Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby unclezillion » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

geordie wrote:
unclezillion wrote:
the plaster i mentioned is not a skim coat but an all in one product for up to 50mm thickness,

Not came across this one the stuff i saw was litterally skim coat the aim being as stated a few mm for smoothing

GF i still would not trust it :lol:

Must be because it is made by a British company Geordie lol and is available in the UK
unclezillion

Postby gliffaes » Fri May 11, 2012 7:14 pm

unclezillion wrote:
geordie wrote:
unclezillion wrote:
the plaster i mentioned is not a skim coat but an all in one product for up to 50mm thickness,

Not came across this one the stuff i saw was litterally skim coat the aim being as stated a few mm for smoothing

GF i still would not trust it :lol:

Must be because it is made by a British company Geordie lol and is available in the UK

A lot of "easy" products are available in the UK 99% of them are useless aimed at the idiot diy market, I mentioned one coat paint but also flexible filler they say overpaintable in 15 minutes.....utter tripe it takes at least 24 hours to skin hard and even then these days seems to crack, quality in the last 10 years has sunk to an all time low, my mate the plasterer says hes tired of the plaster being "improved".
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 12, 2012 6:11 am

Well youll be pleased to know that overnight my condo has not collapsed despite my covert ops to smuggle in 59 boxes of tiles, and if they ask Ill say its ok they arent on the floor I put them in the cupboard!! :lol: or I taped them to the walls thus transferring the load to the walls..........hoping the walls can take that load!!
Photos just blocking up and some window lintels
Attachments
IMAG1342-web.jpg
IMAG1340-web.jpg
interior double block unnecessary walls
IMAG1338-web.jpg
IMAG1336-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Todays work on the walls continued and I showed them how I wanted the windows put in, make opening slightly smaller than the window then slide the window into the cavity between
( just happens to be the right size) wedge in position fold back the metal "wings" attached to the edge of the pvc frames then by inserting a block on end in the cavity set back about 10cm from the edge face to create one side of the form we poured concrete in............. good luck to anyone trying to get the windows out later.
In a few days Ill silicone around all the edges and eventually render will also be applied .
Tomorrow well finish all the windows, Im quiet impressed with the pvc so far, by far the best locks Ive seen here
Attachments
IMAG1351-web.jpg
Fannys yer aunt
IMAG1347-web.jpg
Bobs yer uncle
IMAG1346-web.jpg
hole ( does not include window)
IMAG1345-web.jpg
window includes glass
gliffaes

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat May 12, 2012 7:54 pm

did you infill with cement/render the brick cavity on the window sides? Otherwise where to you put the 3" screws in?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:did you infill with cement/render the brick cavity on the window sides? Otherwise where to you put the 3" screws in?

Hi Max Im not sure if you can see in the photo the cavity between walls but 10 cm inside this is another block line stood on end sealing the cavity.
This space was then infilled with concrete poured down against the side of the windows which also have metal butterfly shaped brackets which will embed them selves in the concrete.
I guarantee it will not budge 1 mm by tomorrow. No need for screws done this way, but this way can only be done when you are constructing the walls around the window at the same time.
I will run a silicon bead round the outer frame tomorrow and cement render will then cover this by about 1cm when its all done.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 14, 2012 4:41 am

Ive seen used somewhere a waterpipe here thats a continous length same as the electrical conduit which is black with a red stripe. The water one ive seen is black with a blue stripe but i cant find it anywhere.
Does anyone know if this stuff is available? is it the same stuff used for irrigation? I dont really want to join lenghts of blue water pipe together unless i really have to.
I have seen the irrigation stuff at Thai Watsadu but am not convinced its really suitable.
gliffaes

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon May 14, 2012 7:45 am

gliffaes wrote:Ive seen used somewhere a waterpipe here thats a continous length same as the electrical conduit which is black with a red stripe. The water one ive seen is black with a blue stripe but i cant find it anywhere.
Does anyone know if this stuff is available? is it the same stuff used for irrigation? I dont really want to join lenghts of blue water pipe together unless i really have to.
I have seen the irrigation stuff at Thai Watsadu but am not convinced its really suitable.

I think it may be this the one you mean it is from Global. I took the Pics in Udon. Either LDPE pipe or HDPE pipe will be OK the LDPE pipe is more flexible so if you have really high pressure water, not very likely in Thailand, then the HDPE could be better
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5968206_hdpe-vs_-ldpe.html

IMG_0829.jpg
LDPE pipe

IMG_0830.jpg
LDPE pipe 2

IMG_0831.jpg
LDPE pipe3
Attachments
IMG_0832.jpg
LDPE pipe4
Sometimewoodworker

Postby thailazer » Mon May 14, 2012 9:29 am

I used the black 32mm PE pipe (6 bar) and would not do it again. Half of the fittings leaked within two days and we had to double clamp everything super tight. This is not the same stuff you have in the West as the pipe in the photos kinks quite easily. Cheap to do long runs if that is what you need, but not worth it for normal runs. Use the 8.5 bar blue PVC and put some u bends in it to relieve stresses.
thailazer

Postby pattayapope » Mon May 14, 2012 12:26 pm

I would not use the LDPE pipe it is too thin and kinks very easy, the HDPE is another matter and I used it on my external water supply with no problems and no leaking fittings. I don't remember seeing the HDPE pipe in Global House and I bought mine from a sprinkler company and paid 2000 baht for a 100 m roll of 25 mm and got the fittings from Global House. The HDPE pipe is used by the Pattaya water company and at my old house I never saw any leaking fitting. The HDPE pipe I used did not have a tracer colour and unless you are worried I doubt it matters weather it is blue (water) or red (electric) or none.

On the way down to Hua Hin I have seen a factory that makes the HDPE pipe (on the left on Highway 4) doubt you can buy small quantities directly but I am sure is is available in the area.
pattayapope

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon May 14, 2012 2:50 pm

thailazer wrote: Use the 8.5 bar blue PVC and put some u bends in it to relieve stresses.
Is it 8.5 bar? I'm pretty sure that it is 8.5 mm wall thickness.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby thailazer » Mon May 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
thailazer wrote: Use the 8.5 bar blue PVC and put some u bends in it to relieve stresses.
Is it 8.5 bar? I'm pretty sure that it is 8.5 mm wall thickness.

I think there are four common classes of the PVC pipe sold in Thailand: 5, 8.5, and 13.5. The wall thickness depends on the diameter of the pipe and of the quality of the supplier. If I am wrong, the plumbing experts here can correct me.
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

pattayapope wrote:I would not use the LDPE pipe it is too thin and kinks very easy, the HDPE is another matter and I used it on my external water supply with no problems and no leaking fittings. I don't remember seeing the HDPE pipe in Global House and I bought mine from a sprinkler company and paid 2000 baht for a 100 m roll of 25 mm and got the fittings from Global House. The HDPE pipe is used by the Pattaya water company and at my old house I never saw any leaking fitting. The HDPE pipe I used did not have a tracer colour and unless you are worried I doubt it matters weather it is blue (water) or red (electric) or none.

On the way down to Hua Hin I have seen a factory that makes the HDPE pipe (on the left on Highway 4) doubt you can buy small quantities directly but I am sure is is available in the area.

Ah-ha! So the difference is high density and low density PE pipe. I was wondering why it was so different than what we used back in the USA. We used the HDPE pipe from a spring in the mountains and had almost 300 feet of head. The fittings would regularly blow if we didn't have some faucets open, but the pressure was extreme.
thailazer

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the replies this is what Ive seen the 40mm is quite thick walled as is the 32mm and I have a run of about 35metres which i want to do in ONE piece ie no joints underground and although it says ldpe it seem very tough to me unlike the other stuff with the white stripe which is so thin its pathetic.
Here also are the fittings brass inserts so i can conect at each end to the mains and in house supply. There will be only 2 joints both where water exits the main supply in the road and then enters the house. Ill leave the joints so I can access and chek them at all times, maybge build a small box around them etc
Photo of pipe connectors and blown up section to show inside the fittngs with O rings and clamps etc
Is this what leaked for you??
Attachments
pipe fittings.jpg
IMAG1360-web.jpg
ldpe pipe-web.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon May 14, 2012 6:20 pm

8.5 is the bar NOT wall thickness if it was 8.5mm wall thickness it would mean the wall would be as thick as your little fingers almost 1 cm.
OK I found a place making hdpe in BKK here http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/com ... d-pcl/861/

Ill check their prices

here in English http://www.wiik-hoeglund.com/WebRoot/29 ... ?id=327624
gliffaes

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story