A garden Sun shade

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

A garden Sun shade

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

SWMBO decided she wanted a place to :) relax during the hotter part of the day. I decided that it would be a good chance to try out a few concepts for our future house build.

SWMBO decided on precast posts that were a little over engineered :roll:

I wanted a 2 step round base and we both wanted hammock attachments

When I got to Thailand the iPad was useful in showing our builders what I wanted.

I thought that 10cm of concrete with reinforcement would be a good enough base.
Plastic under and round the bottom of the base, with concrete blocks as a formwork.

Did I get the idea over? :shock: Not quite :D

Very neatly folded but not up the side :)

Concrete a bit too deep but OK

But then they filled all the holes to the top of the blocks before adding rebar. No problem they said they just lifted the blocks up

Then to make me happy!!! they fitted the rebar reversed with the locking curved edges down.

Bless them they did try hard and as a result created hard work for themselves

They found it really hard to position the posts as the base pushed the rebar down in the centre.

I will continue the story later
Sometimewoodworker

Re: A garden Sun shade

Postby sirineou » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks for sharing, Good work so far, looks nice and strong. I was thinking of building something like that between my sister in-law house and our house when we build it, so I will be following with great interest.
I have the same type of precast columns that were left in our property by the previous owners, and I saved them for later use, for the same purpose as you..
I like your IPad pictures, have you thought of printing and framing them, very artistic, nice colors :D
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 am

Looks like a storm proof rest area you gonna build there...

As you mentioned the alignment of the precast posts was a challange, here how it was done on our carport:

First poored, inside the digged hole, a slab 15 - 20 cm with rebar same as in your case.
Outside the zone where the post would stand a few connecting rebars were inserted.
After that it was easy to set up the posts and align them.
At the end another approx. 20cm conrete...

Our Thais told me that is the way they do it and I just let them do as it was only for the carport.
Finally I believe this would be strong enough for a house as well.

Anyway, let the photos coming and keep building! :wink:
Maseratimartin

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 am

Did I say that the posts were over engineered :roll: Well maybe be just a bit

I did say that there were problems getting them in the correct position both vertically and horizontally because the rebar was put in face down. Also the bed of concrete that was 30cm instead of 5 to 10cm. The workers said that they mixed a lot more concrete than they expected :lol: it was also a lot more than I intended. Communication problems :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also to make things a little more fun the base of the columns flair at the bottom and it is just a little bigger than the diameter of the base concrete pipe which bade positioning the base pipe more fun

It's fun, fun, fun, all the time :roll:

To be continued.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Looks like a storm proof rest area you gonna build there...

As you mentioned the alignment of the precast posts was a challange, here how it was done on our carport:

First poored, inside the digged hole, a slab 15 - 20 cm with rebar same as in your case.
Outside the zone where the post would stand a few connecting rebars were inserted.
After that it was easy to set up the posts and align them.
At the end another approx. 20cm conrete...

Our Thais told me that is the way they do it and I just let them do as it was only for the carport.
Finally I believe this would be strong enough for a house as well.

Anyway, let the photos coming and keep building! :wink:

Because of the base pipe that system could not work in my case. :cry:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby brianks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 am

From my observation of the proper footings being put in for houses I have some questions and see some problems. What is the tarp at the bottom of the hole for? Why would you want to put a separation between the cement and soil? Your footing is in layers with nothing (like rebar) to tie the layers together. HUH? All Footings I have seen have rebar platform on bottom and vertical rebar tied to it BEFORE cement is poured for footing in one pour. This just seems to me like a lot of extra work that will not yield strong results---though the project certainly is not going to be stressed a lot anyway.
brianks

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:31 pm

brianks wrote:From my observation of the proper footings being put in for houses I have some questions and see some problems. What is the tarp at the bottom of the hole for?

To reduce the speed of water being extracted from the concrete to allow it to cure at a correct speed.

Why would you want to put a separation between the cement and soil?
See above
Your footing is in layers with nothing (like rebar) to tie the layers together. HUH?
I tell them what I want, they do what they want :lol:
All Footings I have seen have rebar platform on bottom and vertical rebar tied to it BEFORE cement is poured for footing in one pour.
That is a system designed for columns poured in place and the rebar should be raised at least 2.5cm off the earth. It very often is not so permitting concrete rot and severely reducing the life of the building And it is not universal anyway
footing.jpg
footing
as you can see[ quote] This just seems to me like a lot of extra work that will not yield strong results---though the project certainly is not going to be stressed a lot anyway.[/quote] With precast columns there is no way to keep the rebar the minimum distance from the earth unless you put in a thin concrete base first. as I said in my post that is what i wanted but the workers decided on 30cm :lol:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Post off load

1 post 4 strong people
Post Carry

Getting the post into place
Post Lift

The fun that can be had when the workers do their best to correct a mistake
Post positioning

Concrete or soup :P
Usual sloppy cement
Sometimewoodworker

Postby sezze » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 am

This is not a littlebit overdesigned ...
Many houses don't have a base that strong . It will hold a more then 9 earthquake or a car on top without any problem . Sure , it all isn't too expensive , but it is a few 1000 more then what's needed and still be mighty strong .
sezze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:44 am

3 of the 4 posts ready for the cement

Soup (concrete) for the posts

Getting the correct position before adding concrete.

Filling the lower pipe.

And the base

Then fill with earth.

To be continued.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby rsokolowski » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Great looking start, I look forward to seeing the completed project.
rsokolowski

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 pm

The next step in the process is go and check out the new supplier in Khon Kaen on the opening day. Result Do-Home (Ubon Watsadu) http://www.dohome.co.th has mostly better prices. So 30+k later we are coming back with among other stuff the Sherawood floor.

Next day we take a look and the 2nd stage pipe has been put in place. the hammock points have been undercoated and one of the workers has cleaned off his brush in the new concrete where it slopes up to the square post. It just happens to be a perfect colour match for the upper pipe so I get them to paint all 4. I don't know if it will last but it is cheep to try.

While we were in KK our welder (great guy we will use him again when we build our house, but none of the others) has tack welded the base steel for the floor and some of the roof steel. The floor has no attachment points just gravity.

TBC

On a side note he is someone who will do the job right even though he gets no more money (its a fixed price labor agreement) and will hold up the other workers to do it. An example is that by the spec sheet our floor needed only 3 supports. But when we got the first plank down it seemed too flexible so he got us to add 2 more.

He is someone who takes pride in his work so I am happy to support that. An example is I bought a welding mask for myself that auto darkens for 3k baht and when I was not using it I lent it to him He that he is the only one that I will lend some of my good equipment to. And he does understand that if he breaks it he has bought it. He happly listens to my ideas and I do to his.

After 20 years as a welder he is still happy to get new information and change if there is a better way. :shock:

As a teacher I don't try to be popular (that's not my job) so I am pleasantly surprised when I find that I'm liked by some (many?) of my students. In this case I was very surprised to find out that he likes me :shock: and will be happy to work for me again. Not surprisingly the others don't want me to be in charge of another project they work on.

Sometimewoodworker

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:46 pm

That will be a nice sala when finished. What are you planning to use for flooring and roofing?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:50 pm

elgato wrote:That will be a nice sala when finished. What are you planning to use for flooring and roofing?
That is to be revealed soon :) Though the floor was revealed in an earlier pic :?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm

More tack welding of the floor supports.

Then there is a holdup as SWMBO decided she wanted some concrete steps down to the water of her pool.

More Soup :lol: :lol: (local mixed concrete) :lol: :lol:

But the roof steel is complete enough to get the roof material.

TBC
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to Your Building Story