Building a Modern Home in Bangkok

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a Modern Home in Bangkok

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:45 pm

newhomepages wrote:For the floor layer I think it was all mixed on site. As for quality, I feel it can be controlled better on-site. Is there any advantage to readymix other than being able to get larger quantities?
-EE

The advantage of using readymix, if you use someone like CePac, is that you can get it correctly mixed. It is rare to get correctly mixed concrete from local shops and even less common to get it right if mixed on site.

Probably you would have to supervise the water addition yourself to have much chance of getting it remotely correct.

If you look at my thread of "Grandmums house" you will see both kinds of delivery.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby gliffaes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
newhomepages wrote:For the floor layer I think it was all mixed on site. As for quality, I feel it can be controlled better on-site. Is there any advantage to readymix other than being able to get larger quantities?
-EE

The advantage of using readymix, if you use someone like CePac, is that you can get it correctly mixed. It is rare to get correctly mixed concrete from local shops and even less common to get it right if mixed on site.

Probably you would have to supervise the water addition yourself to have much chance of getting it remotely correct.

If you look at my thread of "Grandmums house" you will see both kinds of delivery.

and to be double sure use c pac and ask for the strength test they do, this keeps them on their toes also as when one the one occasion I didnt ask I got a delivery of soup!!
gliffaes

Postby newhomepages » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion about C Pac, we will use them if we do readymix. But I still tend to think that mixing on site could get a better quality of concrete if I supervised the mixing in a power mixer of specified cement and aggregate and did slump tests to get the water ratio correct. It would also be fresher. The problem is that the mixer on site is probably not big enough to make it all at one time.

My ultimate plan would be to make the roof deck like a swimming pool, but let it drain. I've seen small pools that are lined with something like a large, thick plastic garbage bag. Maybe too expensive or delicate though.
newhomepages

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm

newhomepages wrote:Thanks for the suggestion about C Pac, we will use them if we do readymix. But I still tend to think that mixing on site could get a better quality of concrete if I supervised the mixing in a power mixer of specified cement and aggregate and did slump tests to get the water ratio correct. It would also be fresher. The problem is that the mixer on site is probably not big enough to make it all at one time.

Unless your need is very small your on-site mixer will probably need to make many batches.

CePac has a mixing to finished delivery window of 180 mins. They time stamp your delivery so you will be sure of the mixing time. If you only need a cube or 2 at a time a mixer on site will be OK. Otherwise readymix (with a slump test) will give you a better and more consistent result.
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to Your Building Story