Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby claynlr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:36 pm

36" for kitchen counters and 32" for baths...at least this is standard in the U.S.
claynlr

Postby pipoz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm

850mm to 875mm above FFL for the Bathroom Vanity top is a normal and good height.

I am going 850mm in mine

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 pm

claynlr wrote:36" for kitchen counters and 32" for baths...at least this is standard in the U.S.

Thanks for that..I wonder how long that has been the standard? A 100 years when people used to be shorter? The average height for men has risen over 11cm since the mid 19th century. Or kitchen counters at that height because it was women who were at the kitchen counter all day? I wonder about that kind of stuff.
scudman

Postby claynlr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:36 am

The kitchen height also has to do with under counter dish washers although the feet are adjustable some what. Back in the 80,s when my Dad had a cabinet shop the bath vanities were 30"...Gained 2" to 32" now! That's just standard. I built a home for a really tall guy and we raised his vanity to 36", same as the kitchen, but built his wife's vanity ar 30" as she was short.
claynlr

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Not much new news for the build. More lintels, more door frames, more walls going up. I modified the kitchen a bit, so one wall has to come down. Contractor has been away for 4 days in Chaing Mai, so he does not know that yet. Told the foreman so he stopped working on it.

A couple of what appear to be lintels(?) on two walls have been done but there are no windows/doors below them so I suspect they are just reinforcement for those walls because they are the highest walls in the house. I will have to ask the boss when he gets back.
Attachments
P1010854.JPG
scudman

Postby scudman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:23 pm

The Boss is back from Chiang Mai. Met him on the job last Saturday. Told him about the wall that needs to come down in the kitchen and traded him a 3 meter wall in the carport for adding blocks to the front under the two front sides. The workers have been off for the last two days. Walls are starting to go up in Guest 1 and Guest 2 but not in the carport/workshop/pump room/maids quarters building yet. Cistern support wood and forms are all out and they are cleaning up the tank. I need to get down in there and check it out.

A few random pictures just because I was out there today.
Attachments
IMG_2843.JPG
One of the workers fishing in the pond/lake next door.
IMG_2840.JPG
Guest 1 & 2 start to get walls.
IMG_2845.JPG
Entrance to the house.
IMG_2846.JPG
View from the access road.
scudman

Postby scudman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Walls starting to go up in the Carport building. Forms for the rear entrance next to the carport are in. The foreman used some fibreboard to create a rounded corner form. Pretty ingenious I thought. Off to Home Pro, Thai Watsadu and maybe Sang Chai to pick out sinks for 6 bathrooms. Tried to determine finished counter heights today with builder, but it will ultimately be determined by the type of sink we choose for each bath. Undercounter mount, bowl on top, insert in hole mount. Wife wants each to be different. ???? That logic is beyond me.
Attachments
P1010857.JPG
Starting on the walls in the carport/workshop/pump room/maids quarters.
P1010859.JPG
Unique form for step corners
P1010858.JPG
Ready for pour
P1010860.JPG
A flock of powered paragliders fly overhead at the site today.
scudman

Postby schuimpge » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:45 am

scudman wrote:Walls starting to go up in the Carport building. Forms for the rear entrance next to the carport are in. The foreman used some fibreboard to create a rounded corner form. Pretty ingenious I thought. Off to Home Pro, Thai Watsadu and maybe Sang Chai to pick out sinks for 6 bathrooms. Tried to determine finished counter heights today with builder, but it will ultimately be determined by the type of sink we choose for each bath. Undercounter mount, bowl on top, insert in hole mount. Wife wants each to be different. ???? That logic is beyond me.

:lol: you're in for a trip then.. Mine had to sit on like endless numbers of toilets to ensure she'd be comfortable...eventually became two trips before her mind gave in to her behind... :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Roof steel going up albeit slowly. The electrician made his first appearance today and I had to hurriedly mark outlet locations for him. Need to go out again tomorrow and finish marking and re-check what I did in a hurry today. He started to make runs and box cutouts this morning per the drawings but of course they were not where I really wanted them.
Attachments
P1010862.JPG
P1010863.JPG
P1010864.JPG
scudman

Postby scudman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Rear steps done. They will look better when tiled and the ground finished. Steel work continues and the electrician is making good progress. I am running around ahead of him marking outlets and switch locations. Had to call the Boss to get him to get a guy on painting the welds the steel guys were making. The block team was taking the walls up to the steel without the soon to be enclosed welds unpainted.

The carport is going to need more shade. Need to figure out something to keep the cars and bike shaded in the afternoon.
Attachments
P1010869.JPG
Outlet and switch boxes going in.
P1010870.JPG
Rear steps done except tiling.
P1010871.JPG
Taking the block up to the steel and filling in all the gaps.
P1010872.JPG
Need to devise a way to get more shade for the front of the carport. Pic taken around 4:00 pm.
P1010873.JPG
This guy is following the welder around with a paint brush and can of paint.
scudman

Postby scudman » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Been under the weather for the past couple of days. Today I felt well enough to go to the site. It was stinking hot today, so I waited until about 5:30 to pay them a visit. I don't know how the workers stay out in the sun all day long. I am melting after 30 minutes.

Anyway, more steel, more steel and more steel is going up. I would guess they are about 3/4 complete. We asked the guy that is putting on the roof to come out this week and check on the steel install before they complete it so he can point out any deficiencies before they finish.

They started the first render coat in the master bedroom and have almost finished the glass block in all the baths. I had to have them re-do one bath because it was not centered in the wall.

I asked a question over in Electrical but no one answered so I will ask here: I am looking for those mechanical timer boxes you install like a light switch. Ten past 10 and set for any time up to an hour. Run lights or a fan or any electrical appliance for a bit and it shuts off when the timer winds down. Seen them here?

A few pics from today:
Attachments
P1010875.JPG
Steel on Guest 1
P1010876.JPG
Glass block complete in Mstr Bath
P1010874.JPG
First coat of render on first part of the first wall.
scudman

Postby pattayapope » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm

scudman wrote:I asked a question over in Electrical but no one answered so I will ask here: I am looking for those mechanical timer boxes you install like a light switch. Ten past 10 and set for any time up to an hour. Run lights or a fan or any electrical appliance for a bit and it shuts off when the timer winds down. Seen them here?

I think you got the information you were asking

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4905
pattayapope

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:50 pm

pattayapope wrote:
scudman wrote:I asked a question over in Electrical but no one answered so I will ask here: I am looking for those mechanical timer boxes you install like a light switch. Ten past 10 and set for any time up to an hour. Run lights or a fan or any electrical appliance for a bit and it shuts off when the timer winds down. Seen them here?

I think you got the information you were asking

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4905

Thank you sir...Did not realize I had to click 'Subscribe topic' for my own post.
scudman

Postby scudman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Just a few pics today. Roof installation guy coming tomorrow to check on the steel installation, which by my guess is about 70%. Hopefully we get the roof on next month or before the rains start up.

Rainwater collection filter box installed. Need to come up with a stainless box to catch leaves and debris or maybe just a cover for the outlet to the cistern.

Glass block in the shower looking good.

Still looking for these mechanical timers for fans/lights.

I found a source for AAVs (Air Admittance Valves) if anyone is interested. PM me.
Attachments
P1010880.JPG
Glass block in shower.
P1010879.JPG
Roof Steel nearing completion
P1010878.JPG
Rainwater filter box.
81j6jv5d9yL._SL1500_.jpg
Need half dozen of these.
scudman

Postby scudman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Contractor working overtime tonight trying to get the roof steel completed. That is his next milestone payment. He broke out the floodlights tonight and is working till 9:00pm tonight to try to finish before the weekend.

The crew started outside rendering today on the main house. Still not finished inside but I guess they were bored inside. The finish looks good to me. Boss says it will get sanded then 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of top finish color. I may ask him to put on a second coat of primer just to make sure I get a good base layer.

Roof guy was out a day ago. At the seam where the colorbond comes together at the two planes on the roof, the contractor did not put a U shaped beam in that spot so we are going to install another beam to make room for a stainless 'drip' tray to run down the fall and catch any stray rain that sneaks in past the joint there. Decided not to spray PU foam under the overhang of the roof and just do the inside roof sections. Save a bit of money that way.
Attachments
P1010886.JPG
Render crew going at it.
P1010885.JPG
Steel crew humping steel.
scudman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story