Passively Cooled House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Passively Cooled House

Postby poodentaine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 am

I have successfully built a passively cooled home in the northern part of TH. Even though rooms were pre-wired for AC, none has been installed...yet. And it is going on three years old now. Anyone with an interest in such a dwelling, I will be happy to share what I know and can direct you to great internet sites with lots of information as well.

As a side note: I did do every cm of plumbing in it myself...of course I was telling my helper, Somchi exactlly how and what to do...and no problems at all, ie, no surprises hidden inside the sidewalk or interior walls. PE
poodentaine

Re: Passively Cooled House

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:23 pm

poodentaine wrote:I have successfully built a passively cooled home in the northern part of TH. Even though rooms were pre-wired for AC, none has been installed...yet. And it is going on three years old now. Anyone with an interest in such a dwelling, I will be happy to share what I know and can direct you to great internet sites with lots of information as well.

As a side note: I did do every cm of plumbing in it myself...of course I was telling my helper, Somchi exactlly how and what to do...and no problems at all, ie, no surprises hidden inside the sidewalk or interior walls. PE

Your building story together with experience would be of great interest.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby runker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes, let's see what you've done.
runker

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 pm

runker wrote:Yes, let's see what you've done.

Agree, show us.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby gliffaes » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm

And bear in mind you cant cool a house lower than ambient air temps, all you could do is trap the night time cooler air inside at night then seal the house up during the day to keep that cooler air in.
You cant cool a house lower than air temps without aircon.
Building on the ground is also better on stilts does not cool it down, the ground under the house is always cooler than the air around it, all stilts do is let the hot air get under the house.
Of course catching the breeze is good but when the wind stops blowing??
gliffaes

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:20 pm

gliffaes wrote:And bear in mind you cant cool a house lower than ambient air temps, all you could do is trap the night time cooler air inside at night then seal the house up during the day to keep that cooler air in.

That isn't true. It is quite posible, with the correct design, to cool a house to lower than ambient temps -5 or much more. without aircon. The Arabs have been doing it for thousands of years. For more information look for wind towers, or Windcatchers.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sirineou » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
gliffaes wrote:And bear in mind you cant cool a house lower than ambient air temps, all you could do is trap the night time cooler air inside at night then seal the house up during the day to keep that cooler air in.

That isn't true. It is quite posible, with the correct design, to cool a house to lower than ambient temps -5 or much more. without aircon. The Arabs have been doing it for thousands of years. For more information look for wind towers, or Windcatchers.

I an afraid Gliffaes is correct in his assessment, the second law of thermodynamics sees to that.
I don't think the Arabs have devised a way to overcome the laws of thermodynamics.but they, and others, have devised ways to use natural processes to mitigate fluctuations in temperatures by the use of material and design that store cooler tamperatures for use at warmer times, and air movement for transfer of such temperature differential.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Before we all venture into this argument too far I think it would be advisable to read this: http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs46.h
Because, the topic is passively cooled house it might pay to stick to that subject.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:59 pm

sirineou wrote:

I an afraid Gliffaes is correct in his assessment, the second law of thermodynamics sees to that.
I don't think the Arabs have devised a way to overcome the laws of thermodynamics.but they, and others, have devised ways to use natural processes to mitigate fluctuations in temperatures by the use of material and design that store cooler tamperatures for use at warmer times, and air movement for transfer of such temperature differential.

While you can't break the laws of thermodynamics you can avoid them.

The windcatcher's effectiveness had led to its routine use as a refrigerating device in Persian architecture. Many traditional water reservoirs (ab anbars) are built with windcatchers that are capable of storing water at near freezing temperatures during summer months.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WindcatcherThis will show you how using passive cooling, with water evaporation can reduce temperatures significantly below ambient.

While some of the architecture does store, it also is able to cool by passing hot air over water using evaporative cooling thus cooling buildings below ambient.

All of this however true is worthless speculation without information from the OP in his design
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:to cool by passing hot air over water using evaporative cooling thus cooling buildings below ambient.

Which is what I will be doing once I've added the water-features.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 am

fredlk wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:to cool by passing hot air over water using evaporative cooling thus cooling buildings below ambient.

Which is what I will be doing once I've added the water-features.

You need to be careful Fred, may be you will need to buy winter clothing. :lol:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:16 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:You need to be careful Fred, may be you will need to buy winter clothing. :lol:

I've been thinking about that now that the evening temperatures are a perfect 25 or 26 degrees. I had estimated I'd be able to get the temperatures down to 24 degrees. I'm hoping that switching the pumps off at about 5 p.m. might help against hypothermia. :lol: I have saved one sweater from Europe plus woolen gloves and thermal underwear, just in case.
fredlk

Postby thailazer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am

Poodentaine... Tell us how you achieved the passive cooling on you house. What concept did you use? How did you design it in?
thailazer

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:55 am

Electronic equipment can have a fairly significant effect on temps in a room.

Here are the thermal outputs for iMacs

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page= ... r%20heater

British Thermal Unit - Btu (the amount of heat to raise 1 lb of water by 1oF)

I know, I know old school. :roll:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Your water is in fact the aircon.
gliffaes

Next

Return to Your Building Story