Building in Khanom

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Khanom

Postby brianks » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:00 pm

We are having a house built on our 4.4 rai of Oil Palm land we purchased in Khanom.

Took a while to find a builder which took a while as many were too busy, others too vague and two wanted to only give price for build and furnish everything (which we would not accept because too much incentive to cut cost in addition to not allowing us any changes or substitutions along the way). When we finally found a builder that we thought would do the job correctly we were surprised to learn that he wanted to start the next day. That was two weeks ago and we are well along now. Foundation rebar all in place this evening with forms going in tomorrow.

Managing the process of uploading the pictures on this site is a bit time consuming and have just figured out how to shrink all the photos I have to upload I will try to add to this post as time goes along and I have it. Lots of pictures to show progress and will have to figure out how to shrink plans to post too.

After struggling with it and the extremely slow uploading speed of my TOT internet connection, I find it just too time consuming to do what I want to do and post pictures for your comments on this excellent forum.

Am sending daily email progress to many friends which is quite easy when done via email and not having to shrink then upload the pictures to the website. If any of you are interested, let me know somehow with your email and I will include you on my daily emails of progress.
brianks

Re: Building in Khanom

Postby unclezillion » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Welcome. Look forward to reading about your build.
unclezillion

Postby brianks » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Khanom lot start 010.jpg
Most of the front is now filled. A lot more trees in back and two rows on side.
Khanom & Blue Wood House 001.jpg
Here is the front of the plot.

I don't know how much I will have the patience to post at the rate it takes to shrink the pictures, place them somewhere then slowly upload on slow TOT connection. Were now two weeks past this point and lots to show but would have to spend lots of time like writing a book to bring up to date. Just too bad it such a slow and laborious process to post the pictures.
brianks

Postby unclezillion » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm

why don't you download gimp (free)load your image click image>scale image>enter the new size>save job done. Time = about 10 seconds or upload to photobucket and click img and enter the url of your pic :)
unclezillion

Postby brianks » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Appreciate the suggestions but your speaking almost Greek to me. I can now downsize the images BUT the real frustrating problem is still the time it takes to Upload them onto the site. Way too slow for me with this TOT connection and no alternative.
brianks

Postby brianks » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Have finally decided to just start from where we are now and forget the past. Trying a different path to get the pictures to the site now. No work today as workers got paid yesterday. Tomorrow I go to Puckett to see Peble Tec Pool finishes in place of tile for pool. Were a little over two weeks into the project now and seems to be moving quickly. Look closely and you can see vertical collums with 8 rebar pieces instead of the usual 4. Builder asked if he could do it and since I am paying for all materials I agreed. Those vertical columns should be very strong IF the cement around them is solid around them. Base of the vertical collums are 1.5 meters in the ground and on top of a large rebar platform. Verticals coming up to the foundation are in 40 x 40cm columns so they are solid cement with no air pockets. So far much stronger than specked in plans.

Have labor only contract with builder and we pay for all materials. He has no incentive to scrimp on materials but on the other hand we don't run around trying to find the best prices on everything. Its like cement at 1,700 baht a meter for a truck load. He orders and gets from Sichon at that price but if ordered here in Khanom would be 1,800-1,900 baht per sq.m. He seems to know the best suppliers for products in our area. So far so good!

If I have more time will try to show some pictures over the past two weeks. I am pleased that I finally figured out a way to get the pictures up on the site with much less hassle.
Attachments
Foundation Forms.jpg
Foundation is being formed now. Yes, bad pic. taker letting string get in front of lens.
brianks

Postby brianks » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Gee whiz, I maxed out on pictures for site. Now maybe I can bring you up to speed with a few shots from the beginning. Unfortunately the website software wants you to load the pictures BACKWARDS (I guess) which makes NO sense to me so you have to follow pictures from bottom to top. Think I have covered all the major steps so far. Will have to figure out how to post the plans in low res format. I am ready for any and all questions and comments as I do expect some excellent feedback from this crew.
Attachments
Interlocking rebar.jpg
Foundation rebar being formed. Note how it interlocks with post. This base was only one that had to be raised a few cm with cement. Count the 8 rebar rods in post.
Collums filled.jpg
Foundation posts done and hole filled.
Forms on Collums.jpg
Cement around post is 40 x 40cm sq. not the 20 sq. called for in plans. Builders idea for solid foundation.
Pour cement on foundation rebar.jpg
Pour the cement over the rebar.
Rebar in Ground.jpg
See rebar for base and vertical post on top of it.
Dig foundation and set center.jpg
Dig foundation post holes and set the center where the vertical post will go.
Layout House 001.jpg
Laying out the foundation posts for digging.
brianks

Postby brianks » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Oh, my was able to upload the house plans so you can now see the ultimate objective. Not a real large house but very practical for wife and I as we lived in one quite similar for 2 plus years and liked its simplicity.

Don't know if I mentioned earlier but we ended up with more land than we thought we were purchasing. Builder had people from Land Office come out and measure and find the posts for the site and discovered that instead of 40 meters across the front we really had 45 meters across the back and 44 across the front. Our house plot only takes up 30 meters of the frontage of the lot. Wanted to leave a corridor for crew to come in and clean and harvest the Oil Palms. If we wanted we could put a road down there and sub divide the property in back of the house. The corner of our plot is in the middle of our neighbors driveway. Will probably build our fence around that and let him be as we do want to be good neighbors as they have been to us so far. Yes 4.4 rai instead of only 4+ rai. Cost per rai came down another 25,000 baht.
Attachments
CCF03122013_00001.jpg
More detailed plan for house
CCF03122013_00000.jpg
Overall plan for plot.
brianks

Postby brianks » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Today cement poured in forms that were done.
Attachments
Alignment string on foundation pour.jpg
Pour back foundation other side veiw.jpg
Pour back foundation.jpg
Poured cement in forms that were done
brianks

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

brianks wrote:Today cement poured in forms that were done.

It looks as if you have a potential problem. Unless the ring beam is never going to get wet near the top.

The concrete should have been poured to completely cover the steel by at least 25mm in one contiguous pour. As it is if the ring beam gets water on it you will have a path for it to reach the re-bar and you will get rusting of the rebar and failure of the ring beam.

I don't know if there is anything you can do to stop this problem now.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:17 am

Yes that is very strange to not finish off the concrete over the top of the steel. Why was that? too late for another load.? Your best bet now I would think, would depend on whether it's above your finished ground level where the render and a good quality Acrylic paint should keep out the rain,or if below the ground some sort of waterproofing would best be applied.
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 am

Hi Brianks,

I pressume that you are going to tie your ground floor concrete slab into the beams, and that is why you have left part of your reinforcement exposed. Have seen this done many times before.

Suggest, that you might want to give the exposed concrete surface on the ring beam a light scabble (before it gets too hard). Then just before you pour your concrete slab on to the ring beam, coat the ring beam concrete surface with some bonding agent and a cement slurry mix. You will get a good bond between the two that way.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby gliffaes » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:34 pm

i cant see any benefit in more steel in the columns?
I thought concrete under compression was very strong, if anything more steel in the beams.
gliffaes

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Brianks,

Gliffaes is basically correct, in most cases your column is under a downward axial load (i.e. acting in a compressive mode) and then the concrete column cross sectional area, does most of the work under that compression. The dead weight of say the roof frame & roof tiles, tends to ensure this is the majority situation.

A better option for you, if you wanted to increase your column strength (compressive load capacity) say to support a heavy roof structure or floor above, would have been to go for 6 bars and increase the column size from 200mm x 200mm to 250 x 250mm, as this 50mm increase in columns dimension, would give you a 50% increase on cross sectional column area and hence a 50% increase on compressive strength of that column under your vertical load.

It’s not very often that the column goes into tension mode in a residential dwelling, maybe in a cyclone when half the roof has already lifted off. In typical windy circumstance, the dead weight of the roof tends to ensure the column remains in a compressive mode.

The reinforcement (although providing some compressive strength input) is a relatively small cross sectional area compared to that of the concrete surface. FYI: The reinforcement (bars) are more for when a columns or beam is designed to act or can be forced to act into a bending mode and can have a high shear force on part of that column or beam. This is where the bars and ligature combine and do their work, as they are more effective in shear that the concrete.

Six 12mm diameter reo bars in the column with ligatures at 200 centers should be fine, although you now have 8 bars. Nevertheless you are quite safe with what you have, as a column.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby brianks » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. That is precisely why I wanted to post on the forum. As I said before I don't understand why the cement was not poured to the top of the rebar. It was for a part in the center but the rest left uncovered. I do understand exactly what you guys are saying and that was why I was initially concerned. I never have seen this before and immediately asked wife to call builder and ask why. Unfortunately he gave an answer to wife but I don't think she understands so could not communicate it to me in any way I could understand it. Will have to bore in on this more to find out what the reasoning is now.

Have posted today's activity. Going to BKK tomorrow to take care of a lot of things there and in Hua Hin on way back. Won't be posting again until Wed. (earliest if we get back during daylight) or for sure Thursday evening. As I knew going into this project I would have to try to stay on top of the building to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Yellow caution flag went up when builder asked me to mark where all of the plumbing drains went. I had to show him on the plans where they all were since all the sinks, toilets and shower drains were all showing on the plans.

Question: How big do the sewer containers need to be? We have 3 toilets and plans call for two sewer containers. Builder was asking about 1,000 or 1,200 liter ones. I just checked our plans and had wife translate that it calls for Cotto or Dos 1,800 or 3,000. Any comments or advise here? Up in Hua Hin our builder had rather large fiberglass containers because he once had a problem with the plastic kind. I would assume the fiberglass ones are expensive and they certainly were large.

Thanks again for all your comments and advise.
Attachments
Foundation forms front.jpg
More new foundation in front of back
Foundation stripped.jpg
Stripped foundation
brianks

Next

Return to Your Building Story