cow dung in fish pond

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

cow dung in fish pond

Postby goldape » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi members,
I`m Quite new here .My name is eric from UK ,live at the moment in germany and will be moving shortly to korat.next week we are coming over for three months and have started to build .
I have read alot of the forum both english and german.there are some very interesting themes and advice.but up to now I have not found much on here about fish ponds.Well to get to the point ,we had a fish pond dug out and used the earth as part of the filling for the foundation .The hole (12 x 8 Meters)soon filled with water because fo a good underground stream.in rainy season its about 2.5 meters deep dry season about 1.5mtrs.the water is a milky color I think its cause of the clay that the water passed through .anyway we introduced 200 tilapia fry two months ago.up till now only one floater(dead one) so I guess they are ok, frogs and tadpoles also seem to be thriving.
OK here`s my question.Has anyone ever heard about putting cow dung into the water to clear it??? it sounds a bit daft to me but my stepdaughter has put a load in and says it will clear it.that was 2 days ago and up to now no floaters.
Well thats it for now,I would love to hear what you members think or maybe those living over there could ask a few farmers or something .I will keep you guys posted if it works or not .bye for now,
Eric(goldape)
goldape

Re: cow dung in fish pond

Postby pattayapope » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Goldape welcome to the forum I have not heard of cow dung before but I guess you are already committed so keep us posted. I have tried alum and gypsum with some limited success in my pond, Google is always your friend maybe I will take a look and see[*] :roll:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:42 pm

goldape wrote:I have read alot of the forum both english and german.

I've been a member for many years and I have yet to come across a German section of the forum. Where would this be?
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:02 pm

I remember reading some place , something about cow manure in ponds for cleaning, something to do with the high content of straw in the cow manure . Personally I find it counter intuitive, as I believe it would introduce too many Phosphates in to the water and promote algae growth.
But I am no expert in Fish ponds, don't even have one, only a bit of a "know it all" :lol:
Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing how the cow manure solution worked out for you. :)
PS Keep the Cows out of the pond as they tend to get in to water fights and scare the fish. :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:51 pm

I agree that it's more likely to be the straw than the dung ... as the dung will promote algae growth. All sorts of dung is used to promote algae growth as a food source for fish ... it's also apparently useful to help sealing a pond where the natural soil is not suitable. Farmers often throw in a few bags of chicken poo ... you get a heavy bloom of algae but as the nutrients are used up the algae dies ... falls to the bottom and helps seal the pond .. so they say.

An article I found suggest you simply use hay ... however not really suitable for hot climates!

"One way to clear up muddy water is to scatter twelve bales of hay per hectare around the edges of the pond. The hay will help to settle the mud and can then be removed easily from the pond edges. However, do not use this method in very hot weather, because the hay will begin to decay very quickly and will begin to use up oxygen in the pond water."

Source: http://www.autonopedia.org/garden_and_farm/Livestock/5_Preparing_the_Pond.html this article has some very useful information on setting up and maintaining ponds.

Let us know if you get any interesting responses to the question on TV Eric.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Here's the answer your looking for: http://assamagribusiness.nic.in/Fish11.pdf

MGV12,
I'm surprised you didn't know, after all you bread crap don't you?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:32 pm

MGV12,
Sorry I was laughing too much...that should be breed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Here's the answer your looking for: http://assamagribusiness.nic.in/Fish11.pdf

MGV12,

I have to agree with Roger, When it comes to breeding Crap MGV12 has to be considered the Authority
when ever he posts an opinion, I always think that....
I have never heard a bigger load of crap :lol:
Last edited by sirineou on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirineou

Postby sirineou » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Here's the answer your looking for: http://assamagribusiness.nic.in/Fish11.pdf

MGV12,

I could not find the recipe for " bread Crap",as appetizing as it might sound, so I think it is a misprint and you meant "bread Carp" for which I found this nice recipe http://www.talindasrecipetrade.com/2007/12/breaded-carp-with-german-potato-salad.html
Though I have to admit, that breading Breaded Carp must be a very difficult task, How he gets the little buggers to stand still while breeding,so he sprinkles breadcrumbs on them ( the recommended method for breeding breaded Carp) is beyond me.
Certainly a labor of love :lol:
sirineou

Postby goldape » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:58 pm

fredlk wrote:
goldape wrote:I have read alot of the forum both english and german.

I've been a member for many years and I have yet to come across a German section of the forum. Where would this be?

Fredlk Yes you are right sorry .I copied and pasted my post but forgot to edit .Goldape
goldape

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:48 am

With 'sense of humour' sated maybe spending some of that spare time researching the actual problem would be more rewarding for the OP:

goldape wrote:the water is a milky color I think its cause of the clay that the water passed through ..............
OK here`s my question.Has anyone ever heard about putting cow dung into the water to clear it???

Hopefully your stepdaughter proves to be a genius ... but if the incoming water flows from an underground stream it may just continue to be turbid. Our deep well comes from a similar source and for much of the time the water has very obvious turbidity ... which even the house filter cannot clear due to the microscopic particle size. We have had the water tested and there is no health issue so just live with it and so, before someone suggests it, I don't think I'll be trying cow dung in the filter. :roll:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby unclezillion » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:22 am

i think may of you may have been getting confused with the use of barley straw being used to combat algae blooms :lol:
that along with aeration is used in the UK against blue/green algae :shock:
I would of thought that in a Thai fishpond you do not really need to fertilize unless you do not intend to feed the fish. Whatever you do you must make sure you have some bottom feeders present to eat any mosquito larvae :shock:
unclezillion

Return to Your Building Story