Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 pm

geordie wrote:Almost there ?? have you booked your flight now ?
I am not sure the striped carpet in the last picture will last very long though

Rendering as I speak...........well almost hence the blue carpet stuck down to within 1 inch of the wall edges, is my GREATEST idea. At the end of the day the room was chapped I peeled it up took it outside hosed it off ready for the next room tomorrow. The floor under was beautifully clean.
Bedroom now rendered and 1 wall of the living room. 3 blokes at it all day ( 1 learning)
Photos later.
I did the bathroom plumbing myself today as 1 wanted to be sure it was all glued and cleaned etc and 2 dont trust anyone to get the pipes in the wrong final positions especially for the shower mixer............ if its wrong or leaks its MY fault haahahah
I also covered the windows in masking tape and cling film which when the render is dry tomorrow Ill run a sharp knife round...easy peasy!!
A galvanised 1 inch wire mesh was placed on the wall prior to rendering on the concrete lintel areas where it joins the block in case of separation between the two.............if ever
Attachments
IMAG1422-web.jpg
IMAG1423-web.jpg
IMAG1421-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 pm

gliffaes wrote:
geordie wrote:Almost there ?? have you booked your flight now ?
I am not sure the striped carpet in the last picture will last very long though

Rendering as I speak...........well almost hence the blue carpet stuck down to within 1 inch of the wall edges, is my GREATEST idea. At the end of the day the room was chapped I peeled it up took it outside hosed it off ready for the next room tomorrow. The floor under was beautifully clean.
Bedroom now rendered and 1 wall of the living room. 3 blokes at it all day ( 1 learning)
Photos later.
I did the bathroom plumbing myself today as 1 wanted to be sure it was all glued and cleaned etc and 2 dont trust anyone to get the pipes in the wrong final positions especially for the shower mixer............ if its wrong or leaks its MY fault haahahah
I also covered the windows in masking tape and cling film which when the render is dry tomorrow Ill run a sharp knife round...easy peasy!!
A galvanised 1 inch wire mesh was placed on the wall prior to rendering on the concrete lintel areas where it joins the block in case of separation between the two.............if ever

June 24th..............fingers, arms, legs, eyes :shock: , crossed etc
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Sorry not much updating been busy, internal rendering almost done, just the bathroom left to do, externally is being prepped for rendering including the 1 inch wire mesh galvanised for the column to block joints.
I finished all the hot water and cold water pipework today myself , hot uses the pimaflex 3 layers pipe with pushfit connectors lovely and easy to use as long as you remember to put the inserts in the end after cutting. Just bend in your hands to shape.
Geordies rock :lol: ................. we got tired of him reneging on his lack of commitment to collect so we laid it down horizontally and will now bury it, it was a tricky job not removing half of the footings with it but we did get it out without any damage.
I got some HDPE pipe 100 metres of 1 inch my wife negotiated it down from 2800 baht to???????????????? 1600!!! holy smoke!!! :shock:
It will do for both houses
Attachments
house (2).jpg
starting to take shape
house (1).jpg
mesh for corners
house (3).jpg
Geordies last chance now will be buried
house (4).jpg
hot n cold water done
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 pm

All internal rendering finished except one wall in the bathroom.
Todays excitement, no sooner had I told Max how I was amazed nothing had been stolen form site then lo and behold this morning went to turn on the water and some t*at had cut the water pipe and nicked the water meter. Sheesh they must be freakin desperate, worth all of 50 baht secondhand.
Anyway fortunately they had left JUST enough pipe for me to reconnect minus meter so now we have free water
( which is good as we are rendering)............. wonder if I should run the hose to our lake also and leave it on overnight???
Tomorrow is external render day , am hoping for cloud cover, today we started the sh*t pit photos attached, thatll be finished tomorrow 4 rings deep, no shortage of nice hardcore to go round it all as you can see. Ill run a perforated pipe from the second tank to leech out some distance away.
Attachments
IMAG1455 - Copy.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 am

Rendering complete inside and out, ceilings next with electrics all connected up (hopefully) at the same time
Attachments
IMAG1462-web.jpg
IMAG1461-web.jpg
IMAG1460-web.jpg
IMAG1459-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Work progresses, Kitchens bathrooms, bedrooms, all render done, Im dong all the plumbing still, almost finished now.
No one seems to be passing any comments so Im assuming its all perfect?
Attachments
IMAG1492-web.jpg
Kitchen worktops and surround
IMAG1490-web.jpg
Bath sink
IMAG1491-web.jpg
Shelves and rails
IMAG1485-web.jpg
Cupboard wall done shelves in
IMAG1481-web.jpg
Kitchen worktops with 12mm rebar haha
IMAG1484-web.jpg
bed complete just needs mattress dropped in
IMAG1479-web.jpg
bed work
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:22 pm

My plumbing
Attachments
IMAG1493-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:52 pm

gliffaes wrote:No one seems to be passing any comments so Im assuming its all perfect?

Lulling you into a false sense of security I reckon ... keep your guard up.

Is that what they refer to as a soft-edge bed?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Albert Einstein
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Is that bed platform, made out of brick and cement?
I confess, I have never seen that.Is that something that is normally done in Thailand?
Would it not make it impossible to move if later on you did not like the location?
Forgive me, I am not being critical,
because I have never seen that, I am just curious, Why a fixed bed platform?
I assume the how you plan to finish it, comes later on in the Thread
Interesting Idea, look forward to seeing how it comes out. :)
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:06 am

seen the bed idea before ! in a really cheap short time hotel ! wandered in by accident i knew i had done a wrong un when they asked how many hours i needed the room :lol: :lol:

Its a conspiracy we are all plotting to have a do on the main build no point in peeing you off now :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:55 am

sirineou wrote:Is that bed platform, made out of brick and cement?
I confess, I have never seen that.Is that something that is normally done in Thailand?
Would it not make it impossible to move if later on you did not like the location?
Forgive me, I am not being critical,
because I have never seen that, I am just curious, Why a fixed bed platform?
I assume the how you plan to finish it, comes later on in the Thread
Interesting Idea, look forward to seeing how it comes out. :)

In a 3x4 metres room the position for the bed is ermmmmm well at best limited, how many times have you moved your bed in the last 1 2 months.
If the cupboards are on the end wall the choice for the bed is where it is and no other place would be suitable.
You also have to remember this is the maids house and shell sleep where I am damn well tell her :lol: haahahahaha.
Geordie Ive seen this too in the really expensive condo Im in by the sea, not short term. The thing I like about them is they will never break, theyre cheap and Ill put a skirting tile round the base also. All that will ever need changing is the mattress although my wife insists her Sister will sleep on the floor!! Primitive natives I say :lol:
I go back to the UK in 21 days so this last 3 weeks will be frantic, I might leave all painting until Im back as really its a bit too close until after the render was done and it needs to dry thoroughly. Ill be back In October.
Definitely need bathroom finished water and electric on. anything else could wait if necessary .
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 am

MGV12 wrote:
gliffaes wrote:No one seems to be passing any comments so Im assuming its all perfect?

Lulling you into a false sense of security I reckon ... keep your guard up.

Is that what they refer to as a soft-edge bed?

Wahts a soft edge bed?? I got them to round the corners off on all sides when they troweled it over and I will gloss oil paint it with a tile skirting to the floor, mattress will drop in an be about 4 inches higher than in the photo
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:00 am

geordie wrote:seen the bed idea before ! in a really cheap short time hotel ! wandered in by accident i knew i had done a wrong un when they asked how many hours i needed the room :lol: :lol:

Its a conspiracy we are all plotting to have a do on the main build no point in peeing you off now :mrgreen:

Hours or minutes?? :lol: :lol:
In the main build Im going to do the same concrete beds and sofas, I like the fact you dont ever have to replace them and if you want new foam and covers its easily done.
Sure you cant move them but then careful thought sticks them in the right place to start with, you never have to clean under them either.
gliffaes

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:13 am

geordie wrote:wandered in by accident

Bet they never heard that one before :lol:

gliffaes wrote:Hours or minutes??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Albert Einstein
MGV12

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Thats what caused the confusion when they mentioned hours ?? i only wanted 15 mins and ten of those for a cup of tea :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story