Renovate or build - The dilemma

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Renovate or build - The dilemma

Postby sisaketdeaming » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello All,

I am in a dilemma whether to renovate or knock down and build.

My GF's family live near sisaket in a very basic house. It is actually only 2 years old but was built with reycled everything. The only new materials are the iron on the roof.
See below

houseupload.jpg

The existing house is roughly 8m x 8m.

I will not be living in this house so it does not have to be to western standards. It currently has dirt floor and the timber walls on the exterior do not line up. Inside there are no dividing walls. No kitchen.

My idea was to put down a concrete slab inside. Divide the internal area into 2 3m x 4m bedrooms and leave the rest of the area for living area. Make an undercover area outside for kitchen. Also small carport for 2 motorbikes. They already have a big (3m x 3m) pergola with a grass roof at the front of their yard which seems to be the social entertaining area.

Any idea on cost of this project? Am I better off just knocking it down and start with a new house?

Thanks in advance
sisaketdeaming

Re: Renovate or build - The dilemma

Postby sisaketdeaming » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Sorry - forgot to mention.

I was going to re do the exterior walls - either timber or brick (not sure which is cheaper). Also they have a newly built toilet/bathroom detached from the house
sisaketdeaming

Postby sirineou » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Me and my wife have being renovating her parents house for years, and they still have an old house.
At this point I am tired of throwing good money after bad, and we are considering knocking down the whole house and starting new. I wish I had done this a long time ago, by now we have spend enough money on repairs to have paid for half of the cost of a new structure.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:52 pm

sisaketdeaming wrote:Inside there are no dividing walls.

Some Thai people like living in one large room and don't like having a separate bedroom.
fredlk

Postby pipoz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:19 pm

sisaketdeaming wrote:Hello All,

I am in a dilemma whether to renovate or knock down and build.

My GF's family live near sisaket in a very basic house. It is actually only 2 years old but was built with reycled everything. The only new materials are the iron on the roof.
See below

The attachment houseupload.jpg is no longer available

The existing house is roughly 8m x 8m.

I will not be living in this house so it does not have to be to western standards. It currently has dirt floor and the timber walls on the exterior do not line up. Inside there are no dividing walls. No kitchen.

My idea was to put down a concrete slab inside. Divide the internal area into 2 3m x 4m bedrooms and leave the rest of the area for living area. Make an undercover area outside for kitchen. Also small carport for 2 motorbikes. They already have a big (3m x 3m) pergola with a grass roof at the front of their yard which seems to be the social entertaining area.

Any idea on cost of this project? Am I better off just knocking it down and start with a new house?

Thanks in advance

My best guess from looking at it, is to knock it down or sell it off as materials.

There is a great post from SEZZE under section "Your Building Storey", headed "Building Holiday Home near Udon" that shows what can be built for a relatively small expensie, as per the pictures below (copied from his post and he has heaps of great pictures). Suggest you look at his post, as from memory, the house of 7m x 12m = 84m2, and cost him around TB 400,000 to 450,000, I think. Anyway, he can tell you if you ask him.
Attachments
4 Finished House External 1  P1010671.jpg
2 Columns & Roof Steel Thai House 1 P1010136.jpg
pipoz

Postby sisaketdeaming » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks guys.

Sezzes house looks amazing. I was trying to get out of it as cheap as possible. I am really just trying to give the parents something better to live in. Keep the insects out and weather proof the building. I know what you mean about throwing good money after bad
sisaketdeaming

Postby unclezillion » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Breeze type blocks are about 5 baht each (or were) those with cement screed, a concrete floor, and corrugated roof will do fine. add a slop of paint ,bathroom ( thai toilet and shower or just a tap and a big pot for water ) and outside kitchen and you have the average issan home but still an improvement on what they have.
As long as they can keep dry, clean, fed, and watch the TV they will be fine, In a way the more you spoil them the more they will want!
You could do the above for less than 200,000 or a million or two it all depends how much you want to spend. Now it all changes if you are building the home for your eventual occupation but if not the above is fine if your partner will accept :lol:
No matter what you build you will not keep the insects out! :shock:
Looking at the above pic i would block and screed the walls and add a concrete floor ( no need for tiles). add a window or two,door, block bathroom area, and paint very cheap. if the reinforced frame is there i would leave it and just fill in-between.
That would sort it for now and you could add a little every couple of years or so without breaking the bank should you so wish.
unclezillion

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Looking at it you already have precast posts holding up the roof so subject to if they put a footing under them you might get away with removing a wall at a time and concrete block (thai) the downside is if its like my mother in laws the posts are likely set on dirt in which case a bit more work required having to add foundation pads then a ground beam then your walls with some mucking around you can retain the roof throughout saving a lerge peice of the budget those post are very easy to drill through so making a jig to support them while a footing is added should not be a problem and you could add rebar through the posts as you cast the ground beams adding to their support AS fred stated consider their feeling they might like the large open aspect but even a couple of stud walls plasterboarded woul give them some privacy
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to Your Building Story