New build. Udon Thani

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New build. Udon Thani

Postby Galee » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 am

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Moving day, didn't go quite as expected. The plan was for my wife's family and a friend to arrive at our rented place about 8.00am load up the pick ups with as much as possible and head to the new house for the Buddhist blessings etc. Someone decided that the Buddhist blessing had to be done at 9.00am so everyone shot off, empty handed, leaving me to load up as much as possible and meet at the house. Get to the house and find in the rush we had forgotten the gas cylinder for cooking. Off I trek back for the bottle, plus another load whilst I'm there. Get back all the blessing bits done. The food gets cooked, the beer and whiskey flow and in typical Thai fashion moving house gets forgotten. About 2.00pm three vehicles head back to the old house to pick up the essentials that we need. I'm told I'm not wanted and continue chatting to a mate. About 1 hour later the small convoy returns laden with,?????, all the potted plants that were in the garden. :shock: I'm thinking, "Where's the bed and mattress?, the table etc, etc.". Obviously the plants were a higher priority. :( Later in the afternoon 2 pick ups go back again, me included, and pick up the bedding and the TV's and other electrical gear.
Would have had a good nights sleep. Very quiet, except the cat wasn't happy with her new home and woke me up every 30 minutes. :D
Thank fully our rent is paid up till the end of the month, so we have a few days still to clear the old house.
Galee

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 am

Galee wrote:Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Moving day, didn't go quite as expected. The plan was for my wife's family and a friend to arrive at our rented place about 8.00am load up the pick ups with as much as possible and head to the new house for the Buddhist blessings etc. Someone decided that the Buddhist blessing had to be done at 9.00am so everyone shot off, empty handed, leaving me to load up as much as possible and meet at the house. Get to the house and find in the rush we had forgotten the gas cylinder for cooking. Off I trek back for the bottle, plus another load whilst I'm there. Get back all the blessing bits done. The food gets cooked, the beer and whiskey flow and in typical Thai fashion moving house gets forgotten. About 2.00pm three vehicles head back to the old house to pick up the essentials that we need. I'm told I'm not wanted and continue chatting to a mate. About 1 hour later the small convoy returns laden with,?????, all the potted plants that were in the garden. :shock: I'm thinking, "Where's the bed and mattress?, the table etc, etc.". Obviously the plants were a higher priority. :( Later in the afternoon 2 pick ups go back again, me included, and pick up the bedding and the TV's and other electrical gear.
Would have had a good nights sleep. Very quiet, except the cat wasn't happy with her new home and woke me up every 30 minutes. :D
Thank fully our rent is paid up till the end of the month, so we have a few days still to clear the old house.

Sounds like your move was far smoother than most :lol: :lol:

Good job ... great house ... hope [with all the finishing off] you get a chance to fully enjoy it one day :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sunpax » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 am

I wish you plenty of luck and a tone of good times....

beautiful house ! congrats

Chok dee

wai
Sunpax

Postby dazzer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 am

Hi Galee, it does not seem that long since we came to visit you and check out your build, now all finished and moved in congratulation to you for such a good build I don't know what I will follow now must find a new build. only hope our build turns out to be as good as yours.
All the best for the future

Daryl and Tikky
dazzer

Postby gliffaes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 am

Galee wrote:Aargh, i don't believe it.

The other day the HomePro guy came to fit our water filtration system in the kitchen. After a quick discussion with the guy we decided the tap should go in the corner of the sink unit. Left him to it and went outside to do some work. About 30 minutes later I go back inside, the guy had gone. Looked at the filter tap and the pratt had fitted it to the wall instead of the sink. :twisted: At no time had I mentioned the wall. As you can see the thread under the tap is designed to go through fairly thick material. HomePro are coming back tomorrow to re-fit it in the position we agreed. Only problem is I have 3 unwanted holes in the wall and one in the sink. :evil:

Update on the house. House is finished with the exception of a few snags that need to be sorted. Moving in on Sunday. Will post some pics on Saturday.

Youve got to believe the most stupid things they can do, never EVER leave them to do anything, Id be asking homepro for a new sink new tiles and the labour..............then do it myself to make sure.
No way that fitting will fit on that sink as it has flange on its base , wont go into the corner of the sink?.
gliffaes

Congratulations!

Postby oneday » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:00 am

I just started reading your build story yesterday and finished it the day after you moved in. From some of the builds I've read it looks like yours went fairly well and the hiccups you've had have been or will be ironed out.

Nice looking house and thanks so much for taking the time to document it. I know what an effort it takes to document something like this.

Do you know yet if your water runoff solution with the 5 pits is working? Do you think some of your water problems could be solved once you have a yard/grass in place? And do you believe much of your problem is due to poor draining soil? This is a problem I don't want for sure. Our little dog also loves digging in the mud.

Would it be OK to ask what the cost of your project has been to date and how many square meters your home is?
oneday

Postby Galee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Oneday, one of my biggest regrets was being talked-in to having more soil put around the house. The new soil was a mixture of clay and rock, meaning the rain water doesn't drain through. The existing soil was a nice sandy mixture. I should have done what someone mentioned on here. Bulldoze a lot of the existing topsoil into a heap, put the new soil down and recover with the existing soil. I still have puddles in the garden but I'm think they would have been a lot bigger if the drainage cylinders were not there. Also the gardeners are running taps whilst making concrete etc.

Cost???? :D

To be honest I don't know. :shock: Up till about 4 weeks ago I was keeping track of everything with a projected cost of around 2.6M. Then we went through a period of manic buying and paying for extras that I no longer kept on top of expenditure. My thinking being, "it's got to be finished so it's going to cost whatever it costs". I think it's around the 3m mark, give or take the odd thousand.
Galee

Postby oneday » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 pm

That pretty much answers my question on cost. I found where you said your project, and I think that included carport, would be about 200 sq meters, so that gives me a good idea if I'm in the ballpark on my anticipated build.

I know what you mean about, "it will cost what it costs". Once you've gone that far there's no way you're going to scrimp.

Our first step will be putting dirt on, but I don't think we'll need that much. Anyway, I'm now making sure the GF understands the soil needs to drain well, though I suppose we could put tougher dirt under where the house will sit.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.
oneday

Postby pipoz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Congradulations Galee, well done and all done in a quick time from start to finish

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Galee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

gliffaes wrote:No way that fitting will fit on that sink as it has flange on its base , wont go into the corner of the sink?.

Tap moved and nicely situated in the corner of the sink unit with no overlap. Only problem now is the tap has developed a leak and we've got to go back to HomePro.

Oneday, I read on here that cost per sq/mtr is calculated on roof area. In my case about 330 sq/mtr.

Pipoz, thanks, but I assure you it didn't feel like a quick build.
Galee

Postby pipoz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Galee wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Pipoz, thanks, but I assure you it didn't feel like a quick build.

I can assure you, that compared to many others on the forum, your start to finish time looks, fits within the Top 10 shortest, and will certainly beat the time schedule that I have set for mine
pipoz

Postby Maluckyday » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:56 am

pipoz wrote:Hi looks great.
How thick did you pour your concrete slab on top of your precast planks and what sort of reinforcement within the concrete slab
pipoz

Galee wrote:Hi pipoz. A thick wire mesh, approx 6" square spacing, was laid over the slabs before the pour, which I think was about 3-4 inches thick. I was at golf when they did that. :D

Of all the days to be playing golf ... this was the part of the build I was most interested in ... :)

You have done a great job with both the commentary and the photo selection and I'm late to the thread.
Now I should be doing other things, but will have to read to the end to see all the process to the final build.

Does anyone else know if a build here where that part of the process (pre-cast slabs/planks were used as a suspended floor) is documented?

If so ... link?
Maluckyday

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:15 am

Maluckyday wrote:Does anyone else know if a build here where that part of the process (pre-cast slabs/planks were used as a suspended floor) is documented?
If so ... link?

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:47 am

fredlk wrote:Maluckyday wrote:
Does anyone else know if a build here where that part of the process (pre-cast slabs/planks were used as a suspended floor) is documented?
If so ... link?

If you want photos and a commentary of the whole process including how to bond them together, start here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=405
Roger Ramjet

Postby Maluckyday » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 am

fredlk wrote:
Maluckyday wrote:Does anyone else know if a build here where that part of the process (pre-cast slabs/planks were used as a suspended floor) is documented?
If so ... link?

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698

Thanks for that ...

What page/s should I focus on?
... it is a big thread!
Maluckyday

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story