Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby scudman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Roof work continues. Main house almost done. Guest I and Guest 2 steel done. With the 1.6M overhang, we should be able to stay dry walking to either of the Guest rooms when raining. Main roof steel should be done this week, then on to the carport roof.

Render work continues inside and a few outside walls as well. One outside column and wall had some serious chipping work done to remove material. I find it so strange the they don't take the necessary measurements/precautions to check theirforms before pouring cement. Having to chip away at finished concrete seems so counterproductive and time wasting. I do feel good that they at least acknowledged the mistake and are making it right however.
Attachments
P1010907.JPG
scudman

Postby scudman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:00 am

Main house roof steel completed. Crew has moved over to the carport/utilities building. Rear sidewalk and laundry drying area out back poured. The wife wanted to put in handprints of the nephews in the wet cement but we missed the pour. One of the workers did manage to walk across it before it dried and left some very clear footprints. No worries though, it will be tiled.

Roof installer says 3 weeks to an installed roof. Assuming that is material lead time and installation. Asked him to check if either of the two new white colors of Colorbond are available in Thailand yet. Last time I asked, last year, it was still only Off White. Both new whites have a bit higher reflectance number than Off White so it would be nice if we could get one or the other of the new white colors.

A few pics.
Attachments
P1010909.JPG
Main house entrance room. Steel done.
P1010914.JPG
Working on carport.
P1010913.JPG
Rear entrance sidewalk from carport and walkway to rear of carport and laundry/pump room.
scudman

Postby fab99 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:07 am

scudman wrote:Still looking for these mechanical timers for fans/lights.

I have been looking for these too, Homepro, Homeworks, Global, Thai Watsadu... mai mi is the common answer...

Please let us know if you find them, otherwise, I'll probably order them outside of Thailand.

Great looking build, thanks for taking the time to share, I've been wanting to do it (build finished for a long time...) but never got to it, one day...
fab99

Postby olavhome » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:41 pm

One day dead---do NOW !!! :D
olavhome

Postby scudman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Steel up for the portico. Roof steel now complete. Holding the welders to put up mounting plates for the ceiling fans now. Got to get location drawings out to them tomorrow.
Electrician was on site today and started putting up yellow pipe runs and junction boxes. We started discussing the Main Distribution Panel and I mentioned that I wanted an RCBO in the box. He said I didn't need one. I said I wanted one. He kept trying to explain why I didn't need one. I kept telling him I wanted one anyway. Then we had a discussion about the wireless network and I told him how I wanted it wired, and he kept trying to tell me it would be better his way. Oy vay. We may have to fire him and get a sparky that listens.

The Roof installation guy called. The two new white colors of clean Colorbond are still not available in Thailand, so we are stuck with Cool White. He is ordering material and says we will have a roof by the end of the month. I think he is dreaming, but we will see.
Attachments
P1010922.JPG
Portico steel up.
scudman

Postby Ians » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 pm

RCBO, my control panel has 5 RCBO controlling 5 power circuits. The reason being having single unit puts the whole house off - line for what might be a minor fault in 1 circuit or appliance.
If your sparkie insists on no need for RCBO - time to find a new sparkie.

In a number of countries RCBO are now mandatory.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 pm

scudman wrote:Electrician was on site today and started putting up yellow pipe runs and junction boxes. We started discussing the Main Distribution Panel and I mentioned that I wanted an RCBO in the box. He said I didn't need one. I said I wanted one. He kept trying to explain why I didn't need one. I kept telling him I wanted one anyway. Then we had a discussion about the wireless network and I told him how I wanted it wired, and he kept trying to tell me it would be better his way. Oy vay. We may have to fire him and get a sparky that listens.

He could have been partly right in that 1 in the main box is not good, you need different circuits on different RCBO's otherwise all the electricity will go out with a fault. As a minimum the lighting should be on a separate circuit with its own RCD, you probably don't need an RCBO for the lights,
Sometimewoodworker

Postby scudman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:He could have been partly right in that 1 in the main box is not good, you need different circuits on different RCBO's otherwise all the electricity will go out with a fault. As a minimum the lighting should be on a separate circuit with its own RCD, you probably don't need an RCBO for the lights,

Yes, the more I thought about that, you are correct. I should have about 5 of them to split up the house so the rest of the electricity stays on if 1 section goes out. Thanks.
scudman

Postby scudman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Started putting up the ceiling in the great room. Contractor says he has to get this up before the roof goes on because of the limited space after roof installation. The roof by the way is coming on the 3rd or 4th of next month. The workers will be happy to have some shade after all these months working in the sun all day. Contractor assured me that the steel plate was up there and ready for my 84" MrKen Helicopter fan.

Debating with myself on whether or not to PU foam all the overhang. Could save a few baht by not doing the 1.6 meter all round the perimeter. I thought about just doing the corners and along the purlins also. Can't decide if saving some baht is worth more rain noise.

A few centimeters of the outside of an entire floor beam is being chipped away by one worker because it sticks out too far. I guess that form did not get measured twice before the concrete was poured. Always seems to be time to do it over.
Attachments
P1010923.JPG
Ceiling going up.
P1010924.JPG
Taking away material.
scudman

Postby kiwimartin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi Scudman,
That ceiling looks fantastic - I love that barrel curve. Is it natural timber? How will you finish it?
On my build we had the same debate over the PU foam, and decided that it wasn't worth the adjustments to the purlins etc. to remove it, and an advantage in avoiding rain noise and radiant heat, even on the covered outdoor deck. I think that has proved to be the case now that our Colorbond roof is on.
Seems Mr. Ken is doing well out of CTH members - we bought 6, and Pipoz the same I think.
Cheers, the build appears to be going really well.
kiwimartin

Postby pipoz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:07 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Hi Scudman,
That ceiling looks fantastic - I love that barrel curve. Is it natural timber? How will you finish it?
On my build we had the same debate over the PU foam, and decided that it wasn't worth the adjustments to the purlins etc. to remove it, and an advantage in avoiding rain noise and radiant heat, even on the covered outdoor deck. I think that has proved to be the case now that our Colorbond roof is on.
Seems Mr. Ken is doing well out of CTH members - we bought 6, and Pipoz the same I think.

My TG was wrapped with the look of the fans and the remote controls

MRKEN is worth his money

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:05 am

kiwimartin wrote:Hi Scudman,

Not timber, it's Conwood and it will just be primed and painted I think. I think I will stick with the plan to PU everything. Better safe than sorry and too much hassle to try and do it after underside gets finished.

Glad to hear everyone is loving their MrKen fans. They are a bit expensive but with a 10 year warranty and the convenience of remotes and they way they look I think they are a key buy. Ordering 7 fans next week.
scudman

Postby scudman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Getting ready to order fans from Mr.Ken. Trying to decide on color. I like the look of the natural wood blades with the Nickel finish motor, but the White blades with the white motor might look better with the white ceiling. Opinions?

Also on counter-tops for kitchen and bath. Thinking of granite because it is readily available in many colors. Also thinking maybe Porcelain tile. Do any of the large chains sell composite stone or re-engineered stone, I think it is called? Any other common materials I should entertain?

Thanks for the feedback.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:33 pm

scudman wrote:Getting ready to order fans from Mr.Ken. Trying to decide on color. I like the look of the natural wood blades with the Nickel finish motor, but the White blades with the white motor might look better with the white ceiling. Opinions?

Also on counter-tops for kitchen and bath. Thinking of granite because it is readily available in many colors. Also thinking maybe Porcelain tile. Do any of the large chains sell composite stone or re-engineered stone, I think it is called? Any other common materials I should entertain?

Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up buying three of these for the same reason, plus my two all Aluminium Helicopters for contract in the main rooms

pipoz
Attachments
40.KEN 3D-SOLID WOOD - DC - BN - OAK - DR.jpg
KEN 3D-SOLID WOOD - DC - BN - OAK - DR
pipoz

Postby Ians » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Would you mind giving contact details (probably again) thanks
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story