Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:34 pm

scudman wrote:Yikes, I am feeling stressed already.

:lol: ...... and it gets worse with time, but you will have the satisfaction of having built your dream, warts and all. Just be ready for many minor disappointments and you'll be well prepared.
fredlk

Postby scudman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Update...
It has been a while so I thought I would update this log. The architect is busily making the changes to his 1st draft on the floorplan. I took a number of members advice here to change around the bedroom layouts to have them face the pool and courtyard areas. Made the bathrooms larger, and the Thai kitchen a bit larger along with shifting the carport more in line with the property boundary. It seems his draftsman is getting married this week so we are a bit behind schedule for a final floorplan.

In other news the Land Office is due to come out tomorrow to put in new property corner markers. I can only find one of the original markers that were supposed to have been put in 15 years ago when we bought the land. Anyway they were supposed to come Monday, which turned into Tuesday, which is now Wednesday. Going to cost me 6000 baht to mark out 3 1 rai plots. I was told that the service is supposed to be free but you have to wait in line and it could take up to 6 months to get to the head of the line, but a few baht could move you right up there on top. Nothing under the table about these guys.

I also met with a nice lady sales rep from Bluescope Steel yesterday. I wanted more info on Clean Colorbond for residential roofing applications. It was a good meeting. I came away with lots of brochures and good info. A number of commercial buildings here in Phuket have used this material on their roofs, so I have taken the wife, who was/is a bit skeptical to see a couple. She is more convinced now but may not be keen on white which I have decided would be the best color. She thinks it will show dirt more than a beige or sand color.

One of the interesting brochures I got with the Bluescope meeting was for Lysaght W-Deck. They have rolled pre formed steel deck sheets that are used in floors to replace the concrete planks or the traditional infill and concrete pour over plastic and rebar. I asked about the cost of these steel decks vs the concrete slabs and she said they were less expensive. I plan on getting a real quote to verify. Anyone seen these in use?
Attachments
steel decking.jpg
scudman

Postby pipoz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 pm

scudman wrote:Update...
Anyone seen these in use?

Not specifically this profile of the Blue Scope Metal Deck + Reo+ Concrete system, but 25 years ago we used a similar system called Bondek + Reinforcement + Concrete.
Bondek is also Bluesscope and it can be found on the Web and it has a good brochure. It’s just a different metal deck profile, but the principle is the same (Just Google the word Bondek)

The Bluescope Metal Deck system (Bondek) is mainly used for commercial building construction of suspended slabs and can do lengthy spans without the need for lots of internal columns. Typically for a commercial building with a Bondek system, the column spacing is 8 x 8m. The metal deck tends to act as a lost formwork system and adds some small amount of strength into the suspended slab. The open span between your columns is dictated primarily by the amount of bottom reinforcement you use in that slab and the depth of the concrete.

It’s a good system to use for your first floor slab if you want an open ground floor layout plan without lots of columns dotted everywhere. No reason why you can’t achieve a ground floor open floor plan layout between your support beams of 7 – 8 meters, if that is what you are trying to do, it just means some heavy reinforcement (not just mesh) and probably a 250mm thick first floor slab

We also used other brand name metal deck systems throughout Asia and the principle of the metal deck+reinforcement+concrete slab system has been around for a long time and works well, mostly in commercial building construction projects. Also the metal deck system doesn’t require as much propping during construction as the traditional timber formwork systems. Juts have a look at the diagrams on the Lysaght Bondek Brochure (Just Google the word Bondek)

There is no reason why it can’t be used in Residential/House construction, for either your first floor slab and even for your ground floor slab (if you don’t want your ground floor slab to site on the ground).

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 am

As mentioned that sort of steel decking (Formwork) has been around for years, it has the added advantage of having slots in it to hang the brackets for your ceiling if required. If it's a garage or workshop below the slab, being galvanised it's a good enough finish on it's own.
Mike Judd

Postby scudman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am

Yeah, I am thinking I would like to use them on the ground floor slab which I have planned to be raised up off the ground level if they are indeed more cost effective than the traditional method or concrete slabs. My build will be single story. Good to know that the technology has been around for a while. Thanks for the feedback.
scudman

Postby fredlk » Tue May 14, 2013 11:33 am

There hasn't been an update for a while now. Is there anything new to report?
fredlk

Postby scudman » Tue May 14, 2013 3:52 pm

fredlk wrote:There hasn't been an update for a while now. Is there anything new to report?

I met with the architect last week and finalized the layouts of the main house and the guest houses. He is throwing up walls now and doing the roof plan. I suspect it will be another 2 or 3 weeks before I can review those. I am still looking for another guy that can drill our well. Phuket Ground Water seems to have the monopoly here on Phuket. I decided to wait a bit on the perimeter fence because I am going with more fill even if I have to partially fill the neighbors plot. That will be far cheaper than a heavily reinforced retaining wall or driving piles in for the wall columns just to ensure the fill does not wash away or take my wall with it in the heavy rain.
scudman

Postby scudman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm

The architect delivered 3 sets of detail design drawing yesterday for the house. It took him nearly 5 months to get this job done. Good thing I am in no hurry. Drawing packets in hand along with a full size copy of the Chanote, a copy of her ID card and current house registration book, the wife trotted into the Or Bor Tor office today to submit the drawings for approval. I waited in the car while she sat there and initialed every page on all three sets of drawings. It had to have been a thousand pages at least.
But the ball is rolling again. Since Phuket is the wife's hometown, she knows a lot of people here, including the head dude at the Or Bor Tor. She was told approval would take about a week. We shall see.
scudman

Postby scudman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 am

tree in road1.jpg
Drawings still not approved by the local authorities. Copies of plans now with 3 potential contractors. Our 1st choice is a little leary of the specs but the wife is having the architect call him to reassure him nothing is out of the ordinary on this build. We were told mid-January for the build quotes to come back. Fingers crossed. Wife to call the well digger on Monday to get him going and we need to meet with the PEA (Electric Co.) to discuss options for juice.
Had to spend two days clearing fallen timber off our access road and land. Someone harvested a lot of the trees in the lot adjoining ours and left the top 2/3rds. laying on our road and land plot.
scudman

Postby fredlk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 am

scudman wrote:Drawings still not approved by the local authorities.

I was wondering where you'd got to. Good luck with the quotes.
fredlk

Postby scudman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 am

Water well drilling rig in place, but no one showed up today to start the process. This is probably a portend of things to come.
DSC_7967.JPG
scudman

Postby scudman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm

IMG_0009.JPG
We struck water today at 23 meters. The quality looks good at first glance, clear, no smell, no bitter taste. Flow appears good and should provide 1500 liters per day. Official water test to be done yet but we are optimistic.
Picture shows soil layer structure at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 meters. Mud, sand, clay, sand, crushed granite, and gravel (from my foot - right) then water as I recall.
scudman

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:45 pm

1500 per day or per hour?? they normally quote per hour and a 1000 lit+ is supposed to be ok per hour
gliffaes

Postby scudman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

gliffaes wrote:1500 per day or per hour??

Good catch. It appears I dropped off a zero on that number. It should read 15,000 liters a day. But I cannot imagine ever using that much water. At our current rental the water goes off frequently so we installed a 1000 liter reserve tank. It seems to last us about 3 days under normal use by 2 adults and 2 children.
scudman

Postby scudman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Water analysis came back and it is heavy on Chloride, so it is salt water. This was at 23 meters. The guy said he would go as deep as 60 meters in his quote so I am going to try to hold him to it. Going to dig another hole and go deeper. I don't understand why he doesn't just use the original hole and go deeper.
scudman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story