Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Windows all done, now to block up all remaining walls, some door frames in and lintels poured also.

Where did anyone (Max) get corner beads from for the interior rendering???
Attachments
IMAG1376-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby BKKBILL » Mon May 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Never used it but this might help for the corner bead..
http://www.thaigypsum.com/accessories_en.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 14, 2012 9:27 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Never used it but this might help for the corner bead..
http://www.thaigypsum.com/accessories_en.html

Thx Bill checked out Thai Watsadu today , no sign of it, I also asked them for the straps for the aerated blocks " Mai Mee" which means many Hua Hin builders arent using them. ( no surprise)
I got them at a local place in a very dusty ( no one ever buys these) sort of box, 4 baht each.
They love to do the bare minimum here when constructing.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Well I dont know what my wife said to the draughtsman but today we received back the full 23500 baht we had paid him upfront, now we move to a new draughtsman with hopefully more success.
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

gliffaes wrote:Well I dont know what my wife said to the draughtsman but today we received back the full 23500 baht we had paid him upfront, now we move to a new draughtsman with hopefully more success.

That,s close to a miracle :roll: RR got some really good really detailed drawings done and had support available if needed to clarify any points might be worth talking nice to him :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 pm

geordie wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Well I dont know what my wife said to the draughtsman but today we received back the full 23500 baht we had paid him upfront, now we move to a new draughtsman with hopefully more success.

That,s close to a miracle :roll: RR got some really good really detailed drawings done and had support available if needed to clarify any points might be worth talking nice to him :mrgreen:

Weve already spoken Im going to be calling his man soon................... soon as I get a minute to myself.

Todays excitement, the electrician arrived waving 4 receipts for "what he'd bought" well I looked at it and nearly fainted, Remember Ive bought all the fittings lights etc he has supplied the pvc trunking, junction boxes, connectors and 90 degree bends etc no switches sockets lights cable.
5100 baht .
It was all itemised and I counted 850 pieces???????????? he must think im nuts , so I went round guesstimated the amount of trunking from what was up and left behind, and then counted all the junction boxes, 90 degree bends, connectors etc et and got to 225 pieces actually fatened up and some in a bag for later
Do you think he is bill padding????
I havent paid him yet.
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Tue May 15, 2012 7:11 pm

ask him to walk around and show you all the stuff he bought :lol: :lol:

you might need the car for some of it depending where the other jobs were :roll:

Don,t forget the buried stuff in the walls bend ect
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Tue May 15, 2012 7:44 pm

geordie wrote:ask him to walk around and show you all the stuff he bought :lol: :lol:

you might need the car for some of it depending where the other jobs were :roll:

Don,t forget the buried stuff in the walls bend ect

Oh dont worry Geordie behind every back box ( which I bought) there is a 90degree bend, there are 13 sockets and about 9 switches in total.......hmmm that makes about 150 then doesnt it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: actually some dont have a 90 degree bend they have been left short of the socket and they will use flexi trunking into the back box so even less than I counted.
5100 baht hes having a giraffe and he'll be speaking with the wife tomorrow, shell be asking where the other 240 parts are???? as w e only have about 250 odd maximum.
heres the bills ( note no names ie store or anything)
Count the parts, over 540!!
Attachments
electric 1 (4)-web.jpg
electric 1 (3)-web.jpg
electric 1 (2)-web.jpg
electric 1 (1)-web.jpg
Last edited by gliffaes on Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Tue May 15, 2012 7:54 pm

gliffaes wrote:
geordie wrote:

Weve already spoken Im going to be calling his man soon................... soon as I get a minute to myself.

Todays excitement, the electrician arrived waving 4 receipts for "what he'd bought" well I looked at it and nearly fainted, Remember Ive bought all the fittings lights etc he has supplied the pvc trunking, junction boxes, connectors and 90 degree bends etc no switches sockets lights cable.
5100 baht .
It was all itemised and I counted 850 pieces???????????? he must think im nuts , so I went round guesstimated the amount of trunking from what was up and left behind, and then counted all the junction boxes, 90 degree bends, connectors etc et and got to 225 pieces actually fatened up and some in a bag for later
Do you think he is bill padding????
I havent paid him yet.

Sorry 540 not 800+ however still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many pieces
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 pm

The wife has told the electrician to check his bill as we counted about half what he supplied, we'll see what happens when he next turns up.
Other sad news , I caught a member of staff stealing some metal and later found them asleep. Im afraid they have been dismissed and it wasnt pleasant!!
Work continues blocking up and lintels over under windows, seems to be going slowly but at least the works ok, still have to watch every single thing they do.
I painted the crap tanks today with 3 coats of bitumen.............I knew you'd want to see that in the photos.
Attachments
IMAG1393-web.jpg
Horrible stuff to use but easy to apply bitumen
IMAG1392-web.jpg
Full of it?? NOT YET
IMAG1391-web.jpg
Blocked to roof and one block laid across cavity
IMAG1390-web.jpg
Sleeping on the job and illegal use of co property ( cardboard)
IMAG1388-web.jpg
Stealing!!
gliffaes

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu May 17, 2012 7:44 pm

off to a typical star - bloated/fake receipts and thievery.... i wish i could say it gets better from here, but i would be lying.
any plans for a perimeter fence/barbed wire to keep locals with itchy fingers at bay?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby gliffaes » Thu May 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:off to a typical star - bloated/fake receipts and thievery.... i wish i could say it gets better from here, but i would be lying.
any plans for a perimeter fence/barbed wire to keep locals with itchy fingers at bay?

Hi Max one thing that has surprised me here is absolutely nothing has gone missing form site, despite the builder saying it would. There have been blocks, steel, cement all there for the taking and nothing has gone.
Dont know if its just luck or what but Im quite happy with that.
The Wifes Sister, when she moves in, will start a full perimeter walls 2 metres + as it will only cost us materials. She is on a monthly salary of 7k and free use of another 8 rai to grow pineapples which should net her another 10k a month when ready.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Can anyone tell me quickly is this the right cement for rendering?? I have got the right sand but this cement???
Attachments
IMAG1386.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 pm

OK no need to answer it is the correct stuff.
Almost all walls now done just a small section to do tomorrow. I changed the plan a bit and closed up the open kitchen area as recent strong rain drove in easily although I suspect this is because the walls were not 100% up and the wind could easily flow thru.
Attachments
IMAG1413-web.jpg
IMAG1412-web.jpg
IMAG1411-web.jpg
IMAG1410-web.jpg
IMAG1409-web.jpg
IMAG1408-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Almost there ?? have you booked your flight now ?
I am not sure the striped carpet in the last picture will last very long though
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story