Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi, you have some nice big box sections.

Can I ask what are the dimensions of the largest and the wall thickness

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi, you have some nice big box sections.

pipoz

Pipoz.....I will measure them tomorrow and let you know.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 pm

scudman wrote:

pipoz

Pipoz.....I will measure them tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:09 pm

pipoz

Pipoz......The largest steel boxes are .20 x .10 with a wall thickness of 3mm or 4mm. It was hard for my old eyes to see exactly. I also have some .20 x .05 with 3mm walls.

Wall work continues by the ladies. The front steps got forms and re-bar today. Poured tomorrow I hope. Primer dipping of the roof steel started today. Methinks it will take all week to finish the dipping. Then touch up will be required of course.
Attachments
P1010837.JPG
More walls go up. Two teams of ladies working it.
P1010836.JPG
These guys got the dipping job. Most be low men on the totem pole.
scudman

Postby claynlr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Scud...When you get a chance can you get a close up of the dipping vat and tell me your guys process for getting the insides of the box sections and then dealing with the excess? Are they just holding one end up to let the excess flow back into the vat? Thank you sir!
claynlr

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 pm

claynlr wrote:Scud...When you get a chance can you get a close up of the dipping vat and tell me your guys process for getting the insides of the box sections and then dealing with the excess? Are they just holding one end up to let the excess flow back into the vat? Thank you sir!

From the picture it looks as though the excess runs into the lower end support which is a c channel then back into the dipping trough. Simple but effective.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby scudman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 pm

claynlr wrote:Scud...When you get a chance can you get a close up of the dipping vat and tell me your guys process for getting the insides of the box sections and then dealing with the excess? Are they just holding one end up to let the excess flow back into the vat? Thank you sir!

Sometimewoodworker is correct. The dipping tank is a galvanized trough with enough primer in it to cover more than half of the largest .20cm wide steel. They dip one side, slosh it around, flip it over and do the other side. One end gets raised and most of the paint goes back in the trough. Then they carry it over to the rack that allows the steel to dry at an incline. The lower end drains the excess to a C-channel of steel that in turn drains it back into the trough.
scudman

Postby claynlr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks guys, I can see the process now! Does the steel have to be prepared in any way before dipping? Is it oily?
claynlr

Postby scudman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 am

claynlr wrote:Thanks guys, I can see the process now! Does the steel have to be prepared in any way before dipping? Is it oily?

The boys wiped the steel down with rags with a bit of Turpentine on them. The primer is thinned using Turpentine at about 1 : 1 as recommended on the primer paint can.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 pm

scudman wrote:
claynlr wrote:Thanks guys, I can see the process now! Does the steel have to be prepared in any way before dipping? Is it oily?

The boys wiped the steel down with rags with a bit of Turpentine on them. The primer is thinned using Turpentine at about 1 : 1 as recommended on the primer paint can.

Not a nice job for the boys, did you given them any gloves :cry: :lol:

pipoz
Attachments
Gloves.jpg
Gloves
Gloves.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 444 times
pipoz

Postby scudman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Still more walls are going up. Contractor says I can start locating wall switches and outlets if I want. The switches are at 1.3 m in our rental house. That sounds about right, except at Fred's place. Floor outlets are at .3m. That seems about right as well. I just know there are going to be more in each room.

Had a Macro out today to move the pile of dirt that came out of the cistern hole, and also to dig a couple of setptic tank & concrete ring stack holes. Finding places to put all that dirt was challenging.

Also poured the front steps today. Yay! Climbing up and down that .85 step was getting old.

Made a few changes today as well. Added a door to the TV room, reconfigured the glass block location and design in the bathrooms and changed the door to the Thai kitchen to a swinging door (2-way) with a safety glass window from a sliding door. Also moved a wall a bit to allow for a larger reefer. It was a productive day.
Attachments
P1010842.JPG
Front steps poured
P1010838.JPG
Macro at work...deep hole for the septic
P1010843.JPG
Walls, walls and more walls.
scudman

Postby scudman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 pm

pipoz wrote:
Not a nice job for the boys, did you given them any gloves :cry: :lol:

pipoz

Yeah, they got rubber gloves eventually. At first they were using big sticks for the boxes but they did not work for the C-channels.
scudman

Postby pipoz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 pm

I set my light switches at 1350mm above Finished Floor level.

Set my GPO's at 400mm above FFL

pipoz
pipoz

Postby scudman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:56 pm

I went to the site in the morning, sat there for 30 minutes in the shade watching them work but it was too damn hot so I went home and took a nap. Went back again around 5:00 for a look-see.

Two teams are still working on walls. The boys have stop priming steel for now and are helping the men construct the forms for the lintels over the windows and sliding glass door openings.

The foreman arrived with a 1300 liter, and 1600 liter septic tanks. Guessing the men will be in the holes by the end of the week making forms for the base concrete slab for them to sit on.
Attachments
P1010845.JPG
Lintel form over one of the three 4 meter door openings.
P1010846.JPG
Lintel forms over window.
P1010847.JPG
I am pretty sure these hooks attach to the steel in the lintels and then go up and get welded to the steel across the span of the window/door.
P1010848.JPG
Septic tanks arrive on site.
scudman

Postby scudman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Did not make it to the site yesterday. We were out hunting down a pair of old wooden doors for the entrance. No luck finding used, but a couple of places could build them for me. I made up some drawings and sent them out for quotes.

While I was posting this, a quote came in for the doors. 64K for teak doors and 49K for some other hardwood. Yikes.

Work continues on the walls and lintels. Some door frames arrived and are being installed. They coat them with shellac before install and then I am told they will be sanded and primed and top coat applied.

Working on the counters in the master bath. Contractor wanted to know the finished height and type of sink to install. Told him I preferred the sink that mounts under the counter top and the finished height should be 1 meter from FFH. Now I am at home with my tape measure and 1 meter seems a bit high. What height are you guys doing? I am thinking of changing it to .9 or .85. The wife is about 1.6 tall and I am 1.8 m.

Contractor is going to be gone 3 days on a trip to Chaing Mai, so I guess I have to be on site at least part of the next 3 days. It is a challenge conversing with the foreman however. Lots of pointing, drawing, pantomime and gesturing. It works most of the time.
Attachments
Door inside.jpg
Inside
front door.jpg
Outside
P1010852.JPG
Bedroom Slider lintel
P1010851.JPG
window lintel
P1010850.JPG
First of the door frames going in.
scudman