Our Building Story: in Phuket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our Building Story: in Phuket

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 am

Hello Scudman, looking good so far, but I would agree with Splitlid. There's (for me) nothing better than having glass instead of a wall, waking up in the morning, opening up your curtains (remote-controlled...yeah) and look over a beautiful courtyard/pool.

I also wonder why you would section off so much in your living-room side. Office/Media-room/Living-room. I'd understand the office, of course, but your living can be a perfect combination of living/media.
I'd argue that you'll either be in your media or living room, so why not combine the two into a larger room together since you already have the lounge area next to it? If you are a high-end media systems person, I could understand why you'd want to have a perfect shape for sound, but then still, you'd need a larger throw-distance for a projector to get a decent sized screen on the wall. I estimate you got it sized at 3 x 2.5 meters in your drawings. That would give you an 80" screen with an average projector, hardly a cinema experience. I use an old but at the time very expensive (got it free, not crazy paying that kind of money) sony projector in our bedroom at 4.5 meters and it gives me an enormous 120" screen because it has a very good throw-ratio.
So I would combine the living and media into a bigger room.

Good luck with your build. Looking forward to see more pictures of the progress.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby scudman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 am

Mike
Thanks for the comments. I am not a big fan of air-con. The bedrooms will have units but that is all. Cross ventilation and fans is what I am going for. I am going for a 2 meter overhang on all sides, so no sun should ever hit a window opening or a wall from about 1 meter up. That should keep it a lot cooler. I still need to run my shadow program for all times of the year to confirm that.

splitlid,
Thanks for the input. Yes I may need to adjust a bit on the height. I was going to use the prefab concrete slabs for floors with a pour on top. I will leave it to the architect to calculate all that with just my input to leave a 2 ft. crawl space. I am pretty sure wind is just like water and electrons. It takes the path of least resistance, so the 2 meter breezeways should get air flow. The perimeter fence is not going to be very high and the top section will be more or less open construction.

Luc,
I will ask the architect to try a few arrangements in the bedroom layout to see if he can come up with a pool facing layout. That is what I started to do, but I just could not do it. This way I get garden and pool. Facing the pool I only get pool. As for the Living / Media rooms. I find that, in our house, the living room is where people sit around and talk, kids do homework, people are always coming and going. It is hard to watch TV with all that going on. I wanted a room for watching TV/movies that was just for that. You will notice that the room has no windows. I am no audio/video guru but my 50" plasma is going to look fantastic in that room when I draw the black curtain over the entrance way.
scudman

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

Hello Scudman,

Indeed if it's for casual TV/movies, yep, no argument. That would be a good size for it with a 50" TV. My reasoning came partly from the 3 'cinema' chairs in the back of the media-room, at least that's how I understood them.
But if your living room is the busy place in the house, then I'd try to make it bigger than it is now. Your lounge is huge compared to your living.
To make it 'look' bigger, I'd consider putting glass walls and sliding doors in both office and media room.
That way, you don't get the cramped feeling of walls all around you in the living room while you can easily close both off with curtains if you need privacy.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby scudman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

Luc,
Thanks for the suggestion. I just grabbed some comfortable looking chairs out of the Sketch up Warehouse to drop in there just for effect. I will look at how to make the living room larger. I think most of the sitting around is going to be outside, at least during the day. I think the living room will end up just being a retreat in inclement weather.
scudman

Postby scudman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am

I finished the roof off today. 2 meter of overhang all the way around. I want to be able to walk to any room in the rain without getting wet and to sit outside under cover. Since I plan to use Colorbond (white) for the roof with PU insulation sprayed underneath. I think a 2 meter over hang is doable without columns, but the engineer will have to confirm of course. I want to keep the columns to a minimum.
Attachments
roof 4.png
roof 3.png
roof 2.png
roof 1.png
scudman

Postby scudman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:41 pm

I am in the process of getting quotes from Architects. I have 2 quotes now, another due this week and the 4th I am not sure about. Anyway I architect came back with his quote and a sketch of his idea for the layout of the house that basically incorporates my design but with a slight twist. I like it. It opens up the pool area, isolates the guest cottages a bit more and makes the entrance better. What do you think?
BTW. one Architect quote is 150,000, the other is 180,000.
Attachments
Option 1.pdf
(44.63 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
scudman

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm

scudman wrote: I like it.

I like it too, it'll make for more interesting living.
fredlk

Postby MyobJefke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:03 pm

scudman wrote:I am in the process of getting quotes from Architects. I have 2 quotes now, another due this week and the 4th I am not sure about. Anyway I architect came back with his quote and a sketch of his idea for the layout of the house that basically incorporates my design but with a slight twist. I like it. It opens up the pool area, isolates the guest cottages a bit more and makes the entrance better. What do you think?
BTW. one Architect quote is 150,000, the other is 180,000.

wow.... looks great....
This architect is not sleeping :wink:
and...
It gives me some extra inspiration for the open design i intend to setup .
MyobJefke

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 am

I think your plan looks great, with plenty of windows and doors and that 2mt wide gap you should catch any breeze that's around. With your roof overhang of 2mts that's quite a lot but as long as you are using a steel truss roof system properly designed ,it shouldn't be a problem. You might have to put a bit of thought into the guttering with all that roofing with the tropical down pours. Remember flat roof or steep roof there's the same amount of rain area but with a steep one the water rushes down faster and I have never seen a gutter big enough to cope yet , or enough down pipes mainly.
Mike Judd

Postby scudman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 am

Mike Judd wrote: You might have to put a bit of thought into the guttering with all that roofing with the tropical down pours. Remember flat roof or steep roof there's the same amount of rain area but with a steep one the water rushes down faster and I have never seen a gutter big enough to cope yet , or enough down pipes mainly.

Yes Mike, I have been thinking about that. I plan to collect rain water to use for watering the landscape, washing cars, bikes etc. With this new approach to the design I am considering a pitched flat roof with the low end to the outside of the Octogon, if you can imagine that configuration. Then the guttering can be on the 'outside' with an appropriate number of downspouts, rather than in the pool area.
scudman

Postby scudman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Architects quotes are in ranging from 150,000 baht to 280,000 baht. The low end guy speaks pretty good English, is local, works close to the build site and gave me some excellent design ideas. More than likely going with him.
Had a meeting with the Deep Bore Well guy here in Phuket. He seems to have a monopoly on this business as I could find no one else on the web, in the service providers directories, or from CTH or TD members in this area. I got the spiel about being only 1.5 km to the ocean, probably salt water or brackish water down there story. He wants 50,000 baht to do a survey and 170,000 to drill to a maximum of 60 meters. Going to continue to try to find at least one more well driller to get a second quote.
scudman

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

scudman wrote:Had a meeting with the Deep Bore Well guy here in Phuket. He seems to have a monopoly on this business as I could find no one else on the web, in the service providers directories, or from CTH or TD members in this area. I got the spiel about being only 1.5 km to the ocean, probably salt water or brackish water down there story. He wants 50,000 baht to do a survey and 170,000 to drill to a maximum of 60 meters. Going to continue to try to find at least one more well driller to get a second quote.

You guys pay quite a premium for living down there!

Mine was 70,000 THB all-in for 70 metres and I thought that was expensive ... due to a cartel operating around CM. As Thai neighbours have paid the same I know it wasn't just a Farang price.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am

Years back I paid 15000 with pump in Isaan.
These days around Sakeaw I get prices about 15000 without pump and approx 40m drilling.
And always: No water no need to pay!
Maseratimartin

Postby scudman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm

I signed a contract with an architect yesterday. The process is officially underway. Now I need to get started on a few things like going to the Land Office to get official property boundary markers put in. There are some that were put in some 12 years ago but are long since covered with soil, ground cover and debris. I may see if I can dig one or more out, if the queue to get new ones is too long. I need to get the Phuket Electric Authority out to the land to talk about temporary electricity. I want to get at least 2 walls built on the 'wet' sides before the rain starts so I do not lose any more soil to the neighbors land. Need to get more dirt in to build up the access road and add some gravel before the rain starts as well. Otherwise no one will be able to get in. And finally, and least for the near term, decide on whether to spend 50,000 baht to have a geological survey done, presumed to improve the drillers chance of finding water. But asking the geologist that came out to the plot to meet us and look at the site about his methods of determining where to drill, I did not have a warm fuzzy feeling about his methodology, especially after coming home and scouring the internet for the actual methods for searching underground. So I may just forego the survey and tell him to drill in either of the two eastern corners. Yikes, I am feeling stressed already.
scudman

Postby gliffaes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 pm

MGV12 wrote:
scudman wrote:Had a meeting with the Deep Bore Well guy here in Phuket. He seems to have a monopoly on this business as I could find no one else on the web, in the service providers directories, or from CTH or TD members in this area. I got the spiel about being only 1.5 km to the ocean, probably salt water or brackish water down there story. He wants 50,000 baht to do a survey and 170,000 to drill to a maximum of 60 meters. Going to continue to try to find at least one more well driller to get a second quote.

You guys pay quite a premium for living down there!

Mine was 70,000 THB all-in for 70 metres and I thought that was expensive ... due to a cartel operating around CM. As Thai neighbours have paid the same I know it wasn't just a Farang price.

Its the same down here with makro hire, they dont want competition so lets make the price all the same!!
gliffaes

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story