WANGSOMBOON BUILD & NO-NONSENSE FARANG

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: WANGSOMBOON BUILD & NO-NONSENSE FARANG

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm

MyobJefke wrote:
Max, yr build shows clearly that it IS really possible to let them work properly.... with the right supervision and close follow-up. Well done

It is for sure possible to get excellent quality with local workers - one does not even need a construction company as long as one is willing to take the role of builder/project manager.
It will be hard, frustrating, hot (have 6+ t-shirts ready per shift) but the satisfaction is immense of stepping into that role and executing it to completion yourself. Find and retain the
best local workers you can, pay a little extra so they stay with you, and show them how you want it down. If treated with respect, I found that many are more than happy to satisfy you
to your quality requirements - those who aren't let them go quickly and reward the ones who will.

Chok dee...
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 am

I have to agree with you Max , in all the years that I have spent on my slow build, with the obvious help of my Partner and the right attitude towards them to start with,I have no complaints with any of my workers. Maybe if I had been in more of a hurry things may not have gone so smoothly. Then again the North/East is probably a different kettle of fish to Bangkok /Phuket etc;
Mike Judd

Postby maximus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 am

have always engaged a builder(not a construction company) and have been on both sides of the fence ,paying him on a daily basis,and on a entire contract,with milestones in place.

from my experience having a builder on your payroll, daily or contract,takes all the responsibilty off your shoulders ,in sourcing labour ,engaging sub contractors etc etc,the list is endless

if one take the other option, and becomes the box and dice , he is leaving himself wide to open, due to raft of reasons that his builld will be falling down all around him, not to mention being put in a white building for medical treatment

I.M.O.
to do a D.I.Y, unless you have qualifications in the building trade ,is a dangerous option to take

and on the face value, by engaging a builder does not cost a a arm and leg to do so

a construction company is entirely a different matter

maximus
maximus

Postby MyobJefke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm

update

Yesterdays concreting was a little disappointing....
The lad who had digged the holes for the reinforcing-poles the day before really looked OK that afternoon :roll:
but...
When returning yesterday morning at our plot.... he already started the concreting of the poles in the digged holes....
The check-up of the first pole showed a disaster of craftmanship...
As many times stated in this forum.... when they work without supervision they like to "cut edges"
To make it more easy for him.... he first filled the hole half with riverstones, then a thin layer of cementmix and ending with a thin layer of premixed concrete.... so the endresult looked as all was poured in one go :?
Lucky i just arrived in time there.....
2013-02-04 09.15.29.jpg
the hole he already had filled up with river stones an a little cement-mis

I let him clearing the holes again.... and told him to do his work as agreed the day before.
2013-02-04 09.15.44.jpg
taking out again riverstones for normal concreting as required

I didn't trust the lad anymore, stayed 4 hours on his side the check every move he did for mixing concrete, pouring concrete in the holes around the poles and vibrating (with piece of wood) to avoid the empty spots in the concrete around the poles.
2013-02-04 09.17.19.jpg
holes almost filled with concrete

After the first stiffening of the concrete in the holes, the reinforcing poles had to be secured with a concrete wig around the steel-pins in the main electrical poles.
2013-02-04 09.16.06.jpg
steel- bolts for securing reinforcing poles to electrical pole. those pins will also be concreted as a wig

Because i didn't trust this worker anymore, i decided to pour the wigs myself, so i payed him his money.... 1000 bath for 10 hours work.... much to much and a bad experience to keep in mind for me, and sended him back home. As Max said before.... when they not satisfying.... get quickly rid of them :).
Late afternoon i poured myself the concrete securing wigs and protected them for the sun by used rice-bags.
This morning i returned to pour water over the concrete to avoid intensive drying.
pics will follow.
Now waiting for the electric-pole contractor for erecting the additional 9m pole.

We got prices for the electrical connection to the main supply.
Because the gf not have a family-book yet on this land, we first ask for a temporarely connection.
15 A - single face 2750 bath
30 A - single face 4450 bath
For the installation of the final connection to the main-supply after having the familybook, we will be charged 12900 bath for the 30 A-connection
All info gatered by telephone... applying for connections have to be done at local office from Electrical company, then they come check the installed overheadline on our property before installing the connection to the main-supply.
keep you informed
MyobJefke

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 am

What ever road one takes, some one has to be over seeing every stage of the build. Most of our members take on that chore mainly for cost reasons ,other wise they would just just choose a builder who's completed houses satisfy them and sit back waiting for "Move in time". I don't have enough knowledge about Thailand's laws as far as relying on getting defects remedied,after the event, that's why it's always wise to not be ahead with payments especially with a builder. There are enough Post's about changing builders half way through the project to give you warning there. Obviously the degree of D.I.Y. involved depends on what previous knowledge one has, either practical or in theory, but that is where the savings Can ? come in or at least a satisfactory build. Thailand doesn't have a mortgage on Shoddy builders, they are all over the world, Supervision ! is the key.
Mike Judd

Postby MyobJefke » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

update

as promised the pics of the gussets (wig)
2013-02-06 17.45.06.jpg
gusset insert to secure steel pin

2013-02-06 17.44.46.jpg
protection against sun for better curing of concrete

i made a little mistake about prices electrical connections
Temporarely connection 30 A - single face 6500 bath instead of 4450 bath
MyobJefke

Postby MyobJefke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:42 pm

finding the right concept for my design....

As i already posted before, i should like make the design of the mainhouse, inspired on that wonderfull build out there in phuket :)
_GGD0183.jpg

IMHO i really think this open concept is right for the thai weather-conditions.... but i doubt a little bit about 2 things in this concept...
1. The heat accumulation in the concrete roof
2. The heat accumulation on the concrete floors near the many windows

What are yr thoughts about???? any opinions????
MyobJefke

Postby gliffaes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

MyobJefke wrote:finding the right concept for my design....

As i already posted before, i should like make the design of the mainhouse, inspired on that wonderfull build out there in phuket :)
_GGD0183.jpg

IMHO i really think this open concept is right for the thai weather-conditions.... but i doubt a little bit about 2 things in this concept...

TAke into consideration the wind with your design, it gets very strong here, I planned to have an open side on the maids house which i quickly closed in due to driving rain.
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Your windows will be the main source of heat.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Galee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 pm

A problem with 'open concept' designs are insects. If you can keep the mosquitoes out fine. If not make sure your covered up and have plenty of repellent.
Galee

Postby MyobJefke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Your windows will be the main source of heat.

No windows will be exposed on direct sunlight. Surrounding patios and wide overhanging sheds will provide shadow, exept for minor important rooms as... bathrooms/storerooms.

Additional i am still thinking to provide each window, for security-reasons (located in the fields... no direct neighbours), with the in thailand wellknown rollerdoors. These can provide additional shadow in the months the sun stay low.

Integration of these doors in the concrete beam above the windows is up to today still a major headacke :roll:
MyobJefke

Postby MyobJefke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 pm

gliffaes wrote:
MyobJefke wrote:finding the right concept for my design....

_GGD0183.jpg

TAke into consideration the wind with your design, it gets very strong here, I planned to have an open side on the maids house which i quickly closed in due to driving rain.

Being aware of this, it not really bother me to much :wink:
The design will be based on outdoor-life, an a "little rainwater" inside after a heavy windy downpour is not a disaster as long as it not causes damage to the building. Materials and construction will be choosen accordingly.
MyobJefke

Postby MyobJefke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Galee wrote:A problem with 'open concept' designs are insects. If you can keep the mosquitoes out fine. If not make sure your covered up and have plenty of repellent.

rigth.... many weeds and plants will integrated inside and outside :D
MyobJefke

Postby fredlk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:57 pm

MyobJefke wrote:
Galee wrote:A problem with 'open concept' designs are insects. If you can keep the mosquitoes out fine. If not make sure your covered up and have plenty of repellent.

rigth.... many weeds and plants will integrated inside and outside :D

I have found that where I have no plants I have no mosquitoes like around my house and where there are plants there are mosquitoes.
fredlk

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I 2nd fred's comment, so a rethink of a totally open plan might be in order.
My plan is a 4M X 4M screened area, where I can retreat when the mozzies get bad.
Worst time is dawn and dusk, but the little buggers are around 24/7.
Just my 2 satangs
Mark
Makmak456

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story