Slow build north of Udon Thani

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Slow build north of Udon Thani

Postby luffe1639 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi All

I know I am starting this tread a bit late as we actually started this build several months ago,, anyway will try to start from the beginning and post some photos and plans :D
We bought the 1 rai plot which was basically a big overgrown mess with a muddy hole/lake in one corner, we then started clearing it and ended up putting around 300 truck loads of soil on it

Palle
Attachments
IMG_1516.JPG
The Boss is counting and checking all the loads
IMG_1799.JPG
filling up the land
IMG_1739.JPG
empty lake, the neighbors catch the last fish
IMG_1696.JPG
starting clearing the site
luffe1639

Re: Slow build north of Udon Thani

Postby luffe1639 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm

My wife somehow got the idea of placing some big concrete drain pipes in front of the land before we raised the land, probably a ok idea
Attachments
IMG_1784.JPG
drain pipes
IMG_1547.JPG
just about ready
IMG_1524.JPG
looks better now
luffe1639

Postby TIKKY » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 am

Hi palle, what your quote to fill your land? or how much per truck?
TIKKY

Postby gliffaes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 am

Well your wife looks a lovely woman although I do note shes holding a machete!!! :lol:
gliffaes

Postby luffe1639 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm

@Tikky, if I remember right we paid about 350 baht/load including a tractor to smooth it out, wife just told me the price have risen to 400 this year, the loads are not huge and I guess you always need more than expected, Ill check with her how many loads actually were used

@gliffaes, yes, looks scary with that machete, she is good at keeping the workers under control.. not me though :lol:
luffe1639

Postby pipoz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 pm

luffe,

Can I ask was the TB 350 for a 6 wheel or 10 wheel truck load and what sort of quality was the fill (clay, good growing soil or what)

Can you PM me a contact name and phone number for fill Supplier

pipoz
pipoz

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm

pipoz wrote:luffe,
Can you PM me a contact name and phone number for fill Supplier

pipoz

Not enough posts to PM but you can go through dozer.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby TIKKY » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 am

Thank you for the information. I think I have many things to learn from your building experience.

I hope I don't have to hold a machete to keep the contractor or the builder stay under my control..... :lol:
TIKKY

Postby luffe1639 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Its the usual Isaan soil, red color with mixed clay a few smaller stones etc. in it, gets damn hard in dry times, we planted some Papaya trees and chilis in it temporarily and they grow surprisingly fast and well
luffe1639

Postby luffe1639 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 am

I'll just upload a few more pics
Attachments
IMG_0606.JPG
Hmm, they try to find water..!
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0918.JPG
Digger arriving to help removing a big tree stub
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
The girls start tying the steel for the perimeter wall
IMG_0972.JPG
suddenly there was a new motorbike needed
IMG_1547.JPG
ready
luffe1639

Postby TIKKY » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi palle,
Recently I had contracted a few companies which ones I unhappied with the price of filling and clearing the land.

Last week , I spoke with one of contractors and he said that he charged 800 thb per 10 wheel truck ( 10 sqm2/10 wheel truck) . I need 50 trucks instead 43 trucks for my land, but he cloudn't give me the price of clearing the land until he saw it. I thought" ok, fair enough" then I asked my brother to show the land plot to contractor yesterday in the morning and I phoned the contractor in the afternoon for clearing price and total price. He told me total price was 95,000thb . I was :shock: ! , then I asked him how much to clear the land ( 848sqm), he said 15,000 thb. I said it should be 40,000+15,000= 55,000 thb, so I had to say no to him straight away . How does the price raise up that high suddenly??????

I wonder if you can give me your contractor tel. number ? that will help me feel better and have another hope .

Thank you.
TIKKY

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 pm

TIKKY wrote:How does the price raise up that high suddenly??????

Get the Thais to do all calling and negotiating and stay way out of sight. That way you might get local prices, not westerner prices.
If they even sniff a westerner is around, prices can shoot up 100-200%
You will end up going through stacks of builders/contractors until you find the ones that don't try to steal from westerners.
Our ratio here was about 5 to 1 (that's 5 BS people to every 1 fair person at the same price irrespective of thai/foreigner).
Most notorious for trying to rip off foreigners (for us) was the soil people, electrician, plumbers, renderers, painters, etc. Oh and aircon shops.
So ye, good luck...
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby TIKKY » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Thank you for your comment. I am Thai lady and I speak thai( local language) with contractor, I didn't mention about my english husband to him because I knew the price might raise up. End of the day I am not sure my brother or neightbour would tell the contractor. :?: :?:

I think they rip Thai people off too...... :cry: ......hope I can find a good one.
TIKKY

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 am

TIKKY wrote:Thank you for your comment. I am Thai lady and I speak thai( local language) with contractor, I didn't mention about my english husband to him because I knew the price might raise up. End of the day I am not sure my brother or neightbour would tell the contractor. :?: :?:

I think they rip Thai people off too...... :cry: ......hope I can find a good one.

Ok should be easier then. However, be careful if they ask you are "mia falang?" or "barn falang?" - my wife Bee has also found out that if they know its a westerner house its the same problem.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby gliffaes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 am

TIKKY wrote:Thank you for your comment. I am Thai lady and I speak thai( local language) with contractor, I didn't mention about my english husband to him because I knew the price might raise up. End of the day I am not sure my brother or neightbour would tell the contractor. :?: :?:

Yes Tikky they are just as happy ripping off their own countrymen/women too.
One of the biggest problems is also price fixing where they all agree the same price locally with no one stepping out of line, probably with fear of reprisals.
Watch them 110% and good luck.
gliffaes

Next

Return to Your Building Story