My building story:

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story:

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Thank you for your comment, Sometimewoodworker.

I am clumsy by nature but in this instance I have it covered. The land measures 42 x 162, so in effect the two rai at the front naturally connects to the 2 rai at the rear and I plan to have a 2 meter gate in the back perimeter wall allowing access to the as yet undeveloped plot.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby olavhome » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Maybe smart to have the back gate wide enough to allow a tractor or small to pass :idea:
olavhome

Postby jomoblues » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

There's actually access from a dirt track that borders my back boundary line, so we would be able to get trucks and whatever else in that way before we enclosed it. At this time we've just a barbed wire fence, so no real issue regarding access.

Thank you for your comment. JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:51 pm

I really feel like we are finally seeing some progress this week, and that our long held dream of building our retirement home is actually starting to materialise.

Please don't think I have my head in the clouds, because I don't. I've read many of the building stories on here and know not to expect a trouble free build. I believe the most that I can hope for is to get as good a feeling as I can about the builder I've selected; work closely with him, and to stay as close to job as I can so that if things start to go wrong they can be checked before too much damage has been done. In selecting our builder Jan and I completed a considerable amount of due diligence (including pricing all the materials we want used in our build) and looked at many of the more established builders in Udon Thani over the many visits we've made over the past few years. Finally we were directed to a builder through our bank manager, we worked with him as far as a BOQ, selection of materials and a firm price. Unfortunately he pulled out with only two weeks of the agreed start date professing that he had too much work already. But we have been fortunate in finding another builder who we initally spoke to some years ago. He speaks good English, he only does bespoke builds, mostly for foreigners living here so we signed a contract and made a start this week.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Monday we started with the piling. We have 25 8 meter, 22cm x 22cm for the house and 4 8 meter 18cm x 18 cm for the water tower. This took two days to complete over Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Attachments
20131126_143153.jpg
In they go
20131126_084540.jpg
arrival of the rig
20131124_103844.jpg
piles delivered
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Workers have built their hut for the duration.
Attachments
20131126_103653.jpg
Worker's accommodation
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Temporary electricity supply turned on Wednesday.
Attachments
Installing electric.jpg
meter installed.jpg
meter
20131128_073054.jpg
connected
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:20 pm

My wife had some fun and games arranging the water supply.

We were told that we have have to go to the "poo yai baan" (phonetic spelling, so I apologise to the better informed). When we went round to his house he said he was too busy to help, he was actually washing his fighting cocks, but never mind it would cost around Baht2,500 but go and see the orbator. Arrived at his house and by that time the price had spiralled to Baht 5,000. (Could I have influenced the price? I don't know but---) They couldn't agree a deal so Jan rang some friends who live in that area and eventually went to another Orbator who agreed to do it for Baht3,000, cash up front. He would come the next day to install the water supply and water meter.

He didn't, and after Jan had made several calls over the course of the day she was eventually informed that he had taken the money and gone on a 12 hour bender so he spent the next day recovering. He eventually arrived late Wednesday afternoon with few tools and even less idea of how he was going to cut across the concrete slab road and install our supply. It was rather comical watching him and a couple of his friends attempting to bore a hole horizontally under the slab. Today they dug a trench but annoyingly he has used only half inch pipe and installed a rather pathetic meter. Never mind, we have seen him on his way and tomorrow I will talk to the builder and have the job completed properly as the water is just crawling out of the pipe at this time.

I thought it prudent not to take any photographs of the 'men at work'. JoMo
Attachments
water meter.jpg
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Really pleased with the rebar that arrived. It has absolutely no rust on it, clean as a whistle, C-Pac Chang brand.
Attachments
20131126_142924.jpg
20131126_142915.jpg
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Today, the team were mainly cutting the rebar to size ready for the foundation and form work and marking out the areas for the macro to dig out where the piles have been sunk. Some of the piles went down to just over 8 meters before they hit rock whereas others have gone down to between 9.5 and 10 meters. The ground held up really well to the weight of the rig and all that pounding, so considering that plus the mass of piles we've sunk, I'm hoping that there is litle chance of any subsidence or cracks appearing in the walls of the house in the future!

JoMo
Attachments
marking out.jpg
marking out
20131128_114250.jpg
20131126_145442.jpg
jomoblues

Postby fredlk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Any updates?
fredlk

Postby jomoblues » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks for the nudge, Fred.

Yes, I have plenty to update to my building story. I've taken photos as and when I could do so and just needed to find some time to add a bit of narrative to them. I've been 'fire fighting' these past three weeks, dealing with some domestic issues including having the wife hospitalised for several days and then almost immediately afterwards having to take care of some medical problems for her 82 year old father, but thankfully we are now back to what passes for normality in the JoMo household. So I can bring my building story up to date over the week-end.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby jomoblues » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:04 pm

I was relieved when the 'macro' that the builder said he'd arranged to hire to dig down to the piles turned out to be just a normal excavator. I was a bit wary of the potential damage a marco could have caused digging in such a confined area. Over a two day period the 25 piles for the house and the 4 for the water tower were exposed. It was quite a surprise to me to see how far some had been sunk (up to 10 meters) and that some had suffered a bit of damage during the process, but I was assured they were sound and once they had been encased in rebar and concrete I would be able to see how solid it all was.
Attachments
20131201_163110.jpg
20131129_152917.jpg
Piles revealed
20131129_084750.jpg
jomoblues

Postby fredlk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 pm

jomoblues wrote:I've been 'fire fighting' these past three weeks

It never rains but it pours. I hope everyone is okay.
jomoblues wrote:I can bring my building story up to date over the week-end.

Thanks. :D
fredlk

Postby jomoblues » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:47 pm

To prepare the piles for their eventual union with the house columns, the holes were cleaned out and a collar of concrete dropped onto the neck of the pile leaving a good portion exposed. (See picture above). A team started work on fabricating the rebar structures which form the 'skelton' of the house columns, and a lady made some concrete spacers out of a bit of plastic piping and metal wire, which I later found out were to be attached to the base of the rebar columns before placing them in the holes. This will allow the concrete to fully encase the rebar and ensure a good union of pile and column.
Attachments
20131129_152831.jpg
20131129_153305.jpg
jomoblues

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story