Kanchanburi, continued

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Kanchanburi, continued

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:28 am

Hi everyone and happy new year:

First of all, a clarification, we have 5 rai, not 10. Either I was confused or it was wishful thinking.

We have filled a total of 200 x 35 metres, about 4.3 Rai and built a very substantial road about 120 metres long by 5 metres wide.

We are building a plant nursery on the 4.3 metres and carved out close to a rai for our house.

The road took about 3 metres of fill compressed down to 1.5 metres high and the actual fill for the land portion is about 60 to 80 cm higher. It all looks very good to me, a lot better than before.

The total cost so far has been 470,000 baht. It feels about right.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Glenn

Postby soidog1 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:01 pm

This obsession with fill is puzzling.
Why not build above the ground as is traditional?
A pond around the hosue is a bonus,isn't it?
Tell me why you are so stupid?
soidog1

Postby Itchy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:03 pm

I Hope you saved your top soil to be put back after the fill.
Itchy

why call someone stupid ?

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 pm

Hey Soidog:

I guess you didn't read what I wrote. Before you wrote your nonsense.

We are building a nursery there not a house.
Glenn

Postby dozer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:50 pm

Most interested in seeing pics. Sounds like an neat project.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby soidog1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:59 pm

My initial comments stand.
Why this thai/falang obsession with fill and masonry?
Build a lightweight framed house on poles as is the most efficient way in the tropics.
Have a look at troppo architects or glenn murcett,australians design great tropical buildings.
soidog1

Postby Itchy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Well I have one good reason for not going lightweight.

Noise.

I also take the view that there is no one asnwer to building to suit a particular environment, rather there are sets of answers each with its own merits.

There is however a problem where the wrong set of design aspects are combined without consideration to their impact on the overall design.

We see this, for example, in the incorrect selection of insulation methods.

Lightweight buildings on stilts are one answer, there are others and each has its own merits.
Itchy

Postby dozer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Build a lightweight framed house on poles as is the most efficient way in the tropics.

It is good you said thai/falang, because that is in fact the case. Before in the village it used to be wood houses on poles, with maybe an cement sitting area/kictchen below - now everyone (meaning Thais with no foreigner affiliation) has switched over to concrete. Part of the anwser is in the hard woods that were previously used, now they are prohibitively expensive. The woods that were used were absolutely imprevious to termites. Still you do see some raised wood houses being newly constructed, but it is a minority. Driving factor: cost.

As Itchy says, there are always a range of solutions to building here. Up until about years ago, at least in the Pattaya area, building a house was looked at as an 'expendible' - something you had to do that had no resale value, much like buying toliet paper. Now it has all changed - which is a good thing I would think. The concept being - come live in a tropical paradise, in a house that you love, and make money when you leave! This does of course factor into design decisions on the house in question!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:32 am

Pictures taken last week.
Attachments
road.jpg
land.jpg
Glenn

Postby blue eyes » Sun May 07, 2006 3:42 am

dozer wrote:

It is good you said thai/falang, because that is in fact the case. Before in the village it used to be wood houses on poles, with maybe an cement sitting area/kictchen below - now everyone (meaning Thais with no foreigner affiliation) has switched over to concrete. Part of the anwser is in the hard woods that were previously used, now they are prohibitively expensive. The woods that were used were absolutely imprevious to termites. Still you do see some raised wood houses being newly constructed, but it is a minority. Driving factor: cost.

As Itchy says, there are always a range of solutions to building here. Up until about years ago, at least in the Pattaya area, building a house was looked at as an 'expendible' - something you had to do that had no resale value, much like buying toliet paper. Now it has all changed - which is a good thing I would think. The concept being - come live in a tropical paradise, in a house that you love, and make money when you leave! This does of course factor into design decisions on the house in question!

Yes it is expensive to build with wood now.Here is a photo of or finished home it cost about 8.5K US
Living a life of Lovkindness will make this life and many more happy ones.
blue eyes

Return to Your Building Story