Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 am

Due to pain forgot to mention electric an water installation, here is the water pipe about 16 inches down, difficult to go deeper with gorund like mine.
Hdpe pipe then covered in sand for 6 inches then the soil.
Electric is a similar depth.
Before u ask its not straight due to big boulders along the way, as in so big the 320 makro couldnt shift them
Attachments
IMAG1559-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:27 am

thats why the pipe is flexible i supose
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Im curious why they need a lintel across the whole of the wall in this shot. Would it not be as good to do a lintel maybe just 18 inches either side of the window as they do in the UK or is it beacsue the blocks arent load bearing .
Also why do I need a full lintel under the window? Just curious
Attachments
IMAG1351-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby sirineou » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:51 pm

A small lintel extending over the sides of the window would probably be ok,especialy since there are only a couple of courses of block over the window,
But.. haaa there is always a but :lol:
the wall would not be as strong supporting horizontal loads, ie it could be more easily be pushed out or in
and if you used a small lintel you will still need to fill the space with something to maintain the even spacing of the block.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm

sirineou wrote:A small lintel extending over the sides of the window would probably be ok,especialy since there are only a couple of courses of block over the window,
But.. haaa there is always a but :lol:
the wall would not be as strong supporting horizontal loads, ie it could be more easily be pushed out or in
and if you used a small lintel you will still need to fill the space with something to maintain the even spacing of the block.

Ah yes BUT the wall is not there to support anything as it s supposed to be non load bearing, the only support the lintel does is to stop blocks above the window squashing it. If there was another storey there would be another beam across the top of that wall again taking the load. The roof steel is supported by the columns.
Also why do we need one again full length under the window??
The sides do have a concrete lintel its just hidden inbetween the blocks and also if i needed a good fastening the blocks really arent very strong for that.
Walls with no windows ( and they are double and tied together) have no lintels so maybe its a case of they only really do this and need this on single block walls to give strength as like you said to stop them being pushed out/in. Single walls are pretty weak
Interesting anyway
gliffaes

Postby sirineou » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Like you said, to stiffen the wall up and prevent lateral movement
,keep in mind that when you have a window in the middle of the wall, it is like having a huge hole in the wall, the window does not provide any structural strength, horizontally, or vertically.
a small lentil will mitigate the vertical strength deficiency , but will do very little in mitigating the horizontal strength deficiency.
Hence the full length lintel.
If I had a full length wall with out a window that was very long and or very high, and was using beeze block such as the one they use in Thailand(very thin) I would still consider using a stiffening horizontal beam in the midle of the wall.
A double cavity wall with straps between the outside wall and inside wall is a different issue.and might not require a sriffening horizontal beam.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby payebacs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:54 am

gliffaes wrote:
payebacs wrote:The house looks great Gliffaes. 450k... :? I'm hoping to build slightly bigger (12 x 6) and for less so probably need to start contemplating exactly where these reductions in price are going to come from. :)

You could use single block walls and bigger overhangs..... personally wouldnt use aac blocks... ask for a slump test.......Roof steel , shop around.....steel colorbond type roof.....do it yourself with workers.....Shop around....Boonthavorn is expensive.....be on site ALL day.......never be afraid to tell them its wrong.

Thanks gliffaes. The roof does seem quite majestic. Just the tiles must set you back a bit. Single block, hard to say. Perhaps save for longer and do it the 7K m2 guideline way. not sure. Is it okay to build in stages ie. foundations, uprights and slab first followed by a year break or will all that sun and rain be too much. If you could build in year-long-gap stages what would those stages be? Roof, walls? Or is it unavoidably better to build all in one?
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:30 pm

payebacs wrote:
gliffaes wrote:
payebacs wrote:The house looks great Gliffaes. 450k... :? I'm hoping to build slightly bigger (12 x 6) and for less so probably need to start contemplating exactly where these reductions in price are going to come from. :)

You could use single block walls and bigger overhangs..... personally wouldnt use aac blocks... ask for a slump test.......Roof steel , shop around.....steel colorbond type roof.....do it yourself with workers.....Shop around....Boonthavorn is expensive.....be on site ALL day.......never be afraid to tell them its wrong.

Thanks gliffaes. The roof does seem quite majestic. Just the tiles must set you back a bit. Single block, hard to say. Perhaps save for longer and do it the 7K m2 guideline way. not sure. Is it okay to build in stages ie. foundations, uprights and slab first followed by a year break or will all that sun and rain be too much. If you could build in year-long-gap stages what would those stages be? Roof, walls? Or is it unavoidably better to build all in one?

I think Id try and do it all at once unless the local labour is readily available. Once you find some half decent blokes you need to keep them.
If I was to split it up id get to the roof stage ie roof on, Id be worried that all manor of life would then move into the roof though such as birds although that cheap green netting fastened up inside would keep em out.
You could do it for less than 7k if you dont hire a builder like I did, however he did supply me with a concrete vibrator, floor power float all timber , makro etc etc so all in al it wasnt too bad a deal.
The roof tiles (I think) well you can choose the cheapest c