Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 pm

gliffaes wrote:Let me know when the first water makes it past the windows too and see how the paper likes that.

gliffaes wrote:joints usually get dirty and in the UK central heating used to leave a dirty patch up the walls over the radiators,

All this talk about radiators, central heating and windows leaking has me wondering just where I currently live.... I wonder how aluminum windows leak? How my radiators will function when I get them? And heaven's forbid central heating?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Let me know when the first water makes it past the windows too and see how the paper likes that.

gliffaes wrote:joints usually get dirty and in the UK central heating used to leave a dirty patch up the walls over the radiators,

All this talk about radiators, central heating and windows leaking has me wondering just where I currently live.... I wonder how aluminum windows leak? How my radiators will function when I get them? And heaven's forbid central heating?

I think it was here that I saw a YouTube video of water pouring in through aluminum windows during torrential rain, so it can happen :shock: :shock:

Though the radiators and central heating don't make any sense.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I think it was here that I saw a YouTube video of water pouring in through aluminum windows during torrential rain, so it can happen

Sometimewoodworker,
I have just spent the last week or so posting what I have done to cover my windows from the elements, both sun and rain, are you suggesting the coverings will fall off and the aluminum windows that haven't leaked so far will suddenly fall to pieces? The video you refer to was to do with PVC windows.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:I think it was here that I saw a YouTube video of water pouring in through aluminum windows during torrential rain, so it can happen

Sometimewoodworker,
I have just spent the last week or so posting what I have done to cover my windows from the elements, both sun and rain, are you suggesting the coverings will fall off and the aluminum windows that haven't leaked so far will suddenly fall to pieces? The video you refer to was to do with PVC windows.

Aluminum windows are crap quality here, don't know how they dont leak more than they do.
Often have to get them fixed in many of the condos we own, bloody useless design, really would have expected better than this in the tropics than these things.
Let me know when they leak ( not if)
The sun will still bleach the wallpaper a paler colour, look behind the blinds in about 18 months and see if the paper is as dark as the rest of the house.
gliffaes

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 pm

gliffaes wrote:Aluminum windows are crap quality here, don't know how they dont leak more than they do.

Oh! I disagree. If you install aluminium casement windows as I did you will have no leaks and will be able to open windows completely not half the window.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:

Sometimewoodworker,
I have just spent the last week or so posting what I have done to cover my windows from the elements, both sun and rain, are you suggesting the coverings will fall off and the aluminum windows that haven't leaked so far will suddenly fall to pieces?
no but until they get tested by driving rain can you be sure? I hope you have better luck than "codfish"
The video you refer to was to do with PVC windows.
no it wasn't they were the usual Thai aluminium windows :shock: :shock:

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2727&p=39079&hilit=Window+leak#p39079
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Aluminium windows leaking?

Confirmed...had 3 installed in the last renovation.
One of them not opening, but in the normal wind and rain.
Leaked as a sieve. Had to silicone it up to stop it
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:no it wasn't they were the usual Thai aluminium windows

You are totally correct, I apologise.
I've had some huge storms out at the house in the last week and all mine are fine, but I have different aluminum windows to those.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:41 am

BKKBILL wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Aluminum windows are crap quality here, don't know how they dont leak more than they do.

Oh! I disagree. If you install aluminium casement windows as I did you will have no leaks and will be able to open windows completely not half the window.

Iv e found in heavy rain they'll leak and Im not keen on the jointing system in corners, looks like they just seal em up with some silicone.
Plastics fused corners are much better although Im not really a fan of plastic too much
I would agree installation is poor also though in many cases combined with the lack of any slope on the sill they usually sit on leaves water pooling.
But we digress again I must get on with"The Main House"
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:42 am

BKKBILL wrote:

Blocked over?? :lol: :lol:
gliffaes

Postby unclezillion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 am

here you go some new ideas for your house :D

unclezillion

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:42 pm

unclezillion wrote:here you go some new ideas for your house :D

Might be a trifle warm in there???
gliffaes

Postby MikeWest » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Nice, I hope it works out way below your budget, as I love the style and look of of this house, and plan to steal it myself.. :D so I will be following this thread for sure.
MikeWest

Postby MikeWest » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:10 pm

What happened to the house being built in the OP? did he finish it? would love to see the final product!
MikeWest

Postby gliffaes » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:55 am

MikeWest wrote:What happened to the house being built in the OP? did he finish it? would love to see the final product!

Mike you have to read the el cheapo build thread as due to crap builders no staff and the addition of a second maids house the first now becoming my temporary accommodation the answer is "not yet"
I ended up building these myself in the end which as a one man show kinda slows things down.
gliffaes

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story