My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:20 am

[quote="Sometimewoodworker Some times you want a continuous weld some times short 150 mm welds separated by 300mm unwelded is better, to allow flexing of the material. But if it is just spot welded it doesn't sound correct. But without detailed pics it's difficult to know. And you need an expert opinion, which it seems you're getting.[/quote]

Hi STWW.

Thank you for your explanation, which helped me understand why he had used different welds on different sections of the truss. My use of the word 'spot' was wrong and misleading, he did actually employ short welds separated by gaps, but not as precise or as frequent as you suggest. When the engineer came over to check, he did advise the builder to make a few more welds on the main support beams as well as employing some additional C sections to tie the frame together more securely. An additional Baht20k of C section was required for the 2 buildings.

That said, there were no hurt feelings and my builder seemed happy to spend time with the engineer checking over his work. The feed back to Jan was that it was probably OK and certainly better than many he had seen done by local jobbing builders, and with the small improvements he suggested it would be fine.

Jan bought them Lao Khao and tilapia as a motivator.

Thank you for your comments. JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm

The builders are on day off today; Monday 16th Feb and it's rather a fortunate circumstance as we had a heavy downpour for an hour just before dawn this morning, and it's turned the top 5cms of soil in my yard into cloying mud. Hopefully it will have dried out by tomorrow.

The builders have made good progress over the past week, and the only slight hiccups we've had was a day's delay while the engineer came out to check the garage truss and a further day's delay while we waited for Thai Watsadu to complete the delivery of the additional C section. What the builders decided to do so as not to lose the time altogether was to switch their focus back to the 'lock-up'.
1.jpg
2.jpg

I think I need to explain a few things. So I'll start with the most glaring feature, the silver truss!
This is all Jan's thinking so bear with me. We aren't having an interior ceiling (although we'll have a smart board soffit on the outside) as its just for storage, so no need for the additional expense. But then, for reasons best known to her, Jan decided that she didn't want to look at the red oxide painted truss so she had them paint it silver grey, which will come somewhere near to matching the interior colour for the walls. Save a penny on the ceiling and spend it on spray paint, but anything for a quiet life!

There are no windows. This was a decision based on the notion that as we will be storing quite a lot of expensive tools and stuff in there; doing without windows will improve security! Not sure how robust that argument is, but that's the thought.

Main outstanding jobs for the lock up now are applying the render inside and out, fitting the mesh on the inside of the slatted blocks, fixing the battens to the truss in preparation for laying the tiles. Top Hat have said that they will come back once again to check on the tiling and the last job, I imagine, will be laying the floor tiles.

I'm hoping that the painting and tiling will improve the look of the building, which has certainly been designed for function, rather than appearance. If it still looks oppressive to me once its finished I'll soften it all with some hedges and heavy shrubbery planting.

R/ JoMo
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Looks quite good with the natural ventilation blocks

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm

There was a little bit of progress on the car port last week, but as already mentioned the main focus was on the lock up.
A couple of things that did get done were 1) laying in the electric trunking for the power outlets and lighting and 2) finishing the red brick work on the columns.
4.jpg
Almost ready for rendering the columns

Chang San did mention to Jan last night that he'll switch a team back over to the car port when they get back to work tomorrow. One of his guys has already sprayed the additional purchase of C sections with red oxide paint in readiness for Chang San to fabricate the outstanding pieces needed to complete the truss.

JoMo
Attachments
3.jpg
There are 4 main sections yet to complete
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:46 pm

There hasn't been a lot of progress this week, due in part to the additional work that was recommended by the 'Top Hat' engineer to strengthen the car port truss. It's actually proved to be quite a bit more detailed than I had first imagined, however its all done now. The other factor that has held up the progress this week is the weather. We've had a couple of really heavy downpours as well as odd showers through the day and that's interrupted work with the team having to break off when there's been lightning around. All credit to them though as they came to work each day and did what they could, but with constant rain breaks they couldn't maintain their normal output.

They did manage to make a start on the roof battens in between the showers.
20150219_172301.jpg

And we also arranged delivery of the roof tiles and other materials from Home Mart.
20150220_174444.jpg
My el cheapo c-pac monier 13baht concrete tiles

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Today, (Friday) the weather has been a little kinder so the team has been able to work at something like their normal pace. The battens for the car port roof are all just about finished and the truss sections that form the eaves have also mostly been cut to size---- in readiness for the fascia boards to be fitted.
20150220_171441.jpg

The actual shape of the roof is gradually being revealed.
20150220_174427.jpg

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:33 am

13 Baht a Tile is a really good price

How are you doing the detail or sealing between the step in the two roof levels?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:40 pm

pipoz wrote:13 Baht a Tile is a really good price

pipoz

Yes it is, for a proprietary brand. Actually if price was the only consideration then there are some available that are even cheaper. I noticed Thai Watsadu was selling red concrete tiles at Baht11 ea, but they didn't specify which brand.

pipoz wrote:
How are you doing the detail or sealing between the step in the two roof levels?

pipoz

As the car port will have a ceiling we want to be able to ventilate the roof space, so the roof step will allow us to do that.
What we plan to do is fix two fascia boards around the stepped section, one 20cms deep with a 15cms one on top, as per the house fascia.
20150221_134415.jpg

The tiles from the top section of roof will overhang the fascia boards to prevent rain from driving in. We intend to use the C-Pac dry tech system for the flashing; it will sit below the fascia to bond with the tiles of the lower section of roof. Finally, because our tiles are ridged we will use an 'eaves filler unit' system to keep the birds out whilst allowing the warm air from inside the roof space to dissipate.
20150221_134353.jpg

My builder may not be too familiar with this method as I've noticed he's just used concrete to fix the ridge tiles on previous jobs so I've arranged for Khunagon from Top Hat to come over and provide a tutorial for Chang San and his team.

Hope I'm making sense? JoMo
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Are you still on budget or TB 500,000 for your Garage-Carport, or was the TB 500K Budget for the two Buildings

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:34 pm

pipoz wrote:Are you still on budget or TB 500,000 for your Garage-Carport, or was the TB 500K Budget for the two Buildings

pipoz

Baht 500k was the budget for both buildings. We've purchased almost all of the materials already and we know what our final payment to the builder will be, so I'm fairly confident that we will stay within budget. So long as we remain within the original spec we should be fine. My problem in the past has been not knowing when to stop! :)

John
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:58 pm

The plan for today was to get the 6 car port columns rendered in the morning and then start fixing the fascia boards in the afternoon.

Well, we managed to get the columns rendered under lowering skies but then the threatened storm broke and we had a torrential downpour lasting well over an hour which flooded everywhere and washed out the remainder of the day's work. Not sure if the team will be able to work tomorrow; the weather forecast is not too promising.
20150221_172718.jpg
At least we managed to get the columns rendered if nothing else!

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 pm

jomoblues wrote:The plan for today was to get the 6 car port columns rendered in the morning and then start fixing the fascia boards in the afternoon.

Well, we managed to get the columns rendered under lowering skies but then the threatened storm broke and we had a torrential downpour lasting well over an hour which flooded everywhere and washed out the remainder of the day's work. Not sure if the team will be able to work tomorrow; the weather forecast is not too promising.
20150221_172718.jpg

JoMo

I know you have been unlucky with the weather over the past week, as I I get the same story from my build, where they were trying to do some outside painting

Just have to wait until you get a good week of sunshine

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:31 pm

The builder has made steady progress over the early part of the week.

On Monday the workers split into two teams. A team of two guys with the Chang's wife acting as generally labourer set about rendering the outside walls of the lock-up.
1.jpg

They've actually finished all four outside walls now so I should imagine they'll move inside tomorrow---- although that said its still quite wet inside so maybe they'll need another day's sunshine to dry it out properly before they can do so.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:52 pm

The second team, comprising Chang San and two workers concentrated their efforts on fixing the fascia board to the lower roof section of the car port. They took their time, taking lots of measurements and checking and rechecking each piece before cutting them to size and fixing them into position. Once they had completed this task they started laying out the tiles.
2.jpg

Placing the tiles is the easy bit and the roof quickly started to take shape. The builders screw fixed each alternate layer, so layers 1,3,5 in this instance.
4.jpg

By the end of the day's work today they had just about finished the lower roof section, having spent a big part of the day cutting the awkward tiles to size where the roof profiles meet and fixing the dry tech system in preparation for fixing the corner ridge tiles, which will hopefully happen tomorrow.
5.jpg

Not looking too bad after all!

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Looks good, what height did you end up going with from Slab to Fascia level

And what pitch for the Roof

pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story