Renovating our Townhouse in Rangsit-Pathum

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Renovating our Townhouse in Rangsit-Pathum

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:09 pm

And finally, the breaker box.
It's a heavy duty one, got it almost free. Plenty enough space to properly connect everything.
Electric was done (wire-pulling) by the contractor himself.
For connecting everything, he brought in his own sparky.
IMGP8315.jpg
this is the normal view opening the box

IMGP8321.jpg
more wires arriving every day

Because we did not want to drill through the wood floors upstairs, we decided to route all cables outside in the back and then through the kitchen-roof.
IMGP8319.jpg
upper floors electric

IMGP8336.jpg
spaghetti inside the box
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm

After sanding the wood floors of Master Bed and Study, my contractor was almost loosing it when he started thinking about the stairs and railings.
Given that he'd been working for 3 months already, I just couldn't get myself to seeing him sand and paint all that in the same way.
So we decided to sand it lightly and then have the railings painted white and the stairs in 2 colors, white for standing parts and dark brown for the steps.
Saved a hell of a lot of work and time.
In hindsight, I'm very happy we did that, the stairs has become one of the eye-catching points in the house.
IMGP8339.jpg
filling in the bad spots before painting

IMGP8317.jpg
brand new stairs

IMGP8429.jpg
sparkling new railings
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Said it before, but the last picture above shows how the contractor would leave the house every day after finishing his work.
schuimpge

Postby suklun » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm

schuimpge wrote:Said it before, but the last picture above shows how the contractor would leave the house every day after finishing his work.

As said before, I plan to renovate my house in the coming October. The work of your contractor looks O.K. Can you give me your contractor's contact for cost estimation? Many thanks in advance.
suklun

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Hello Suklun,

Sorry, I could, but he normally does not do renovations as its too time consuming. He did it for me as a 'payback' for all the work I gave him. He is very very hesitant to do any renovation. New builds are faster and deliver more money for him.

For the total renovation including all kitchen equipment, materials and labour I paid 500k THB. Some might say expensive at this point but not finished yet..
Kitchen alone would be that amount if you'd buy it ready made from prices I've seen.
But regardless, I think I was very lucky to get this done by him.

I will check for you but don't think he will have time or interest for months to come, working on a big project right now.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby suklun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am

schuimpge wrote:Hello Suklun,

Sorry, I could, but he normally does not do renovations as its too time consuming. He did it for me as a 'payback' for all the work I gave him. He is very very hesitant to do any renovation. New builds are faster and deliver more money for him.

For the total renovation including all kitchen equipment, materials and labour I paid 500k THB. Some might say expensive at this point but not finished yet..
Kitchen alone would be that amount if you'd buy it ready made from prices I've seen.

I will check for you but don't think he will have time or interest for months to come, working on a big project right now.

Cheers,
Luc

Never mind. Thanks anyway. My renovation project was divided into 2 stages. The first one is the structural construction on the garage in front of the house and the washing slab at the back of the house. Both places subsided within 2 -3 months after handover from the developer 20 years ago. We complainted but they refused to rectify. Then we hired a contractor to re-build the garage and the washing slab by using 6m long hexagonal piles like yours. However, after a few months, they sunk again (see attached photos). Hence this time, we hired a proper piling contractor to do 10 no. 15m deep bored piles to support a deck (4m wide x 11m long) behind the house and reinforced retaining walls like a box (1.8 m deep) at the garage. This construction work will be completed this month. We shall wait and check whether those places will sink or not. That's why the second stage of renovation work will start in October. The second stage renovation work will involve complete replacement of electrical and plumbing system, roof insulation, tiles on the floor, kitchen, toilets and add a new kitchen on the deck (if it is not subsided). Of course, we shall ask the cost of the 2nd stage work from the current contractor but it is better to have second price or opinon from other contractor.
Attachments
washing slab.JPG
The washing slab was supported by 6m long hexagonal concrete piles in one metre apart but it still subsided
Garage.JPG
The garage was supported by 6m long hexagonal concrete piles and wire mesh but it still subsided
suklun

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:39 am

Hello Suklun,

That's some nasty sinking ground you have. Have seen some of that at the roads closer to the boundaries of the estate where I live. But my soi is pretty good after 15+ years.
Second house I bought is pretty much original and slab went down maybe 10cm in those years, but that's without piling at all.
Backside is only a small deck, but it's still in place without sinking or breaking.

Looks to me that your house is on a backfilled 'hill' while the garden is lower?
Or did the surrounding grounds subside that much?

If not, then I can imagine the problem for your washing-area. You'd need a retaining wall to keep the soil under it from shifting.

Good luck, hope you've finally gotten it fixed.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 am

schuimpge wrote:
merry-terry wrote:8) looks good, i like the kitchen tiles, but no 'gap' ? may find they 'blow' eventually. Thanks for sharing..

There is a gap between the tiles. Last close up picture, you can see that it's washed in with grout, only, the grout has been colored yellow. So far, everything is still good and no burst or anything, after a good 2 years.

Cheers,
Luc

MT, I see what you mean. Not sure how large the gap is, minimal for sure. But the wall was properly dry and have never had problems with the tiles so far.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am

Off to Vietnam for the rest of the week, so nothing much will be posted.
Did get some work done in the new house...Will start that thread soon.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby suklun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 pm

suklun wrote:

Cheers,
Luc

Never mind. Thanks anyway. My renovation project was divided into 2 stages. The first one is the structural construction on the garage in front of the house and the washing slab at the back of the house. Both places subsided within 2 -3 months after handover from the developer 20 years ago. We complainted but they refused to rectify. Then we hired a contractor to re-build the garage and the washing slab by using 6m long hexagonal piles like yours. However, after a few months, they sunk again (see attached photos). Hence this time, we hired a proper piling contractor to do 10 no. 15m deep bored piles to support a deck (4m wide x 11m long) behind the house and reinforced retaining walls like a box (1.8 m deep) at the garage. This construction work will be completed this month. We shall wait and check whether those places will sink or not. That's why the second stage of renovation work will start in October. The second stage renovation work will involve complete replacement of electrical and plumbing system, roof insulation, tiles on the floor, kitchen, toilets and add a new kitchen on the deck (if it is not subsided). Of course, we shall ask the cost of the 2nd stage work from the current contractor but it is better to have second price or opinon from other contractor.

The photos of my completed retaining walls + reinforced concrete floor for garage and centilevered deck at the back of my house are attached. Both structures do not attached to the existing structure of the house. Any failure of the structure will not cause any damage of the house. The second stage of renovation will start in coming November.
retaining walls of garage 1.JPG
Rebars of the retaining walls
Attachments
deck 3.jpg
DB 20 are used for the cantilever deck
deck 3.jpg (20.63 KiB) Viewed 650 times
deck 2.jpg
Beams for the deck
deck 2.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 650 times
deck 1.jpg
10 no. 15m deep bored piles for the deck
deck 1.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Retaining walls of garage 4.JPG
The final look of the retaining walls and reinforced concrete floor of the garage
retaining walls of garage 3.jpg
The retaining walls completed and soil is put back in the "box" oof the enclosed retaining walls
retaining walls of garage 3.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 650 times
retaining walls of garage 2.JPG
First layer of concrete to bury the foot of the retaining walls
suklun

Postby suklun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 pm

suklun wrote:
suklun wrote:

Cheers,
Luc

The photos of my completed retaining walls + reinforced concrete floor for garage and centilevered deck at the back of my house are attached. Both structures do not attached to the existing structure of the house. Any failure of the structure will not cause any damage of the house. The second stage of renovation will start in coming November.
The attachment retaining walls of garage 1.JPG is no longer available

Further photos of the deck are attached.
Attachments
deck 7.JPG
Deck is completed
deck 6.jpg
Concrete is poured
deck 6.jpg (18.32 KiB) Viewed 648 times
deck 5.jpg
Rebars of concrete floor are placed
deck 5.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 648 times
deck 4.jpg
Soil is filled between beams
deck 4.jpg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 648 times
suklun

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Suklun,

Appreciate the pictures and info, but I think it's good to start a new thread with it so as not to create confusion.

I think many people including me will love to see the full story on your renovation.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby suklun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:21 pm

schuimpge wrote:Suklun,

Appreciate the pictures and info, but I think it's good to start a new thread with it so as not to create confusion.

I think many people including me will love to see the full story on your renovation.

Cheers,
Luc

Sure will do. After completion of 2 stage,I shall include all in the story.
suklun

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm

suklun wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Suklun,

Cheers,
Luc

Sure will do. After completion of 2 stage,I shall include all in the story.

Look forward to your story coming up.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 am

Quite some time ago since my last update.. Traveling for work a bit, but lets pick it up again.
Also to make time available for the next build, which I already started.
Laundry-room got tiled and is almost finished.
IMGP8320.jpg

IMGP8318.jpg

And kitchen got granite in.
IMGP8325.jpg
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story