My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 am

ROOF (To completion).

A good point was raised by Mike regarding the need to ensure that a good water tight seal is achieved for roofs that abut walls (I initially wrote rooves but checking online I'm informed that its nowadays almost always spelt roofs).

I checked with the Top Hat Engineer before they started the final phase of work and he was able to assure me that they have a guaranteed system that takes care of the possibility of leaks occurring where the roof sits against the wall--- as I think I mentioned before, although I can't seem to locate the earlier discussion. The engineer provided me with a leaflet that explains the process and includes a step by step pictoral guide.
20140604_150111.jpg
20140604_150322.jpg
Example page

So, armed with my leaflet, I was able to check the procedure as it occurred.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:14 am

The first task was to fit a membrane under the truss. The material is synthetic rubber on one side and reflective foil on the other and as this was being attached the team also applied a wide strip of metal underneath the membrane along the line of the soffit.
Attachments
20140603_105806.jpg
'cut-off' piece of the membrane
20140603_105555.jpg
attaching the membrane
20140604_165400.jpg
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:26 am

After ensuring that the membrane and metal strip were fitted correctly they quickly moved on to fitting the tiles. They have several specially designed tiles that are used for the edges on this type of installation.

After fitting the full tiles they started to work the edges. First they taped the edges with a strong fabric flashing, then they attached a metal strip on top of that which seemed to have some sort of water diverter shaped into its design. They then applied silicone sealant to the metal strip and finally placed the tiles on top of that.
Attachments
20140604_150133.jpg
20140604_150458.jpg
20140604_163055.jpg
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:33 am

Special shaped tiles are used for the edges to ensure a neat finish.

The angle of these photos may appear a bit strange as I took them from above, leaning out of the window.

JoMo
Attachments
20140608_154918.jpg
20140608_154929.jpg
20140608_161954.jpg
They even have a tiny tile to fit into the end of tile fitted against the wall.
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:47 am

Finally the roof is finished, (except the two ridge tiles that will hopefully be fitted today). My contractor finally completed his small task yesterday after weeks of procrastination, but as far as I'm concerned its done.
20140605_151638.jpg
20140605_175740.jpg
20140605_182646.jpg

Must check with the window company later this week to see how they are getting on with the fabrication. I really want to get the house fully protected from the weather as soon as possible so that we do not have any more breaks in the workflow caused by the house being inundated with water.
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:29 am

The team fitting the ceilings had finished all the work that they could a week or so ago, and were now just waiting on the roof to be fitted above the kitchens and outside toilet for them to be able to return and complete their task. They were back on site at the earliest opportunity and quickly set about fixing up the metal framework that will support the ceiling in the European kitchen.

It was the final day for the Top Hat team, who were basically just tidying up one or two points of detail and cleaning up their rubbish and getting ready to go. Jan and I left the site to have lunch and as we also needed to make a quick trip to the hardware store, we had arranged to meet the roof team at around 2.00pm to conduct a final check so that they could get on their way.

As a number have said on here, you can't turn your back for a second without something going wrong. As we walked through the kitchen to check the roof we had to slalom through a maze of metal work that the ceiling team were fixing up, and as we looked up we noticed that for some reason they had decided to ignore the beams and lower sections of truss upon which they could have anchored their metal strips in favour of cutting the roof membrane to attach them to the supports that the tiles are sitting on. The ceiling guys were just returning from lunch and when asked could offer no reason as to why they had done this. The Top Hat guy explained why they shouldn't cut through the membrane and he also set about repairs. The ceiling guys were full of apologies and thankfully no real harm done, but what possessed them, I'll never know.
Attachments
20140608_172343.jpg
The two black patches are where they cut through. There were more all over the kitchen.
jomoblues

Postby oneday » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:41 am

Sometimes you have to laugh at Thais with the blinders they wear. They know what they know and can't see any better alternative even when it's staring them in the face. "That's how we always do it".
oneday

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 am

That's how it is with Thai's ! They do only know "Their Way", but what can you expect when the only way they can learn, is through experience on the job, and that is from others who have followed the same path. As far as I know there are no Trade schools as such , no regulations to speak of or inspections at any stage, so you are responsible for everything that gets done. Personally I like it myself after living in what is increasingly becoming a "Nanny State" of N.S.W. but it does get a bit hard for people who are not so familiar with building practices as some of us are. We can let the minor things go and just concentrate on the important, finding workers who at least will listen ! and follow instructions , is an exercise in itself.
Mike Judd

Postby jomoblues » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:57 pm

PM's.

Off topic I know but I just wanted to offer my apologies to the members who have sent me PM's.

I'm having difficulty sending replies, as they seem to just hang in my 'Outbox'. One was there for several days and others added since so I cleared the first one in the queue and that seemed to work for the next one so, I started composing again and I've hit the same problem of messages just hanging in my outbox. Spent ages composing replies and then hated having to delete them to see if I could at least get one sent---no such luck!

It's taking too much time to compose and then delete messages in the hope that I can at least get one sent so I've abandoned the idea for today at least. I may try again later on in the week.

JoMo

BTW I know I've not updated my build story for over two weeks. I've a bit of thinking to do before continuing. Sorry, JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Jomo

Just curious, but what final colour have you chosen for the outside walls to go with your red roof times?

I see some white paint on the walls, but am not sure if its just an undercoat?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 pm

The PM will sit in the outbox until the other person checks and opens it, when you submit a PM the system will send an email to the person your are sending the PM to and they need to log on and open the message.

Hope this clarifies, if you get a good rapour with another member maybe you can swap email address then conventional emails with all the bells and whistles will be better than the limitations of the site PM system, but that is entirely up to the members personal choice.

PP
pattayapope

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:57 pm

pattayapope wrote:The PM will sit in the outbox until the other person checks and opens it, when you submit a PM the system will send an email to the person your are sending the PM to and they need to log on and open the message.

Hope this clarifies, if you get a good rapour with another member maybe you can swap email address then conventional emails with all the bells and whistles will be better than the limitations of the site PM system, but that is entirely up to the members personal choice.

PP

PP, thanks for that clarification, I had the same problem and have been wondering about it.
As a general site improvement, should this not be made clear when you send a PM.. Maybe like a pop-up when you hit send?
it's a very frustrating experience as Jomoblues clearly has gone true, me as well, and I guess a few others..

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby dozer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:56 pm

As far as the PM system associated with phpBB, that is just the way it works, we aren't installing any pop ups or anything at present, just working pretty much with the vanilla phpBB package for the forum back end.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jomoblues » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 am

pattayapope wrote:The PM will sit in the outbox until the other person checks and opens it, when you submit a PM the system will send an email to the person your are sending the PM to and they need to log on and open the message.

PP

Belated thanks for the clarification. JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:33 am

pipoz wrote:Hi Jomo

Just curious, but what final colour have you chosen for the outside walls to go with your red roof times?

I see some white paint on the walls, but am not sure if its just an undercoat?

pipoz

Hi Pipoz.
Thanks for your enquiry.

The white paint on the outside walls is what I call an embarrassment. It's actually the first attempt at applying a primer coat by a team that were initially contracted to do the work on May 12. I've an earlier post on page 25 that refers but just briefly: they turned up like a family troupe of Chinese acrobats, went across the road to some scrub land and cut copious lengths of bamboo which they used to erect some fabulous structure that they traversed with pots of paint in hand. No prep, no rubbing down or filling of cracks and just splashed paint on what they could reach.

They lasted one day before I saw them off. They must have been cheap but they weren't painters!

I do have a picture of the paint colour scheme which I'll post later today when I get back home---I thought I'd already posted it but it could just be my failing memory at work.

Just on a positive note (of sorts) after 6 weeks intervening I now have a team of painters who have finally made a proper start on the interiors. They're good at what they do, just a bit difficult to stay focused on the job. You know the routine-- 1 day 3 will turn up, next day 1, next day no-one then permutations on the same theme.

JoMo.
jomoblues

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story