Baan New York - Khok Sung

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Baan New York - Khok Sung

Postby KingKhokSung » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:06 am

Hello,

We purchased 1 1/2 Rai of land in Khok Sung, Thailand which is a village in the province of Sa Kaeo around 25 kilometers from the Aran/Cambodia border.

The land we purchased was around 160k baht. and needed to be cleared and have fill dirt added to it.

We are still choosing what style house we want to build on the property. But most likely it will be a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom bungalow style home.

IMG-20110831-01184.jpg
Land with all the trees still on it

IMG-20110831-01184.jpg
Land with all the trees still on it

IMG-20110831-01191.jpg
The Land even came with a Toilet.. Yummy

eb1f593cb47e58451eb8812b1025b097.jpg
Almost all the Trees Gone

IMG-20110831-01195.jpg
starting to take all the trees out

21105a7e9498e98ecb05871bc872dcd9.jpg
Cleared now and ready for Fill Dirt
Attachments
79b77345912cbf7b5d4c9afcec871e16.jpg
All the Large Trees getting pulled out.
KingKhokSung

Re: Baan New York - Khok Sung

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am

Welcome to the forum ... look forward to seeing your story unfold.

Is this a first time build for you? Any experience in the U.S?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby KingKhokSung » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:25 am

MGV12 wrote:Welcome to the forum ... look forward to seeing your story unfold.

Is this a first time build for you? Any experience in the U.S?

Thank you very much.. This is my 2nd build in Thailand.. I am prepared and ready for almost everything now. Well as prepared as we can all be in Thailand.

Once we decide on the final plan I will post them.

But for now its just the fill dirt, water run off pipes and fence being built.
KingKhokSung

Postby sirineou » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:44 am

Wow, 1 1/2 rai for 160,000 bht,
where I am you can pay as much as 1,000,000 for 1 rai :(
Looks like a nice piece of land too.
Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing what you will build, and how your previous experience will affect your decision making.
will you be acting as your own G.C. or will you be hiring a builder?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby KingKhokSung » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:13 am

So the progress on the land has moved from fill dirt to making a water run off pipe under our driveway.

The only problem as there always is here is we put the drive way in the wrong place.. it needed to be put over to one side more the Monks said.

It was actually pretty cool to have the monks stop by our land when we were making the pipes and let us know that it was not in balance.

So the pics you are seeing is the start of the pipes, 180 baht per pipe, my pipe holder design for the sides (which all the thai Changs thought was amazing) but this is how they do it in America. and the rebuild for the monks.. total cost with labor, drinks, lunches around 6000 baht as it was family who did this part of the build.
Attachments
The Ms... telling Chang. get to work..jpg
The Ms.. cracking the whip... get to work Chang!! ha ha.. Although its Her Grandpa.. so not cracking the whip to much..
Tor in the ground.jpg
The beginning stages of the rain water pipes (Tor) being laid
Tractor finishing off the driveway.jpg
Driveway Tor being covered
Tor Being Buried.jpg
Tor Being Buried by the Tractor
Start of Wall.jpg
This is what the wall looks like before they build.
Brick Retaining Tor Wall.jpg
Chang putting the final touches on the Brick Tor Wall... They were amazed by this idea I came up with... ha ha
Small Tor Brick Wall.jpg
This is the Final Product. Its on Both sides and makes a nice little retaining wall for the Driveway dirt.
Last edited by KingKhokSung on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingKhokSung

Postby KingKhokSung » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:22 am

The fill dirt being put down.. it was 600 baht a truck load.. we filled the ground to 1 meter high. 2500 sq meters to fill. 1 1/2 rai

I do apologize I dont remember how many truck loads were used in the filling the Land.... Alot if im not mistaken.

it was a fun process to watch.... And now that the rain season is here it will be nice to have it compacted down... if it all doesnt wash away before the fence goes up.. ha ha
Attachments
the start of the fill.jpg
The land with NO Fill on it.
Loads and more loads of Din.jpg
Lots of Truck loads of Din on the way
1 of the 266 trucks.jpg
1 of the many trucks of Dirt
2500 sq meters of fill dirt.jpg
2500 sq meters of fill dirt
Almost finished.jpg
I love my Coconut Tree.. except the locals kids keep stealing my coconuts.. NOT for long.. Fence going up
Fill dirt finished.jpg
266 truck loads and the land is raised by 1 meter
KingKhokSung

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:25 am

Hi and nice to see somebody in Sakeaw area!

We are in Kaosamsib reservoir....that's 6km from Sakeaw direction Khao Chakan (down to Chanta Buri).
Some nice piece of land and to a good price!
In our village they call now for approx. 350000 per rai directly at main road...second row then only 80000...

Good luck with your build and maybe we see us one day..
Maseratimartin

Postby KingKhokSung » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 pm

sirineou wrote:Wow, 1 1/2 rai for 160,000 bht,
where I am you can pay as much as 1,000,000 for 1 rai :(
Looks like a nice piece of land too.
Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing what you will build, and how your previous experience will affect your decision making.
will you be acting as your own G.C. or will you be hiring a builder?

Hey Sirineou,

Yeah we got lucky on this piece of land.. It came up for sale and we jumped on the price within the hour... I was offered 500,000 for the land 3 months ago which was a tempting offer....But I decided a home for myself, Fiance and daughter is more important! We love were we are located as the make shift food market is 20 yds away and parents house is 2 blocks away.. So everything is very easy to get to .

as for builder... we have a good builder in mind who has built some nice houses around.. And I will do everything in my power to be on site for the majority of the build... I am in the process of saving up the money for the build... Or we might even build it in stages...
KingKhokSung

Postby KingKhokSung » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 pm

we decided before we did anything else that we wanted to build a little Sala/storage unit on the property.. So the in laws helped us build the unit.

It will be nice to have for us to get out of the sun when the build is going on. And we can use it as a temporary storage shed for some of the items.

The unit cost around 8000 baht and is around 4x8 meters... its a nice little unit to hang out under when the sun is shining. And a great place for the staff to relax when the are on their break.. Which in Thailand is every 25 minutes.. ha ha
Attachments
IMG-20120217-00939.jpg
First Poles going up.
IMG-20120220-00945.jpg
Wood all in place just need to Palm Leaves.
IMG-20120220-00947.jpg
Halfway finished with Sala..
IMG-20120220-00952.jpg
Looking good. Sala finished
Store 3.jpg
Final Product Finished.. Looks like a nice place to relax.
Store 4.jpg
Finished Sala/Storage shed. Dirt is pushed up next to it getting ready for Fence install
KingKhokSung

Postby KingKhokSung » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:Hi and nice to see somebody in Sakeaw area!

We are in Kaosamsib reservoir....that's 6km from Sakeaw direction Khao Chakan (down to Chanta Buri).
In our village they call now for approx. 350000 per rai directly at main road...second row then only 80000...

Yes you are pretty close.. Maybe we can meet up for a cold one sometime. I will be back in Thailand in September for 3 to 4 months.
KingKhokSung

Postby KingKhokSung » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 pm

It has been a few months since we added the fill to the land and built the Storage/Sabai sala on the land.. The land has over grown with
weeds and every other type of vegetation you can imagine. So we purchased some of the weed killer and went to town spraying the land to kill all the weeds on the land to get prepared for our fence to be built.
Attachments
overgrowth 1.jpg
Full land view with tons of weeds
Over growth.jpg
Some serious weeds grew over the last few months.
sprayed .jpg
Weeds dying quickly
Sprayed 1.jpg
Weeds sprayed and land looking good again
KingKhokSung

Postby KingKhokSung » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 pm

its time to build the fence and now everyone is caught up with the building story. We are now in the process of building the fence as I type this blog. our fence is going to be around 147meters in size 2 meters high with shera wood front and normal fence around the other 3 walls.. We have not decided yet on the front gate for the fence. We have a very good team working the fence, but had to wait a month for them to finish their other project before they started.

We have had different quotes from 1900 baht for 1 meter all in, to 2100 baht for 1 meter all in, to 1500 baht for 2.5 meters labor only and we buy the material. After viewing all the walls they have all built I went with the company that does most of the school walls around the village for 1500 baht labor for 2.5 meters. from my calculations it should work out to around 1100 to 1200 baht a meter for everything... labor, materials..

Material Costs are as follows

wire coil - 130 baht a coil - to thai everything together
Big Iron - Long Iron - 160 baht per Line
Small Iron - Long - 50 baht per line
Hook iron - 1 Kilo 45 baht -
Hin or Rocks - 500 baht for 1 cube
Sand for cement - 550 baht 1 cube
Cement - 130 baht for 1 bag
Nails - 750 baht 1 box
Wood for forms - 7000 baht
Bricks - 6 baht a piece as we went with the strong ones.....3000 bricks ordered

so far around 76,0000 spent..

we had to bring in a Macro 2 times at 2000 baht each time to move some of the dirt so they can have access to the land.
Attachments
back fence.jpg
Back and sides of fence will look like this.
Front school fence.jpg
The front of our fence will look like this.. But we will use Shera board not metal.. This is the school fence that our Chang built.
cost sheet 1.jpg
more Totals from Fence build
cost sheet 2.jpg
Totals from fence build
KingKhokSung

Postby KingKhokSung » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 am

The fence build has started off really nice. They have the land cleared and all the metal supports put together.. so they started to dig the holes for the foundations. I wanted and made sure that the dug the foundation holes to 100 cm deep.. or 1 meter.. as you can see they are plenty deep and should make for a very strong foundation... from my past experiences the deeper the foundation holes. The Better!! food for thought for people building fences.

Well that was the plan.... Until as you can see from the pics they dug out the foundations, filled them full of cement and the iron and of course 2 hours later mother nature had to come in and rain cats and dogs and fill up the holes.... this is what you get when you start a fence at the beginning of the rainy season.. so it rained and rained and rained and the next day the Changs had to come back and dig out everything and start from scratch.. Not fun for them but they did it and I was happy about that.
Attachments
1 meter holes.jpg
Nice deep 1 meter foundation holes
cement in the hole.jpg
Cement and Iron in the 1st hole.. Looking good... Until 2 hours later.
finished the 1st one.jpg
1st foundation hole finished with Iron and cement in.
rain in holes.jpg
As you can see it rained cats and dogs.. and what you get is holes filled with water.
rain in hole 1.jpg
Mak Mak Nam in the holes... Not good for your fence.
re dig.jpg
Re digging out the holes and putting new cement in the holes.. Love the rainy season.
redone hole.jpg
Holes re dug out and cement and Iron put in again for the foundations
KingKhokSung

Postby sirineou » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 am

Hi KKS
Nice to see you getting started
Where in NY are you from, I went to High School at Bayside Queens
I just build a perimeter wall in KKC ,
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3288
50 cm for the footings is adequate. but the deeper the better.
I did the same for the picket on my fence using Shera wood and it came pretty nice IMO
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Maseratimartin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 am

KingKhokSung wrote:
Maseratimartin wrote:Hi and nice to see somebody in Sakeaw area!

Yes you are pretty close.. Maybe we can meet up for a cold one sometime. I will be back in Thailand in September for 3 to 4 months.

We will be home in Sakeaw on 29th July and stay till 18th August...then again somewhere around November/ December...

Keep in touch!
Maseratimartin

Next

Return to Your Building Story