Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby Shastadad » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:53 am

scudman wrote:Water analysis came back and it is heavy on Chloride, so it is salt water. This was at 23 meters. The guy said he would go as deep as 60 meters in his quote so I am going to try to hold him to it. Going to dig another hole and go deeper. I don't understand why he doesn't just use the original hole and go deeper.

Because the contaminated water will contaminate the well, especially since the salt water will mix with the "sweet " water due to the difference in viscosity

The real danger will be if the water seam on the old well crosses over to the new well hole, since water lies in layers. Hopefully the second hole will be into a new seam. In the US you prevent this problem by using a plastic casing to prevent cross contamination between well holes
Last edited by Shastadad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shastadad

Postby scudman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 am

Shastadad wrote:
scudman wrote:Water analysis came back and it is heavy on Chloride, so it is salt water. This was at 23 meters. The guy said he would go as deep as 60 meters in his quote so I am going to try to hold him to it. Going to dig another hole and go deeper. I don't understand why he doesn't just use the original hole and go deeper.

Because the water from the first well (hole) will contaminate the water in the second well (hole)

Ahhh! OK. Thanks. I guess I thought the PVC sleeve they put all the way down would prevent the cross contamination. I guess not.
scudman

Postby Shastadad » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:13 am

Sorry, I edited my post while you were answering it, but read my edited post and you will see what I was getting at. Basically it has to do with the fact that water lies in layers and one layer can contaminate another layer. Unfortunately you cannot guarantee that your plastic PVC sleeve is completely blocking the cross flow
Shastadad

Postby wazza » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm

The reason for using PVC is not only to help the hole stand up but to seal off the water layers you don't want, then have slotted pipe at the level of the good water. If you draw too much quicker than it is flowing in the seam you can end up drawing from the bad water, but if you have a good flow there will be no problem.
Reason for not using original hole and going deeper is that it can be very difficult up to impossible to get the original PVC out, and the drill head won't fit down the casing.
wazza

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 pm

The well digger/driller doesn't want to go deeper. Says it is pointless. Claims that using a 12V battery and probes out 80 meters on each side of the hole that he can "see" 100 meters down. I know that is bull pucky, but I can't really call him on it. He is the only game in town. So, since there is no municipal water to our land, my options are an RO system or rainwater collection or both. I am guessing 3/4 of a million baht added to the build cost estimating 3000 liters per day for a 4 bedroom 6 bath home with 8 persons.
scudman

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 pm

scudman wrote: bull pucky

I think I know what that means.
scudman wrote:I am guessing 3/4 of a million baht added to the build cost

For that kind of money you can have 7,500 truckloads of water delivered.
scudman wrote: estimating 3000 liters per day for a 4 bedroom 6 bath home with 8 persons.

Here with 3 to 4 people and a lot of plant watering we use about 1,000 litres per day. With a pool I expect this to increase.
fredlk

Postby scudman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:17 pm

The plot of land got it final fill of dirt. It is now at the level we want and a couple of feet above the main road level. I thought about going higher after I saw a special on the the ice melt in Greenland but decided the next generation will just have to deal with rising sea levels. My budget is already over on land fill.

Sim payed the electric company a visit today. It is going to take about 30 days to bring in electric. Need to talk to the contractor to see how he can deal with electricity needs until we get official power. Generator perhaps. Although there is a lot of digging and cement work to do before he needs electric methinks.

We put a woven bamboo screen around the perimeter of the land in the hopes that that will keep the land fill from washing away during the heavy rains that are coming. It looks like crap now put in a couple of years it should start to rot away and by then greenery should be covering most of it.

The drinking/bathing/washing water issue is as follows: Never hit drinkable water in the well digging process. Hit brackish water at 20 meters. Dug another couple of holes but nothing new. There is no city water to our location, so I think we are going to buy water and have it delivered weekly and stored in several 1500 liter tanks, until city water finally arrives in a few years to our plot. Buying water is about the same cost as city water delivered by pipe. I may have the well digger dig me a hole to the brackish water in a new location just to have as a back up. I could put in an RO (reverse osmosis) system to make potable water as a last resort but it would cost about $8,000.
Attachments
IMG_0341.JPG
Going to cut off all the posts at the top of the bamboo.
IMG_0095.JPG
Pushing some fill around just for fun.
scudman

Postby MGV12 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

scudman wrote:Never hit drinkable water in the well digging process.

I don't personally know of anyone who did. Without doubt many Thais drink from shallow wells but they have always done so and therefore have more resistance than us mollycoddled westerners.

Our 70 metre deep well water passed all tests but I wouldn't drink it without further treatment ... although the Koi seem happy enough in it. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby scudman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Back to the PEA today to apply for electricity. The wife went in alone to submit documents. Came back out to the car to ask how many amps we wanted. I told her 15/45 single phase. The official helping her said he thought we should have 3 phase. Wife called contractor and he said 3 phase also. Official said total to bring 3 phase (assuming 45/100) to the land plot (about 180 meters) would be 100,000 baht each for the 3 one rai plots. Wife owns 1 rai, friends own the other two. We were told that if all 3 applications were submitted at the same time it would be cheaper.

Now the house is going to be nothing special.
4 bedrooms ( 3 aircons)
6 bathrooms (only 3 with instant heat)
3 - 4 TVs
Stereo
Internet / Desktop computer
Main fridge and 2 small style reefers
CFL and LED lighting
Drink cooler
Various kitchen items: Toaster, Microwave, Blender
Water pump
NO workshop running saws, grindes, lathes or milling machines.
NO Pool
Small fish pond with submersible pump

I know I should really calculate and add it all up while everything is on, but that is a little impractical as the configuration does not exist yet.

Everything I have read on this forum says single phase is fine for a "normal" house and I understand that if I need to upgrade in the future I could by changing to a 45/100 meter.
What am I missing? Do you agree that single phase 15/45 is fine?
scudman

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

scudman wrote:Back to the PEA today to apply for electricity. The wife went in alone to submit documents. Came back out to the car to ask how many amps we wanted. I told her 15/45 single phase. The official helping her said he thought we should have 3 phase. Wife called contractor and he said 3 phase also. Official said total to bring 3 phase (assuming 45/100) to the land plot (about 180 meters) would be 100,000 baht each for the 3 one rai plots. Wife owns 1 rai, friends own the other two. We were told that if all 3 applications were submitted at the same time it would be cheaper.

Now the house is going to be nothing special.
4 bedrooms ( 3 aircons)
6 bathrooms (only 3 with instant heat)
3 - 4 TVs
Stereo
Internet / Desktop computer
Main fridge and 2 small style reefers
CFL and LED lighting
Drink cooler
Various kitchen items: Toaster, Microwave, Blender
Water pump
NO workshop running saws, grindes, lathes or milling machines.
NO Pool
Small fish pond with submersible pump

I know I should really calculate and add it all up while everything is on, but that is a little impractical as the configuration does not exist yet.

Everything I have read on this forum says single phase is fine for a "normal" house and I understand that if I need to upgrade in the future I could by changing to a 45/100 meter.
What am I missing? Do you agree that single phase 15/45 is fine?

Yes easily. I'm often running one or two 3 horse power motors, lots of fans, stereos etc. all on a 15/45 and while it is getting close to the limit it's no problem at the moment. All of that will be much more than you will be using so go for the 15/45 single phase. If you trip the breaker, which you won't, then upgrade. It looks as if they want you to pay for their infrastructure.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby scudman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 am

[/quote]
Yes easily. I'm often running one or two 3 horse power motors, lots of fans, stereos etc. all on a 15/45 and while it is getting close to the limit it's no problem at the moment. All of that will be much more than you will be using so go for the 15/45 single phase. If you trip the breaker, which you won't, then upgrade. It looks as if they want you to pay for their infrastructure.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback.
scudman

Postby schuimpge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 pm

How about running 50 computers at the same time?... Lol
schuimpge

Postby scudman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:17 pm

P1010620.JPG
Some electrical poles installed by PEA. Still have 3 or 4 more to go in but I have to remove some standing water where they are to go. I think I am going to try to pump it out with a 12V bilge pump from a marine store. May take a while but I have time. Also got some boys out to trim the trees in the path where the electric cables are to be run. A lot easier when you have a bucket truck. Signing the construction contract next week and construction should start by the end of August. Fingers crossed.
Attachments
trim.jpg
P1010625.JPG
poles.jpg
scudman

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 909 times
fredlk

Postby scudman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Contract signed today.
The build starts September 9th, the month of the heaviest rain of the year. It is going to be fun.
scudman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story