Build progressing in Chiang Saen

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Build progressing in Chiang Saen

Postby krobert6 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:35 am

I commenced a build 2 months ago in Chiang Saen overlooking some rice fields and fish farms. I wanted a bungalow style, simple build to get the most bang for the AUD$. I have attached a few shots of the build thus far, comments/questions welcomed.

House is 20 metres by 10 metres - large open plan lounge kitchen at front, 3 bedrooms (2 attached to on-suite bathrooms), one large stydy and a car port
Attachments
s2012-04-11-17.31.18.jpg
to date
s2012-04-09-10.59.30.jpg
roof struts
s2012-03-29-14.53.40.jpg
Pillars/walls
s2012-03-18-15.12.50.jpg
Foundations 2
s2012-03-05-14.08.28.jpg
Foundations
s2012-03-02-14.07.11.jpg
Land cleared
krobert6

Re: Build progressing in Chiang Saen

Postby thailazer » Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Chiang Saen is one of my favorite areas of Thailand. Looks like things are going well and you will have a very livable place there. How many rai are you building on?
thailazer

Postby krobert6 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:48 pm

thailazer wrote:Chiang Saen is one of my favorite areas of Thailand. Looks like things are going well and you will have a very livable place there. How many rai are you building on?

It is great location, Yonok especially, 1 rai with 1000 rai of views
krobert6

Postby krobert6 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 am

One week later and the build continues. I am back in Oz as my wife visits the site daily giving me phone reports.

The entering is complete inside and they have started outside. She says it is beautiful, but her house experience in the past was pretty basic :)
No pictures yet as she cannot figure out the process to send shots from her phone.
krobert6

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat May 05, 2012 7:56 am

krobert6 wrote:One week later and the build continues. I am back in Oz as my wife visits the site daily giving me phone reports.

The entering is complete inside and they have started outside. She says it is beautiful, but her house experience in the past was pretty basic :)
No pictures yet as she cannot figure out the process to send shots from her phone.

International MMS with Thailand origination and Australian termination is highly suspect. There is some issue between with REACH (the international
gateway provider in/out of Oz) and charging for MMS - hence they dont pass through. I think REACH has not figured out a way to charge Thailand mobile
phone providers, and since they cannot charge the terminating account, well they just block it. The best you will do is get a hyperlink to your MMS on a
server somewhere, then you have to http there and have a look. Easiest way, what I do with Bee, is she just pipes it up to facebook from her mobile, into
a private folder we share, then i have a look in there.

Nice views by the way, lots of ponds for fishing.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby krobert6 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 am

I am afraid ( my lady - nickname Bee also :)) has very low computer/mobile skills and will not manage even that . I am hoping the architect will send me some soon.

Yeh, I love the views - but I think the Burmese caretakers of the fish ponds would cut my hands off lol

There is a great sreal before the ponds that I see good sized fish in often though

Thanks for the reply
krobert6

Postby krobert6 » Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 am

Sorry for the lack of updates but there is really nothing to complain about with this build. ( from my side, the builder is complaining that the will not make much though :))

My wife gives me bi-daily reports and I have a chat with the builder.

The render is finished as is the ceiling and they are painting inside and out with quality Beger, tiles are being laid, soil (20 truck loads) is being brought in to start the landscape process.

Still cannot get a photo and await the builder to send to me.

Completion date now 30th, an expected slip of 3 weeks
krobert6

Postby krobert6 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 am

I finally managed to get some shots of the house progression ( rather than just verbal updates from the wife )
Seems to be progressing really well with only 1 week till completion.
She is very excited - as am I
Photo-0440.jpg
Painting the outside in 3 colours
Photo-0449.jpg
Photo-0448.jpg
Kitchin still has a bit of work
Photo-0442.jpg
INside is looking good
Photo-0441.jpg
Photo-0440.jpg
Painting the outside in 3 colours
Attachments
Photo-0453.jpg
krobert6

Postby unclezillion » Sat May 26, 2012 7:54 pm

looking nice but i noticed there was nothing to reflect the heat under the roof tiles. intentional?
Welcome by the way.
unclezillion

Postby krobert6 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:27 pm

unclezillion wrote:looking nice but i noticed there was nothing to reflect the heat under the roof tiles. intentional?
Welcome by the way.

Thanks for the welcome.

I started off wanting to build a small bungalow and my design grew into this large one. I have seen other posts with the reflective material but i did not request it and was not recommended it on this build. A big issue?

My brother was a heating and ventilating draftsman I should have asked him :) though things had to move very quickly to get the build going as I had to return to Australia
krobert6

Postby unclezillion » Mon May 28, 2012 12:50 pm

anything to keep heat out is a good idea in Thailand. Air conditioning will be fine but it will have to work much harder and you may not be able to sit comfortably in an upstairs room without air con due to the heat. You may get away with it more if there is good ventilation for the roof space.
The biggest problem will be direct sunlight on any surface (roof) and if you can keep it off the walls it will be a big help.
unclezillion

Postby krobert6 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:35 pm

There is no upstairs : ) it is a very high roof. No zircon - I do not like the effect. Does that help with the heat ?

I was thinking of putting solar panels across the front subside of the roof - would that help reflect the heat
krobert6

Postby sirineou » Mon May 28, 2012 5:24 pm

krobert6 wrote:There is no upstairs : ) it is a very high roof. No zircon - I do not like the effect. Does that help with the heat ?

I was thinking of putting solar panels across the front subside of the roof - would that help reflect the heat

a High roof is always good for cooling an attic space , and as I see , you have a gable vent,
if you install some soffit vents then as the hot air rises and escapes through the gable vents, a convection cycle is created and cooler air is drawn in from the soffit vents cooling the attic space.
you can always install insulation on the drop ceiling insulating the living areas from the heat of the attic.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby krobert6 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:46 pm

sirineou wrote:
krobert6 wrote:There is no upstairs : ) it is a very high roof. No zircon - I do not like the effect. Does that help with the heat ?

a High roof is always good for cooling an attic space , and as I see , you have a gable vent,
if you install some soffit vents then as the hot air rises and escapes through the gable vents, a convection cycle is created and cooler air is drawn in from the soffit vents cooling the attic space.
you can always install insulation on the drop ceiling insulating the living areas from the heat of the attic.

If the house heat is a problem when it is completed -this sound like a very quick fix. Thanks
krobert6

Return to Your Building Story