New build. Udon Thani

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New build. Udon Thani

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 am

Maluckyday wrote:What page/s should I focus on?

If only the planks interest you then page 18.
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:20 am

Galee wrote:
gliffaes wrote:No way that fitting will fit on that sink as it has flange on its base , wont go into the corner of the sink?.

Tap moved and nicely situated in the corner of the sink unit with no overlap. Only problem now is the tap has developed a leak and we've got to go back to HomePro.

Oneday, I read on here that cost per sq/mtr is calculated on roof area. In my case about 330 sq/mtr.

Pipoz, thanks, but I assure you it didn't feel like a quick build.

So they managed to remove the flange washer at the base ok then as it looked very close to the corner of the sink?
gliffaes

Postby Psychic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Galee,
Amazing job documenting your build and you home looks great. I really appreciate your effort. It sounded almost painless. I know it wasn't as I gutted a house in Canada. My " contractor" was cheap and good but the worked progressed inversely to his ability to pay for booze and pot. I equate that to a test run for building my Thai home. So I know that most days for you were probably "interesting" and I truly appreciate you telling us about it all.
I was just wondering about the contract you wrote with your builder. It actually sounds like he was, on the whole, a pretty competent and reasonable guy. So I was wondering how the contract was written. You said the crew size varied and ou didn't want to have to pay them for sitting around when supplies dried up. So were you paying per diem in some way?
Psychic

Postby Galee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Psychic, the contract stated that he was to be paid in increments as the job progressed with a completion time in weeks written into the contract. We went over this but no penalties were written into the contract and we were in no rush as we had anticipated the job going over by a few weeks.
If I knew when I signed the contract what I know now I would have gone through it with a fine tooth comb asking if X, Y and Z was included in the contract. Sometimes X and Z weren't included, but as I said at the beginning we were pleased to find a builder at short notice.
I wouldn't hesitate to use my builder again but I would do it differently. I would use him for the general construction only and hire my own plumber, electrician and tilers. I can't fault the guy who did the windows, ceilings and soffits, ( not included in the contract). or the decorators.

Here's today's photos. The first one is for gliffaes. Tap situated in the corner of the sink with flange still in situ.

The rest are of the patio garden, which was completed today. The pebbles are a bit of nostalgia for me as they remind me of the beach back at my home town in England.

Galee

Postby Psychic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks Galee. I can see where if you don't state it outright in the contract it won't get done no matter how much sense it makes. I am compiling a list of things I need to specify. Like venting for fixtures. In Canada it would be routine but in Thailand, apparently, it needs to be outlined in the contract before they bury the piping in concrete.
I had a few wobbly pops while reading your posts last night so sorry of you showed this. I know you put the 2 solar fans in the roof space. Was there a radiant barrier or insulation and how do you find the house as far as heat goes? I am trying to decide on the construction of my house to minimize heat but keep hearing different things about how to keep the roof space cool.
Psychic

Postby Maluckyday » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:09 am

fredlk wrote:
Maluckyday wrote:What page/s should I focus on?

If only the planks interest you then page 18.

Galee, apologies on replying in your post, I'm new here and haven't worked yet how to send a private message.

fredlk ... that was exactly what I was looking for ... :D
Maluckyday

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 am

Pyschic wrote. Was there a radiant barrier or insulation and how do you find the house as far as heat goes? I am trying to decide on the construction of my house to minimize heat but keep hearing different things about how to keep the roof space cool.
I would think it all depends on whether you intend to use Air-Con or not. With Air-Con the more the whole house or particular areas are insulated from the rest ,the more efficient and economically it works. As someone who suffers from colds and hay fever I prefer to do with out it. So as mentioned many times in my posts, I have gone for a design that allows moment of what ever breeze there is from what ever direction, plus ceiling fans as an extra. With the roof I put a good foil layer under the tiles which from experience I have found to reduce the sun's heat through out the day. But that does nothing to help the natural build up of hot air that always rises from below through the day. To ensure that has an escape route I have 2 gable ends that are just open vents, Apart from relying on natural moment I might if needed, install a fan up there to just switch on in the evening when the cooler night air kicks in. Other wise as any one who has gone up into ones roof late in the day will know, it's as hot as hell and like having a hot blanket on top of you. Hot air always rises if allowed to be replaced by cooler air. Hope that helps.?
Mike Judd

Postby Galee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 am

Pyschic. I decided to give up on stopping the hot air getting into the attic and opted for air movement and a reflective barrier on the ceiling. Does it work? The house is definitely cooler than our old one, not that that would be difficult to achieve. For the week we have been here we have not used the AC once, instead relying on fans. However the weather has been cloudy and wet.
If money is no object then I'd double up on roof and ceiling insulation with any other measures you feel necessary.
Galee

Postby olavhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Your patio garden look really nice. Specially liked the water feature :) . Im sure when the palm trees grow it will also help on temperature, both inside garden, but also make a shadowing effect on the roof.
olavhome

Postby Psychic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks Mike and Galee. I had pretty much decided to go with the radiant barrier under a white metal roof. I have been toying with earth tubes feeding slightly cooled air into the house venting out through the ceiling and into the roof space then out the top, thus eliminating AC while cycling cool air like a natural whole house fan. But I think problems getting these constructed properly at a reasonable price as well as possible future issues controlling condensation/mould has gotten me to a kind of hybrid model where I will try to keep the house cool as you have done Mike but with AC for the relatively few days it just gets too hot and humid. Still building my knowledge base, so thanks for your help.
Psychic

Previous

Return to Your Building Story