postby brianks » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Reply to Olavhome: Yes, that is what makes life interesting here. I have to keep my mind and body busy and am constantly looking for and thinking of improvements to make on the house that make it much easier to live in. Yes, your right about the Thai's. Take what you get and just sit on it. Why improve?
brianks

Postby sirineou » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Your Home and garden looks wonderful, I like your idea of removing some of the grass, and replacing it with decorative stone, it looks nice and reduces the maintenance work.
The Problem you had with the generator is a problem many people have, with generators and gas operated tools in general, that are used infrequently.
These tools have two gas tanks, One big one where all the fuel is stored, and a very small one attached to the carburetor.
Fuel flows from the Big tank to the small one via a fuel line, there might or there might not be a fuel shut of valve on that line, so that's the place to look first.
Almost always the problem is with the small tank. In the small tank there is a small metering pin attached to a small float, as fuel flows in the small tank the float floats up, the metering pin closes the fuel supply line stopping the fuel flow from overwhelming the carburetor in-take.In the carburetor there is also a small orifice that feeds fuel to the carburetor. When you pull the starter string or engage the starter motor, the engine turns, the intake cycle of the piston draws air in to the engine, and due to the Bernoulli affect shucks fuel in the cylinder where a spark ignites at the top end of the compression cycle,fuel expands, power stroke , and engine starts.
The Problem with these not often, used engines is that the fuel sits in the carburetor for long times and some of it turns to varnish.
Metering pin sticks, not allowing fuel to enter the carburetor, float sticks and does not open metering pin,
Fuel supply orifices get clogged. This can easily be fixed by opening the carburetor, and cleaning it with carburetor cleaner, also the intake orifice might need to be un-clogged by using a small pin, because the orifice is so small, the carburetor cleaner does not enter it to dissolve the varnish.
Starting the engine every couple of weeks is a good idea, keeping a small amount of fuel in them is not.
A small amount of fuel will gum-up faster as it evaporates.
Fuel additives such as in the picture below are recommended for engines that are infrequently used, or a complete fuel drain,
Under the small carburetor tank, there is a drain nut that will drain the system.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby brianks » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:54 pm

What you explained is exactly what I saw when my wife's brother took the carburetor apart and cleaned it out. I have now drained the tank this morning and put 5 L. of 95 gas into it so hopefully a better gas will help some. Will be adding 10-15L more to the tank when my other gas can can be emptied into the car tank. Interesting though that you said keeping the tank low was not good so will take your advise and bring it at least to half full or more. Will also be keeping a 10L and 5L can full for refill when have to run the generator for a good period of time. Only suppose to use around 2L per hour when running so 15L in tank should carry it a few hours before needing more. After emptying and adding the new load of 95 gas I ran the generator for over 5 minutes just to get the new gas in the carburetor. I plan on running the generator for 5-10 minutes every week just to keep some fuel moving through the system.

Now the Sta-Bil (and Seafoam) was also recommended by a friend in the US also so thanks for your picture. Am going to go on a search for it or some other other type of fuel stabilizer. That should be some fun trying to explain to wife what to ask for at the auto places around town.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Dad was an auto mechanic and I thought Auto Shop years ago so well received on a not so dead brain.

By the way, I just happened to look at the clothes dryer with the door open today and saw the big note in English to "clean the filter before using". Why would the Thai's want to read that? I pulled the filter out and it is thoroughly clogged. Will have to show wife now what she must do before using the dryer rather than just loading it up and pushing the ON button. Same also with washing machine and its filter on bottom of machine. I have changed that filter once before but will have to show wife how to do it as it is requested once a month. Have to stay on top of the Thai's as these new fangled machines are just suppose to run with no maintenance required until they drop dead.
brianks

Postby sirineou » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:54 am

an other option would be to convert the generator to run of propane, easy to do, plenty of videos on You tube. You can ask your wife's brother what he thinks of the idea, and if inexpensive conversion kits are available in Thailand.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:23 am

sirineou wrote:an other option would be to convert the generator to run of propane, easy to do, plenty of videos on You tube. You can ask your wife's brother what he thinks of the idea, and if inexpensive conversion kits are available in Thailand.

Good call a bottle of subsidized cooking gas is always on hand.

Put it all in a small lean-to and even the sound will be controlled.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby brianks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 pm

It’s been a while now since my last update and I have been waiting until there was enough done to make one story to show some real progress.

Electric Generator & Cover: Bought that a while ago because of the frequent power outages but took another several weeks to get the electrician out to wire it into our electrical system. Fortunately with the generator even not wired in I could extension cord in the water pumps so we could have water in the house (and use the bathrooms at will rather than bring in buckets of water from a barrel outside to refresh the toilets) and could power the refrigerator so didn’t have to worry about that either. Now that it is connected to the house electrical system, life can continue in a civilized manner.
8-17  Upgrades 001.jpg
Generator

Had the Stainless Steel Gate mfg. make a cover for the generator to protect it from the rain. Cover is of clear polycarbonate plastic on top and front. Sides are open. We thought we could add a muffler to the unit and had one made but connecting it to the unit made no difference in the noise it made so it never got on. We have to live with the noise. Only appliances we cannot operate are the hot water heaters. When they go on they put too much load on the unit and motor cannot handle it and shuts down. A Small inconvenience. Am running the motor right now for its weekly 10 minute maintenance to insure it works when we need it.

Pool Chemicals: A few months back the pool got “sick” and algae was showing up in spots all over the bottom of the pool. That started a rather long and arduous battle with chemicals trying to clear it up and more importantly figuring out why it came about. Finally figured out the Pebble Tec surface of the pool was leaching out Ph (whatever that is) and causing it to be much higher than it should be. Because of this the chlorine in the pool could not do its job as the high Ph blocks the Chlorine from working. I had been told by the installer that the Pebble Tec surface would leach out Ph for the first month but would settle down after about a month. It took over a month to do things with the water in an effort to determine where the Ph was coming from. It became obvious that the Ph was coming from the Pebble Tec surface and nowhere else. The long story of this is indeed long so I will spare you of the details.
8-17  Upgrades 002.jpg
Add salt to pool

A little over a month ago I drained and refilled the pool in an effort to get the chemicals in the pool at the correct level so we could start over with clean water (previous to this I had been adding a gallon of hydrochloric acid a week to bring the Ph level down). Rebalancing the chemicals in the pool did nothing to solve the problem as the Ph continued to climb from 6.8 to over 8.2 in a week’s time. At the beginning of this month (6 months after Pebble Tec was installed) the Ph finally stabilized and registered 7.4 (ideal) on my water tests every three days. Now after four tests showing the same results I have dragged those bags of salt from the back and will soon put their contents into the pool so I can turn on the salt chlorinator and not have to continually monitor and add chlorine in both tablets and powder to the pool.
Will be nice to finally have the low maintenance pool that I thought I would have. Needless to say, I have learned a lot about chemicals and pool water over the past several months. A corner of the Work room has several bags and barrels of chemicals for the pool.

Oh, I do still prefer the Pebble Tec surface in the pool over that slippery tile almost all use over here.

UV Coating on Windows: At the Architect 14 show I attended in BKK several months ago I ran across a booth showing a coating on glass that will block 65% of the UV rays that pour through the glass. Company was from Japan and just starting up in Thailand. Demo there showed the difference between sun lamp shielded with glass with coating and one without the coating. Noticeable to tell the difference between the two.

Took months to get it applied as the company had to piggy back the job on top of another in the area. Coating was applied to the large sliding glass windows/doors and on the door from this room on the back side of the house. This door on the back side of the house gets blasted with early morning sun (when no clouds) and I had to keep it covered with the curtain to knock the heat down. Once the door was coated it was noticeable on the next sunny morning day the difference in heat with full sun and temp inside the room. The other larger doors/windows on the living room, bedroom and 2nd bedroom won't be much affected for another month or so when the sun moves to the left side of the house. We have now noticed a difference in the heat from the outside of the living and bed rooms through the carport in the afternoon without direct sun on the windows. Close the windows and you don't feel nearly as much heat as when they are open.

This coating is primarily used on buildings with large glass areas where the benefits are considerable in savings on both AC and Heat cost in the winter (works the opposite way in winter).

Shade for the Patio: I wanted to have a shade installed to keep the afternoon sun off of the patio making it bearable to sit outside in the afternoon. It was a month’s long process to find a company that wanted to do the project. I expected a problem because of our location but as it turned out our location was not a problem at all. One company in Hua Hin kept dragging their heels as my requests because they didn’t want to travel the 500km from Hua Hin to here and if any problems have to return again. Finally they reluctantly referred me to a company in Pucket that made the same product. After going back and forth with them with pictures, dimensions and descriptions I determined that I would need a Stainless Steel frame installed to hang the shade from. Measurements I was told to make were supplied and dimensions for the frame were arrived at.

Back to the Stainless Steel Gate mfg. and a week ago the frame finally got put in. Yesterday the Shade arrived here in a cardboard tube and I was able to install some of it. Today with the help of my American friend, who critically had another ladder, was able to put the shade in place and get it to work properly.

View from the corner of the patio.
8-17  Upgrades 003.jpg
Screen view from patio

View from inside the patio and through the shade material. This is what I liked about the material. It gave shade but did not form a barrier as you could also see through it also.
8-17  Upgrades 004.jpg
Screen view to yard

From the lawn a few pictures at different angles.
8-17  Upgrades 005.jpg
View of screen from yard by pool
8-17  Upgrades 007.jpg
View of screen from carport
The material for the shade turned out a bit lighter that we thought from the color samples provided but it solves the problem.

So there you have it, the complete update.
brianks

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm

brianks wrote:Coating was applied to the large sliding glass windows/doors and on the door from this room on the back side of the house.

Was this "coating" a film like they use on vehicle windows or :?:

Cost? :) by square metre or window size.

All looking good ... like the see-through screen idea

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby brianks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

More information to keep the PM's down.

Total Cost of Screen w/o SS frame was round 45,000 baht all in. SS frame work cost 6,000 baht more.

Window Coating was not the film like used on car windows. Come to think of it, that might be a very viable option if there is a film that will accomplish the same purpose. This stuff was a very carefully mixed liquid that was applied with about an 8" foam roller. Every batch was precisely measured for the window size and all that was mixed for the window was applied. A new batch was then mixed for the next window.

Was told you cannot wash the inside of the windows with commercial glass cleaner as it has alcohol in it an that apparently will remove the coating.
brianks

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:41 pm

brianks wrote:More information to keep the PM's down.

Total Cost of Screen w/o SS frame was round 45,000 baht all in. SS frame work cost 6,000 baht more.

Window Coating was not the film like used on car windows. Come to think of it, that might be a very viable option if there is a film that will accomplish the same purpose. This stuff was a very carefully mixed liquid that was applied with about an 8" foam roller. Every batch was precisely measured for the window size and all that was mixed for the window was applied. A new batch was then mixed for the next window.

Was told you cannot wash the inside of the windows with commercial glass cleaner as it has alcohol in it an that apparently will remove the coating.

In the interests of keeping down those PM's ... cost of window coating? :roll: :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story