My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:30 pm

[quote="scudman
It looks nice. Basic and functional. [/quote]

Hi Scudman. Thanks for your comments.

Basic, functional inexpensive and not looking too shabby were the basic criteria, so I think we've hit the remit. I had some concerns at the start but its turned out OK, and it is at the back of the house and only visible from the road on one side of the house and only until my palms get established, so no biggy.

I took a photo of how the group will look together. Ok there's still a bit of work to do before I've finished but they seem to fit together quite well.
20150317_165927.jpg
I'll post another one once the car port and connecting paths are completed for a better impression.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:49 pm

[quote="scudman. Saw some pictures of the air pollution happening now in that neck of the woods. Don't envy anyone with breathing difficulties. Hope you are wearing a mask during the worst of it.[/quote]

Thanks Scudman, yes we are taking precautions.

Jan and I lived in Singapore for 10 years so we are very familiar coping with air pollution/ haze and I still have several of our totobobo masks, which are very effective in combating the worst of it. The Singapore government was also very proactive in communicating across all media the PSI updates regularly throughout the days when there were spikes. They kept people well informed and offered advisories on what to do, especially to the more vulnerable groups within the population such as old folks, children and reminding joggers et al to refrain from outdoor exercise.

I saw an English language news bulletin from Chiang Mai earlier in the week. The reading was 300plus, and the reporter said that the tourist were mostly Chinese at this time of year and the issue would be cleared up next month when the rains come. Something to look forward to.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 pm

scudman wrote:
jomoblues wrote:Colours in the final photo are a little bit muted/ distorted due to the atrocious atmospheric pollution that we have been trying to cope with for the past week or so.
JoMo.

It looks nice. Basic and functional. Saw some pictures of the air pollution happening now in that neck of the woods. Don't envy anyone with breathing difficulties. Hope you are wearing a mask during the worst of it.

Most masks that people use are mostly placebo unless you have a real one, like the one I use when painting or using my SCMS, but I wouldn't want to use it when I don't need it.
image.jpg
3M dust mask
image.jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Sometimewoodworker

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi STWW.

Yep i'm sure your mask will do the trick. Totobobo masks are also specifically designed for the job, are originally from Singapore and although not the most attractive of faceware they are a little less Darth Vader-ish than yours.

Agree most people wear a mask that actually increases their risk by allowing particulates to pass through the mask which they re-breath.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:24 pm

We have actually made some progress on the car port project as well, although it does seem to be beset by interruptions. I mentioned in an earlier post that my builder had sub contracted the electrical work to an electrician colleague of his that he's worked with for some years. The electrician also does ceiling work, so (with agreement from Jan), Chang San has also sub contracted the car port ceiling job to Chang Joy, the electrician. My builder's getting into a bit of a time crunch due to the 5 day break last month and then the lottery win drinking session followed by the family bereavement, so he thought giving the ceiling work to his colleague would bring him back on track aiming to complete everything by the end of the month. I'm confident that he'll do so provided there are no more unexpected interruptions and as he's meant to start another project by the first week of April we need a strong finish from all concerned.

Chang Joy made a start on the car port ceiling on Monday and arrived with his team of 3 assistants augmented by his wife and sister-in-law, so 6 in total. His SIL doesn't normally work with him, but the back story is that her husband is working in Taiwan and for the past 3 months hasn't sent any money home (I think I can guess why) so she needs work. Sadly she only lasted an hour. They were working the ceiling on scaffolds and she lost her footing and fell on the concrete floor head first, knocking herself out cold so was rushed to hospital by the remainder of the team. No work was completed Monday. Prognosis was OK. She is not too badly hurt thank goodness, but has lacerations to her arms as she fell grabbing at aluminium which cut her rather badly and the knock to the base of her skull caused no more than heavy bruising. Tuesday the team, now reduced to the 4 men, at last made some progress.
1.jpg

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:33 pm

It's a huge area. I'm not sure Jan and I realised just how big it would appear to be until we got the ceiling done, but it's huge.
In addition to parking cars it will come in very handy as an entertainment space as well.

Work is progressing well and Chang San's team managed to get most of the smart board up on day two. You may notice that we intend to have sloped eaves on the garage as well as on the tank room.
2.jpg
Jan says, 'I just want it finished!'

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 pm

MEN AT WORK. But not from the land Down Under.
5.jpg
Men at Work

Now this is what I like to see. Activity.
Fascia being painted, columns being painted, decorative Bua being applied, ceiling being skimmed, electrical work in progress. More power to their elbows!

JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:29 am

CAR PORT AND TANK ROOM COMPLETION.

I paid my builder his 2nd payment (of 2) yesterday, so I suppose bar in a few tweaks I can declare the car port and tank room projects completed. The builder is off for a few days as his sister and Dutch husband have just flown over for a visit. He hasn't seen her for quite some time, and as she's his only sibling, he's keen to spend some time with her. Natural enough. He does have a few small jobs to complete for us---the car port tiles need two coats of sealer and there's a lamp-post (????) that Jan wants fitted in the garden, plus the base for her spirit house and two connecting paths to the car port and tank room to tile, so he's promised to come back before Songkran and wrap up all the outstanding jobs. He's delayed his next project until after the festive break so he'll no doubt be happy to come back and earn some extra cash for the 5 day booze fest.

Jan and I were reviewing the projects against the original specs and as usual we've extended the brief and overspent the budget. Pathetic, I know and even though we do try to manage within our means, as is usual for us we always seem to come up with new ideas to be included as the project develops. So even though we are going to account for them separately this time, we have still overspent the budget by 10%.

As we were in Do Home yesterday ordering the tiles for the connecting paths, the thought struck us that we needed to put guttering on the car port roof. So we checked out their vinyl guttering system and after a quick phone call to our builder to confirm he'll fit it for us we purchased the required guttering and two additional DOS 2000L water storage tanks. We currently store 6000L filtered for domestic use, and we will now have an additional 4000L from the garage roof for outdoor use, so 10,000L water storage capacity in total. We are currently using around 12,000L a month so we are getting close to holding a reserve of a month's supply for those all too frequent supply interruptions which we are subjected to. It's also another job to add to chang's list.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:45 am

COST BREAKDOWN FOR CAR PORT AND TANK ROOM (formerly known as my lock-up)

But first a couple of pics. Car Port
20150330_163212.jpg
Car Port from the front
20150330_164527.jpg
from the rear

And Tank Room
20150330_165251.jpg

Connecting paths yet to tile.

Driveway project is next. We've already signed off the design and cost. We are using SCG Solutions, formerly TOP HAT the same folks who did our house roof. They have recently increased the scope of services to include driveways and various other home design and installation projects. Not cheap, but I'm hoping they can do as good a job as they did on the house roof. We'll see.
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:12 am

Dendijk asked if I'd share the cost for the car port, which I've detailed below.

Just a couple of comments for consideration when looking at my figures. I'm not a pedant so there are some roundings and there are also some shared materials costs which were difficult to say specifically 'that's for the car port' or 'that's for the tank room', so I've apportioned them at a ratio of 3:2.

CAR PORT.

Labour Cost. Baht 86,400.
Materials Cost. Baht 288,600.
Total Cost. Baht 375,000

Includes absolutely everything up to this point but not the guttering. The builder did not charge us for the hire of the form work, which was a surprise.

Car Port dimensions. Column centre line to centre line 6 metres by 8 metres. Under the roof line 7.4 metres by 9.4 metres.

TANK ROOM.

Labour Cost. Baht 58,500.
Materials Cost. Baht 116,500.
Total Cost. 175,000.

Budget for the combined project was set at Baht 500,000 and we spent Baht 550,000 on the 'original' project so an overspend of Baht50,000 or (10%).

There's Baht8,000 for the guttering plus Baht 12,600 for the two storage tanks and chang's additional payments to assign somewhere. I shall have to ask the Minister for Home Affairs where she's going to put them!!

JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Excellent value and great looking.

I think I will copy you to some extent with both the Tank Room and the Carport

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 am

pipoz wrote:Excellent value and great looking.

I think I will copy you to some extent with both the Tank Room and the Carport

pipoz

Hi Pipoz.
I quite agree with you---getting two buildings completed to a decent standard for just over Baht500k is very satisfying.

When I think back to what I paid the contractor for the main house it makes me shudder. If I'd have used this latest builder I'd have saved myself a considerable amount of money (and stress). That said I think I would only ever have used him for the basic fabrication up to and including rendering. Chang San and his team were good at that but less accomplished on finishings and the more detailed work such as tiling and joinery. Maybe if there's a next time?

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 am

Chang San came back as promised after spending a few days with his sister to finish off all of the sundry bits and bobs that we had asked him to do for us in addition to the work that we had originally contracted him for. I listed them on a previous post, but the two main requirements were to fix the car port guttering and to tile the paths.

The builder said he hadn't done guttering before but Do Home provided a comprehensive 'HOW TO" booklet with step-by-step diagrams with the purchase which reassured him. He's done a nice job and the only problem I've noticed now that we've had some rain is that a couple of the joints are leaking. Jan said she'll call him back after Songkran to fix them but I may do them myself if I get bored, as I'm not going anywhere while they are throwing water around.
20150406_175508.jpg

The builder also laid the concrete stand for the two water tanks.
20150406_174820.jpg

The other main job was tiling the paths. We've used a 400mm by 400mm concrete tile, 4cms thick to connect the walkways between the car port and tank room to the main house paths. We bought the tiles from Do Home at Baht 55ea, although they are available in all the main sheds but prices vary considerably and so it pays to shop around. Do Home were the cheapest but we've seen the exact same tile for as much as Baht80 on our travels round the Udon ring road.
20150406_174243.jpg

We've sealed all the tiles for the car port and paths with two coats of Beger Silane Siloxane water repellent.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm going to have to invest in a few trucks loads of fill dirt now that we've finished building. Over the years we must have lost quite a bit in solution when we've had the main rains. In consequence the car port, which is exactly at the same height as the paths around the house sits 20cms higher than the soil level. (I've yet to park the car in the car port!!) I know we are going to lay the driveway next but just before we get underway with that project I need to get some soil in the dress off the areas around the two new buildings and the paths.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Jan and I have deliberated over the type of driveway that we want for quite some time. Indeed, our conversations stretch back to the rains of last year when our land was a quagmire. Having to cope with all of the mud for weeks on end brought us to a resolution to have it sorted out before next year's rains. Well we're there now and we still haven't sorted it out yet! Initial delays were understandable as we were in the middle of building the house at the time, and our land was a building site with two teams of workers living there. So we kicked around design ideas in a very nebulous sort of way but with a commitment to sort it out as a priority once the house was finished. Unfortunately we stalled for far too long, and after the house was completed we changed our minds and again decided to delay it until after the car port and tank room were finished. There would still be time. Well we now find ourselves right back where we were last year---viz; muddy ground and still no driveway. The rains are due anytime now, in fact we had a torrential downpour yesterday and we still haven't actually made a start yet, although we did get close.

Thinking about the type of driveway we wanted we considered a number of options in our attempts to arrive at a point on the cost vs quality graph where we were both comfortable. First consideration was just putting down concrete in straight lines to the house and garage as the cheapest option but we weren't at all pleased with the thought of that once we saw it on paper. So we thought about putting down concrete for now and tiling on top at a later date, but that would double the cost and we'd still have to live with the bare concrete until such time as we could afford to tile it. So the final idea we had was to use block pavers, although we knew this would be more expensive and by this time we had also decided that we didn't want straight lines. To our minds they looked terrible. So we called up SCG solutions. Our friends from 'Top Hat' who did our house roof who have now morphed into 'SCG solutions'. (Siam Cement Group).

After several meetings and reworked drawings we arrived at a design that we liked so we agreed to contract them for the job. I had impressed on them in all our meetings that we needed a quick start once we had reached agreement because of the impending rains and I was assured that it would not be a problem. Jai yen yen. We were informed that the 'cobble stones (their description, not mine) were in stock in their warehouse in Udon and the team who were just finishing a driveway in Nakhon Ratchasima would be available to start straight after the Songkran holiday. The work would take a week to 10 days from start to finish so we should be OK.

Excellent.
JoMo.
jomoblues

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story