My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm

pipoz wrote:Looks good, what height did you end up going with from Slab to Fascia level

And what pitch for the Roof

pipoz

Hi Pipoz.

The distance from the slab to the bottom edge of the fascia board is 2.95mtrs clearance.
The roof pitch is 30 degrees.

R/ John

Todays progress on the car port roof.
20150226_171833.jpg

The way this team operates I estimate another two days work and the roof should be complete...... Flashing and dry tech system to finalise, the awkward tiles and ridge tiles to fix in place, paint the fascia and fix the eaves filler units and that should be it.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:02 pm

jomoblues wrote:
pipoz wrote:Looks good, what height did you end up going with from Slab to Fascia level

And what pitch for the Roof

pipoz

Hi Pipoz.

The distance from the slab to the bottom edge of the fascia board is 2.95mtrs clearance.
The roof pitch is 30 degrees.

R/ John

Todays progress on the car port roof.
20150226_171833.jpg

The way this team operates I estimate another two days work and the roof should be complete...... Flashing and dry tech system to finalise, the awkward tiles and ridge tiles to fix in place, paint the fascia and fix the eaves filler units and that should be it.

JoMo

Roof pitch looks the right choice for the 2.95 height. I did a 30 Degree pitch on mine and think that it looks good from all distances and angles.

To me, the 25 Degree pitch just looked to flat, when you got up closer to the house.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm

pipoz wrote:
Roof pitch looks the right choice for the 2.95 height. I did a 30 Degree pitch on mine and think that it looks good from all distances and angles.

To me, the 25 Degree pitch just looked to flat, when you got up closer to the house.

pipoz

Hi Pipoz.
I agree with you on the roof pitch. Our house, car port and lock-up roofs are all 30 degrees. Looks good on both single storey and double storey buildings. I have a friend in Roi Et and his single storey house roof has a 25 degree pitch and to me it looks like its been sat on by Roald Dahl's BFG.

Also agree with your comment regarding your house. It does look good; very impressive altogether especially considering that you are having to manage the project remotely for the most part.

R/ John
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Detail of the eave fillers on the car port.
20150227_173844 (2).jpg

An absolute necessity IMO when using ridged tiles.
Top Hat missed one small section of about 1 metre above the single storey extension on the main house and the birds eventually found it. I only noticed it with all the mess that they were creating so I got the ladders up and fished out two house sparrow nests over the week-end. Had the guys back today to fix it.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Update on the car port roof.
20150302_170855.jpg

Tiling is now finished and the builders will be moving on to electrical wiring and starting on the installation of the ceiling from tomorrow. The floor tiles for the car port and lock-up were delivered today. We actually bought them from Do Home, which is my least favourite retailer amongst the big shed operators but as always we did the rounds to check pricing and they were considerably cheaper than Global and Thai Watsadu in this instance. Baht 227 per box as compared to Baht 279 and Baht 295 respectively.

Jan and I also ordered the decorative bua for the six columns today. They will be very similar to the ones on the house columns.

JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby dendijk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 pm

jomoblues wrote:Update on the car port roof.
20150302_170855.jpg

Tiling is now finished and the builders will be moving on to electrical wiring and starting on the installation of the ceiling from tomorrow. The floor tiles for the car port and lock-up were delivered today. We actually bought them from Do Home, which is my least favourite retailer amongst the big shed operators but as always we did the rounds to check pricing and they were considerably cheaper than Global and Thai Watsadu in this instance. Baht 227 per box as compared to Baht 279 and Baht 295 respectively.

Jan and I also ordered the decorative bua for the six columns today. They will be very similar to the ones on the house columns.

JoMo.

Looks great. Can you please share with me what the total price you have paid for this will when its finished?
dendijk

Postby jomoblues » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:18 pm

dendijk wrote:
Looks great. Can you please share with me what the total price you have paid for this will when its finished?

Hi Dendijk.

Yes, I'll be happy to publish the cost of constructing the car port once it's finished.

Thank you for your comments. R/ JoMo.

I'd hoped that we would be finished in about another two weeks but it's likely to slip back a bit now. We were meant to start on the ceiling and electrical wiring on Monday but everything is now on hold. First setback was when the builder's wife's uncle (still with me?) won a few grand on the lottery on Monday. He and two co-workers decided to go out to celebrate after work and never got home that night and haven't been back since. Chang San and his wife plus one other worker came along but as they were missing half the team Chang San decided to switch over to some easier work on the lock-up and leave the car port until they were back up to full strength.

Usually in cases like this when workers go AWOL, when the money runs out the guys will drift back to work once they get their heads cleared. Unfortunately.........an Additional setback.

Today (Thursday) Chang San rang Jan at 7.OO to say that no-one will be at work today as the wife of the guy that won the lottery money died in her sleep last night and as its family they all need to go over and help out. Such is life.

Jan and I arranged delivery of all the electrical stuff yesterday as we were informed that the sparkies would make a start today. My builder has sub contracted the electrical work out. The electrician and his assistant arrived this morning ready to make a start but when Jan told them what we had learned earlier they too decided against working today and said that they'd come back once my builder returns.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:50 am

I was a little surprised but also pleased to see Chang San and most of his team return to work on Friday given their recent family bereavement. However when Jan spoke to him he said that other family members were taking care of domestic duties and anyway he'd sooner be at work as he was keen to press on with our project as he has another job in the pipeline that he's meant to start by the first week of April.

As he had already made a start on the lock-up roof earlier in the week,
20150303_143943.jpg
he decided that he would work it to a finish.
20150306_144645.jpg

The roof should be finished today (Saturday). We are short of a few tiles and a bit of fascia board, so Jan and I will head off to Home Mart later on this morning and order the bits and pieces needed to finish the job.

Earlier I had some reservations about the look of the building, but now that's its taking shape I'm actually beginning to like the look of it and I'm reasonably confident now that it won't clash with the house and car port.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 am

The workers quickly finished off the roof in the morning. They just had the ridge tiles to complete when I took this pic before Jan and I left to sort out some additional requirements.
1.jpg
And while Jan and I were out buying materials and having a meeting with SCG (more about this later on) the day ran away from us and it was late when we got back home, by which time the builders had made a good start on painting the walls.
2.jpg
As usual they had watered down the paint (primer in this instance). I don't agree with this practise and asked that when they applied the top coats (2) to please ensure that it wasn't diluted.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:54 am

For the lock-up soffit we chose Smart Board, as this is the same material and brand that we used on the house. Our builder is very diplomatic and said that although he prefers to work with Gypsum, if we want Smart Board he'll do as we ask. His reason for preferring gypsum is mainly cosmetic as he said that whereas gypsum seams won't show, with smart board they will eventually crack in some places. He's probably also protecting himself a little bit from possible complaints in the future by pointing out the potential problem now and passing back the final decision for us to make.

He's correct in what he says because that's exactly what's happened with the house. Where we have used gypsum for interior ceilings everything is still perfect but where we've used smart board for the exterior soffits there are many places where the joints have now cracked along the line of union. We still decided to use Smart Board both for the lock-up soffits and the car port ceiling, whilst acknowledging his note of caution.

We also decided to fit the soffit on an angle as we didn't want it appearing to be too low down and maybe interfering with the vented blocks had we fitted it horizontally.
2a.jpg

Oh, just one other thing. Jan never like my Arthur Daley-esque term (old English T.V. progam 'Minder") "Lock-Up' so she's changed it to 'Tank Room' and that will have to be it's description from now on!

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 am

DON'T ASK!
Ten year old JoMo on a family charabanc trip to the seaside one autumn in the early sixties.

"Mother, why do they call it a Charabanc?'
Mother, "Because that's it's name"

"Mother, is it Luminations, or Illuminations?"
John, stop asking so many questions.

I never got to know.

Some details from the 'Tank Room'.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Jan's inspired (I though eccentric at the time) decision to ask the guys to paint the red oxide C sections silver has worked out really well as they blend with the battens and the wall paint just as she predicted. Good Girl!

Exterior lighting. Just one fluorescent strip light on the side of the tank room facing the house.
There's no need for more because my wife has covered the car port with so many lights it will be like a trip to 'Blackpool LOOO-mi- NAY-shuns!!'
4.jpg

Floor Tiles.
Just a cheap functional <Baht200 12 inch tile.
3.jpg

We've just got the mesh to apply on the inside of the slatted blocks and I should be able to start moving some of my 'stuff' in at last.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am

Up to date with the Tank Room.
3.jpg
Undiluted Dulux Weathershield being applied
5.jpg

All the painting is now completed, including walls, fascia and soffits. Today (Friday) the workers are finishing laying the floor tiles on the 50cm wide exterior path that wraps around the 4 sides of the tank room and then just the door to fix and I should be able to sign it off. We will lay a path to connect the tank room to the house patio once Chang has finished work on the car port.

Colours in the final photo are a little bit muted/ distorted due to the atrocious atmospheric pollution that we have been trying to cope with for the past week or so.

JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby scudman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:56 am

jomoblues wrote:Colours in the final photo are a little bit muted/ distorted due to the atrocious atmospheric pollution that we have been trying to cope with for the past week or so.
JoMo.

It looks nice. Basic and functional. Saw some pictures of the air pollution happening now in that neck of the woods. Don't envy anyone with breathing difficulties. Hope you are wearing a mask during the worst of it.
scudman

Postby fredlk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:05 pm

jomoblues wrote:Ten year old JoMo on a family charabanc trip to the seaside one autumn in the early sixties.

I never got to know.

You were lucky!

I still had one final question: "Why?"
And the answer was always: "Because I'm your mother."
fredlk

Postby jomoblues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:12 pm

fredlk wrote:
jomoblues wrote:Ten year old JoMo on a family charabanc trip to the seaside one autumn in the early sixties.

I never got to know.

You were lucky!

I still had one final question: "Why?"
And the answer was always: "Because I'm your mother."

5555 Fred.

By the age of ten and as one of (eventually) 7 children I'd already worked out the answer to that question.
Usually a quick clip round the ear--so I stopped asking!
jomoblues

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story