Grand mum's New house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Grand mum's New house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 pm

SWMBO did not learn from the Sunshade.
She decided to build for her Grandmother but now halfway into the build has decided that she isn't going to manage the build when we build our house. The problem she has found is that she tells the workers what she wants, then they do what they want. She can't insist as they are local to the village

Builders model.

More later

All pics at http://meekings.selfip.com/nui/Groups-of-photos/Non_Sa-At/Pages/Grandmums_House.html
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Grand mum's New house

Postby sirineou » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I had the same problem when I was building my Perimeter wall,Wife did not want to upset the workers as they were from the village and she had to live with long after the project was done.
A difficult subject to handle, If you don't hire the locals they will resent it, but if you do, you have to be careful how you talk to them.

I like you builders Model, a lot of work went in to it, Perhapse you can use it to house chickens :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:49 pm

A normal problem unfortunately i got some belief in the wife by having her stand next to me when i issued instructions and assure them all instructions were from me faliure to follow instructions may well end with them going home and no salary she also dealt with all salary,s so they understood not to pee her off
Pleased you labeled the model i thought you had made a very very smal house ?
A bit of cladding and you could give the dog somewhere to live Are you going to be here for the build? i seem to recall you are hong kong or somewhere ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:42 pm

geordie wrote:A normal problem unfortunately i got some belief in the wife by having her stand next to me when i issued instructions and assure them all instructions were from me faliure to follow instructions may well end with them going home and no salary she also dealt with all salary,s so they understood not to pee her off
Pleased you labeled the model i thought you had made a very very smal house ?
A bit of cladding and you could give the dog somewhere to live Are you going to be here for the build? i seem to recall you are hong kong or somewhere ?

I am back in Tokyo now
I am not/was not involved in the house build except for a very few things. I was told that if I was the workers would probably quit. So SWMBO is doing it almost all herself. The only things I have influenced is getting Cepac in for the house ring beam and watching them do a proper slump test, and buying a concrete vibrator (which got used) and a second wheelbarrow that SWMBO didn't want me to get but is now happy to have.

What I was doing was some fun woodwork, making a table.

And modifications to my workbench
Sometimewoodworker

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 pm

if my "toys" make it through i have a couple of nice lathe,s :wink: bits all over the container but they are in there i used to love woodwork/woodturning woodcarving at school got the toys but never had the time to have a serious play maybe one day soon ? even found a second hand toolshop with a couple of nice bit in there but too early to get more stuff i have storage problems already
geordie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:41 pm

geordie wrote:if my "toys" make it through i have a couple of nice lathe,s :wink: bits all over the container but they are in there i used to love woodwork/woodturning woodcarving at school got the toys but never had the time to have a serious play maybe one day soon ? even found a second hand toolshop with a couple of nice bit in there but too early to get more stuff i have storage problems already

Where did you find the second hand toolshop?

A fun place to spend some time before you build is Wood Street Pracharat Sai1 Soy 24 . Also the Pan Far area near the Golden Mount
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:43 am

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand most abbreviations. What if I may ask is SWMBO? I know it refers to the lady wife, but why the initials?
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 am

fredlk wrote:Maybe it's just me but I don't understand most abbreviations. What if I may ask is SWMBO? I know it refers to the lady wife, but why the initials?

Which explains your problems with women. :lol:
SWMBO is "She Who Must Be Obeyed "
sirineou

Postby payebacs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 am

fredlk wrote:Maybe it's just me but I don't understand most abbreviations. What if I may ask is SWMBO? I know it refers to the lady wife, but why the initials?
Where's your head at Fred. She was married before once.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:09 am

sirineou wrote:

I've been sms-ing as one of the first since early 1995 but I have never understood abbreviations. I'm a what-you-see-is-what-you-get person. Having been in IT all my life I got to understand WYSIWYG even though it took me maybe 10 years to understand what IT meant. :lol: Would you believe that I recently received a pm from a member citing the TGF and I had to sit down and think really really hard before I got what he meant. You see I have never hung around bars so that might be part of the problem and in Thailand my friends until recently have almost solely been Thai and they don't use many abbreviations apart from BTS, MRT, JJ, etc.
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:38 am

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote:

I've been sms-ing as one of the first since early 1995 but I have never understood abbreviations. I'm a what-you-see-is-what-you-get person. Having been in IT all my life I got to understand WYSIWYG even though it took me maybe 10 years to understand what IT meant. :lol: Would you believe that I recently received a pm from a member citing the TGF and I had to sit down and think really really hard before I got what he meant. You see I have never hung around bars so that might be part of the problem and in Thailand my friends until recently have almost solely been Thai and they don't use many abbreviations apart from BTS, MRT, JJ, etc.

Yea... but this one is an important one Fredlk. Men I don't know how you stayed alive so long with both of your cojones intact. They are intact right? :lol:
Rule number one , bow your head slightly an say "Yes honey I understand" ,
understanding is not required, in fact it might even be counterproductive. The trick is to fake sincerity.

Take it from a man who grew up with three sisters, and currently has a daughter, and ex-wife, a current wife, and both his cojones more or less intact :lol:
PS: Fredlk, I hope I got a chuckle out of you, feel free to remove this post reply, definetly not on topic :)
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:25 am

sirineou wrote:I hope I got a chuckle out of you

:D
fredlk

Re: Grand mum's New house (SWMBO)

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:37 am

The acronym SWMBO comes from H. Rider Haggard's book "She" The subject of the book is Ayesha - the title character of the novel, called Hiya by the native Amahagger, or "She". Ayesha was born over 2,000 years ago amongst the Arabs, mastering the lore of the ancients and becoming a great sorceress. Learning of the Pillar of Life in the African interior, she journeyed to the ruined kingdom of Kôr, feigning friendship with a hermit who was the keeper of the Flame that granted immortality. She bathed in the Pillar of Life's fire.l 

She is one of the classics of imaginative literature, and with over 83 million copies sold in 44 different languages, one of the best-selling books of all time

You can get a copy at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3155
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Grand mum's New house (SWMBO)

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:53 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The acronym SWMBO comes from H. Rider Haggard's book "She"

Yeah, yeah saw the movie with the amazing Ursula Andress who was so bad that her entire career went tits up after that. Maybe I was asleep when they used the abbreviations.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
geordie wrote:if my "toys" make it through i have a couple of nice lathe,s :wink: bits all over the container but they are in there i used to love woodwork/woodturning woodcarving at school got the toys but never had the time to have a serious play maybe one day soon ? even found a second hand toolshop with a couple of nice bit in there but too early to get more stuff i have storage problems already

Where did you find the second hand toolshop?

A fun place to spend some time before you build is Wood Street Pracharat Sai1 Soy 24 . Also the Pan Far area near the Golden Mount

:D :D Thanks the place i found was on its own a lot of crap in there but a few useful bits as well i unfortunately use sat nav for every journey so road names /? but its near future park Rangsit from future park you follow Rangsit university you will pass Makro then a large temple its along there
The same road is dedicated to lots of woodwork/cabinet making its a looong looong road though i will get the name and a better location (i use that route regular
geordie

Next

Return to Your Building Story