Grand mum's New house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Gutter 33M + pipe to water pots (฿9,400) in place and finishing a concrete apron round the house
Image

Image

The reason for the funky roof brackets
Image

Image

the reason for the price
Image

The first undercoat with no water added !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image

Image





TBC
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby geordie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Dont worry they will water the second one :lol: :lol: self explanatary now the gutter is in situ :roll: just looked like a thai solution :lol: :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby gliffaes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 am

geordie wrote:Dont worry they will water the second one :lol: :lol: self explanatary now the gutter is in situ :roll: just looked like a thai solution :lol: :lol: :lol:


What I dont see here with painting is the UK way ie cut in first with brush then infill after with roller? Also the straight up and down painting only?
gliffaes
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:04 am

gliffaes wrote:
geordie wrote:Dont worry they will water the second one :lol: :lol: self explanatary now the gutter is in situ :roll: just looked like a thai solution :lol: :lol: :lol:


What I dont see here with painting is the UK way ie cut in first with brush then infill after with roller? Also the straight up and down painting only?

TIT :lol: it's done by the villagers in the reverse way. This is after the first coat.

Image

And just for Geordie. :roll: the weren't allowed to water down the second undercoat either. :D :D And even if they had once you see the final colour you will appreciate that a poor undercoat would have had no effect. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby sirineou » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 am

Hey guys , sorry to spoil the let's make fun of the Thais and the way they work party,
But rolling first and then trimming what you missed with the roller, is the fastest way to paint.
Trimming first means that you have to trim everywhere and for at least a couple of inches because you don't know how close you will be able to get with the roller.
Also if you trim first , by the time you go to role the trim paint is dry and where the roller overlaps the trim paint you will get more paint and it could show, it is a lot easier to feather the trim paint with a brush on the rolled paint than to feather the paint with a roller on a couple of inches of trim paint.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 pm

The ghost house gets an upgrade

Image

Image

Image

The inside is a pale pink with very glossy doors sprayed by me.
Image

SWMBO got nice matching curtains for the windows.

Image

tiling after painting turned out to be a poor idea as the pain got marked by the cement when the tiles were put down

Image

A husband and wife team in the toilet/shower (the only team we would use again) using top down tiling very different from the UK bottom up!!!

Image

Image




TBC
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby gliffaes » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:58 pm

sirineou wrote:Hey guys , sorry to spoil the let's make fun of the Thais and the way they work party,
But rolling first and then trimming what you missed with the roller, is the fastest way to paint.
Trimming first means that you have to trim everywhere and for at least a couple of inches because you don't know how close you will be able to get with the roller.
Also if you trim first , by the time you go to role the trim paint is dry and where the roller overlaps the trim paint you will get more paint and it could show, it is a lot easier to feather the trim paint with a brush on the rolled paint than to feather the paint with a roller on a couple of inches of trim paint.


And heres me with 25 years painting experience............if you think fast is better than good then yes its faster, like laying bricks with no bond too :lol:
gliffaes
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby sirineou » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 pm

gliffaes wrote:
sirineou wrote:Hey guys , sorry to spoil the let's make fun of the Thais and the way they work party,
But rolling first and then trimming what you missed with the roller, is the fastest way to paint.
Trimming first means that you have to trim everywhere and for at least a couple of inches because you don't know how close you will be able to get with the roller.
Also if you trim first , by the time you go to role the trim paint is dry and where the roller overlaps the trim paint you will get more paint and it could show, it is a lot easier to feather the trim paint with a brush on the rolled paint than to feather the paint with a roller on a couple of inches of trim paint.


And heres me with 25 years painting experience............if you think fast is better than good then yes its faster, like laying bricks with no bond too :lol:

I am not a brick layer so I have no opinion on "no bond" but I do have 43 years of experience in the subject of painting.
I don't think fast is better than good, I think fast is better than slow , especially if you are paying by the day :lol: :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby splitlid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm

when i was young in the UK, i was always taught cut in first and roll after, however, recently in Aus the norm now seems to be the opposite as, like Sirineou states, its all about speed/money rather than quality.
:(
splitlid
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I know before i say this Thais being resourcful as they are will find a way :wink:
But it is pretty dificult to screw up a coat of emulsion other than coating all your posesions at the same time or at least the doors windows tiles when i painted the mil house (wooden = blocks render the two so called painters thought nothing of paint over runs onto frames ect i gave them dust sheets even laid them when they reached the end of the dust sheet they carried on painting without getting the tiles as well i ended up following them doing the cutting in myself and making them scrub the timber with a green scourer But they had nothing on the idiot who painted the new house we replaced the front wall timbers on the upstairs and partial sides nice new expensive shiplap hardwood came back from shopping imagine my suprise to find it painted with pink emulsion :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i really did want to kill him that day i agree with cutting in afterwards - its easier
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby sirineou » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:48 pm

splitlid wrote:when i was young in the UK, i was always taught cut in first and roll after, however, recently in Aus the norm now seems to be the opposite as, like Sirineou states, its all about speed/money rather than quality.
:(

In some applications, such as first coats, it is not only faster, but increases the quality of the finish.
I don't want to hijack this thread with my painting opinion,If we split this subject to a painting thread, I would be happy to expand my opinion.
From what I see. for the amount of money being spend, they are doing a great job.
Sometimewoodworker should be proud of the work, and of himself for doing this for his wife's GM :)
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:32 am

sirineou wrote:
splitlid wrote:when i was young in the UK, i was always taught cut in first and roll after, however, recently in Aus the norm now seems to be the opposite as, like Sirineou states, its all about speed/money rather than quality.
:(

In some applications, such as first coats, it is not only faster, but increases the quality of the finish.
I don't want to hijack this thread with my painting opinion,If we split this subject to a painting thread, I would be happy to expand my opinion.
From what I see. for the amount of money being spend, they are doing a great job.
Sometimewoodworker should be proud of the work, and of himself for doing this for his wife's GM :)

First a correction. It is SWMBO's almost all the way. My input was to get Cepac concrete for the ring beam, buy a single wheel wheelbarrow, act as her driver to buy materials, and loan the cash for the build. So quedos is due to Nui. I'm only putting up her photos :?

Secondly I'm happy for you to expand on the subject of painting. My preference is to use paint pads so although they may be slightly slower than rolling there is no need to cut in as a separate process. :D Discuss. :D
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby sirineou » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:27 am

[quote="Sometimewoodworker"
First a correction. It is SWMBO's almost all the way. My input was to get Cepac concrete for the ring beam, buy a single wheel wheelbarrow, act as her driver to buy materials, and loan the cash for the build. So quedos is due to Nui. I'm only putting up her photos :?

Secondly I'm happy for you to expand on the subject of painting. My preference is to use paint pads so although they may be slightly slower than rolling there is no need to cut in as a separate process. :D Discuss. :D

You are being modest and not giving your self the credit you deserve, You are being supportive of your wife and in the processes you are making her and an old lady happy. It is nice to see people doing and thinking for others.
Lot's of good Karma for your self there :D
As far as painting is concerned, I personally don't like the pads , the time you might save trimming you waste by being unproductive, and they are not very good on rough surfaces such as render walls.
What I like are these thin 4"-6" X 1/2 inch thick rollers,in combination with the large paint rollers.You know, the ones that have fabric on the end,
they hold a lot of paint, are great for rough surfaces, , good for confined areas,, because they are so thin great for getting in to corners and under things. If you are doing the ceilings and walls the same color , with these little rollers you don't need to trim the corners.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby unclezillion » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:51 pm

I have used pads every opportunity possible and always found them to be a far less messy exercise than a roller for me :lol: When it comes to prep and painting I have very little patience. :roll:
User avatar
unclezillion
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm

sirineou wrote:As far as painting is concerned, I personally don't like the pads , the time you might save trimming you waste by being unproductive, and they are not very good on rough surfaces such as render walls.
What I like are these thin 4"-6" X 1/2 inch thick rollers,in combination with the large paint rollers.You know, the ones that have fabric on the end,
they hold a lot of paint, are great for rough surfaces, , good for confined areas,, because they are so thin great for getting in to corners and under things. If you are doing the ceilings and walls the same color , with these little rollers you don't need to trim the corners.


I find that rollers are messy as unless I go slowly they flick paint off in all directions.

I also find that pads are good for rough surfaces like rendered walls. I can also get a more even finish with them and seldom get runs.

However I am now going to start trying spraying which should be even better.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest