oor hoose build in Minburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

oor hoose build in Minburi

Postby saorsa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Land bought and paid for now. No hassles at the land office. Went with the mrs and the lawyer for the golf course which we are buying the building plot from and got everything done in 2hrs. I had to sign the form saying I have no hold over the land and the rest was done by the mrs and the golf club lawyer. 335TW in a development which is part of a golf course with 24hrs security which will be nice for when I'm overseas working and the mrs at home. The plan is to build a single storey house with a pool, separate maid's house and a garage/workshop for me to keep my motorbikes.

Next stage is the fill dirt and architect drawings (plus save some more money up after blowing my savings on the land). It is my friend's father who will be building the house as he has been building houses and resorts for 40 years. I've been using Sweet Home 3D which is an open source program to play about with the ideas I have in my head, then I will take these to an architect my friend knows to take my ideas and make sure they are workable, then create proper drawings and get them cleared with the govt. As it is part of the golf course, we also have to have the plans approved by the golf course before we can start building. More story to follow when we get started.....

land.jpg
saorsa

Re: oor hoose build in Minburi

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:19 pm

saorsa wrote:Land bought and paid for now. No hassles at the land office. Went with the mrs and the lawyer for the golf course which we are buying the building plot from and got everything done in 2hrs. I had to sign the form saying I have no hold over the land and the rest was done by the mrs and the golf club lawyer. 335TW in a development which is part of a golf course with 24hrs security which will be nice for when I'm overseas working and the mrs at home. The plan is to build a single storey house with a pool, separate maid's house and a garage/workshop for me to keep my motorbikes.

Next stage is the fill dirt and architect drawings (plus save some more money up after blowing my savings on the land). It is my friend's father who will be building the house as he has been building houses and resorts for 40 years. I've been using Sweet Home 3D which is an open source program to play about with the ideas I have in my head, then I will take these to an architect my friend knows to take my ideas and make sure they are workable, then create proper drawings and get them cleared with the govt. As it is part of the golf course, we also have to have the plans approved by the golf course before we can start building. More story to follow when we get started.....

land.jpg

Congratulations.

You appear to be well set up with plans and contractor so let's hope you have an easy ride ... we look forward to hearing all about it and the pics [of course!] as it all progresses.

Motorbikes ... tell us more.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby saorsa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 pm

MGV12 wrote:Motorbikes ... tell us more.

I have a Harley Night train just now, but there is an offroad track nearby where we are building, so will get a dirt bike to play there, then I plan to build a street fighter from a jap sports 1000 and maybe a little sporty flat tracker to make the stable complete :)

Below are a couple of renders of the idea I am working on for the house. I haven't managed to rotate the buildings to match the land with this program, but when building everything will be rotated anti-clockwise about 15degrees to fit the plot better.

b58 render1.jpg
b58 render 2.jpg
saorsa

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Nice layouts looks good
on the bike,s front i had a vmax what a machine that was for Adrenilin ? might save you building one ? or you could start with one of those as a donor a couple of braces on the frame ? stop it twisting some new forks apparently the reason they did not have good brakes is the forks were in danger of snapping wicked good fun though ?
Have you considered buiding with a void under the floor rather than fill it all ? it could save you a good few baht just build as you are to floor levels then raise the dirt as required in between the buildings normally its a costs based decision in your case the cost might work out favourable because of the large area covered by buildings + the spoil from the pool ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby saorsa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:04 pm

geordie wrote:Nice layouts looks good
on the bike,s front i had a vmax what a machine that was for Adrenilin ? might save you building one ? or you could start with one of those as a donor a couple of braces on the frame ? stop it twisting some new forks apparently the reason they did not have good brakes is the forks were in danger of snapping wicked good fun though ?
Have you considered buiding with a void under the floor rather than fill it all ? it could save you a good few baht just build as you are to floor levels then raise the dirt as required in between the buildings normally its a costs based decision in your case the cost might work out favourable because of the large area covered by buildings + the spoil from the pool ?

Geordie, I've ridden a couple of the old style V-Maxs...definitely good fun in straight lines, scary as hell on corners though with the bendy frame and spindly forks. I fancy something modern though which i will scrap all the plastic, etc. Will be a nice balance to have something like that plus the harley.

I do indeed want to have a void under the house of about 0.5-1.0m , for one thing to raise it up and if practical put all the plumbing underneath. I also like the idea of having a level change of maybe 2 normal steps between the open plan living area and the other wing which has study, bedrooms and 1 room with no windows which I want to sound proof to make into a studio at some point. Not sure how the level change will work with the patio/pool area though...may look a bit strange.
saorsa

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 pm

I was wondering why the house is set at such angle to the property, making the opposite corners oh the house so close to the property line?
I cant tell what the dimensions are, and if they are adequate, but I know some areas have a minimum 2 m sideline requirement, and that might include the roof overhung.
as far as the plumbing is concerned, you might need a cavity only in the area where the plumbing is located and not under the whole house.
Very nice design, I look forward to seeing it all works out.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby saorsa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:44 pm

sirineou wrote:I was wondering why the house is set at such angle to the property, making the opposite corners oh the house so close to the property line?
I cant tell what the dimensions are, and if they are adequate, but I know some areas have a minimum 2 m sideline requirement, and that might include the roof overhung.
as far as the plumbing is concerned, you might need a cavity only in the area where the plumbing is located and not under the whole house.

That is because I can't rotate the house by the 15 degrees or so required using the design program....it will not be built at that angle. I believe the 2m is for walls with windows, but I may be wrong
saorsa

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:07 pm

saorsa wrote:
sirineou wrote:I was wondering why the house is set at such angle to the property, making the opposite corners oh the house so close to the property line?

That is because I can't rotate the house by the 15 degrees or so required using the design program....it will not be built at that angle. I believe the 2m is for walls with windows, but I may be wrong

You might want to try Google sketch up,it is free, and it allows you to manipulate your model in any way desirable. It is also fun to play with. :D
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:18 pm

If you go for a split level you could lay out the patio/pool area as one level so from one part of the house you have a step down from the other part you step up so splitting the step inside 50/50 wherever you access the patio becomes a maximum 1 step either way having a void will simplify the plumbing but also you could install the pool equipment in there other than the pump might be noisy ? with regard to a soundproof room try and find decent thickness concrete blocks because of the density concrete is the best for soundproofing purposes at least you are not tied to the usual4x4 grid because of no second floor the roof steels can be made as trusses to span across but check on maximum length for the floor planks they use they may be limited meaning you will have to add extra beams for to sit them on as a 4x4 grid
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 am

geordie wrote:with regard to a soundproof room try and find decent thickness concrete blocks because of the density concrete is the best for soundproofing purposes

I believe ACC block would give superior results for both sound and insulation,

Autoclaved Aerated Concrete - Material Advantages - Sound

• Effective protection against noise pollution
• NRC 0.15 without additional materials
• Sound insulation is 7dB greater than other building materials of same weight

AAC, a porous concrete material, provides a sound insulation value of 7dB greater than other building materials of the same weight. AAC's high surface mass coupled with the mechanical vibration energy damping within its porous structure produces a construction material with exceptional sound insulation properties.

More at
http://www.mhe-international.com/aac_au ... lation.php
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby saorsa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 am

BKKBILL wrote:I believe ACC block would give superior results for both sound and insulation,

Agreed. I work with ultrasonics and air is a poor conductor of sound, this is why we use couplant gel between probe and test surface to eliminate the air barrier. But, I also think there is more chance to have sound travelling via the roof/ceiling rather than the walls no matter which blocks I use.
saorsa

Postby saorsa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 am

geordie wrote:If you go for a split level you could lay out the patio/pool area as one level so from one part of the house you have a step down from the other part you step up so splitting the step inside 50/50 wherever you access the patio becomes a maximum 1 step either way having a void will simplify the plumbing but also you could install the pool equipment in there other than the pump might be noisy ? with regard to a soundproof room try and find decent thickness concrete blocks because of the density concrete is the best for soundproofing purposes at least you are not tied to the usual4x4 grid because of no second floor the roof steels can be made as trusses to span across but check on maximum length for the floor planks they use they may be limited meaning you will have to add extra beams for to sit them on as a 4x4 grid

That's an option to think about regarding the split level. I prefer to hav a pool pump house at the far end of the pool. I'm also considering putting the main water pump for the house there along with an underground water tank. Still thinking about what to do for hot water. I don't like electric showers as I have never used one that gave good pressure. I was thinking to have a gas water heater that pumps to all sinks/showers like you would get in UK. Maybe someone can tell me if it is feasible to put this in the same pump house as the pool stuff. If not, then I thought to put it along one side of the house. I plan to have a gas hob with the gas bottle stored in a small covered enclosure along the wall where the kitchen is so the water heater could be in that area also.
saorsa

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am

If you are looking for longer spans PPC has a good site giving information on hollow core slabs to a maximum of seven meters for the 120x1200 size. Solid planks up to 4 M.

More info at

http://pccnew.pcc-concrete.co.th/index. ... -core-slab

Using precast planks are cost effective and lets you have an air space under flooring for cooling. I used the hollow core on my build with good results.

As sirineou mentioned Google sketch up will let you draw your build to scale. Youtube has videos to help with the learning curve.

Here is a site to wet your feet.

http://www.brighthub.com/internet/googl ... 12038.aspx
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 am

BKKBILL wrote: • Sound insulation is 7dB greater than other building materials of same weight

AAC, a porous concrete material, provides a sound insulation value of 7dB greater than other building materials of the same weight

slippery advertising they do not compare with concrete because its not the same weight this one came up in discusion a couple of years ago but an indication is concrete was the specified material for "party walls" on ajoining propertie,s AAC is now allowed but the blocks are 11" and have plasterboard both sides
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:36 am

saorsa wrote:I do indeed want to have a void under the house of about 0.5-1.0m , for one thing to raise it up and if practical put all the plumbing underneath.

I have a similar build to your planed one and I also wanted to have the house elevated so I could get at the plumbing but as the ground beams are 40 cm high I would of needed to raise the house by about 1.5 meter and in my house location it would mean that I would be looking over my 2 meter high wall into the neighbours house, in the end I raised it 60 cm and all the floors except the bathrooms are cast onto precast concrete planks. The bathrooms were back filled with soil after the plumbing was done and then the floor cast. If you look at my build in Huay Yai in building story you can see how it turned out.

Good luck with the build

PP
pattayapope

Next

Return to Your Building Story