Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby MikeWest » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:26 am

gliffaes wrote:
MikeWest wrote:What happened to the house being built in the OP? did he finish it? would love to see the final product!

Mike you have to read the el cheapo build thread as due to crap builders no staff and the addition of a second maids house the first now becoming my temporary accommodation the answer is "not yet"
I ended up building these myself in the end which as a one man show kinda slows things down.

Wow, that's a real shame, I hope you manage to finish it soon. I will take a peek in that thread now, cheers.
MikeWest

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:09 am

Gone but not forgotten, the main house, well now Im finally getting a 7 week UK break Ill be back speaking with the architect about finalising the plans for this, whether it will get built is a matter of opinion.
The problem really is the workforce here, I can subcontract out the roof to scg the same as Mike s roof with their truss system I think.
The concrete work I might get the one local builder to do but all the finishing would have to be done by me and 400m2 is a lot of finishing work
Still debating it but Ill get the plans finished anyway......................probably build something totally different having said that!!!!!
gliffaes

Postby Jack&Amy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Isn't that dream house already built elsewhere?
Jack&Amy

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Jack&Amy wrote:Isn't that dream house already built elsewhere?

Yes in Samui at a cost of about 20+ million I think.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Currently back in the Uk until September 21st, still umming and arring over the main build or more to the point "what" to build.
I havent had time yet to finalise the house plans with the architect as my Father who has had cancer for 15 years is now seriously ill and all my time has been spent nursing him with my Mother.
Im doubting the ability of anyone to build this to a reasonable standard and certainly dont want to throw money away on a disaster.
Im even thinking of just a"normal" build which Id draw up and do myself, single storey etc with double block walls with polystyrene in the cavity, an enlarged version of the other two as at least im comfortable building those to a high standard and have the experience of the other two in the "how to" dept
Flight back was ok Emirates let me down as usual forgetting my "welcome" drink on boarding and the in flight entertainment was broken...............great for first class!!
Not only the Thais can screw stuff up! got a refund of £700 though
So for "sometime" heres the pics :wink:
The A380 is a great plane for sure Ive used it since it joined the Emirates fleet. It even has onboard showers.

Back on the land the Wifes Sister is in charge, the pineapple lady has quit after she ripped us off on the pineapples.......no surprises there, honestly i wonder what Thailand has become at times.
Attachments
flight (3).jpg
flight (5).jpg
flight (4).jpg
flight (2).jpg
flight (1).jpg
gliffaes

Postby schuimpge » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Hello Gliffaes,
Sorry to hear about your dad. Been through the same almost 4 years ago now with my dad, though he had less than 9 months left after being diagnosed with cancer...
Wish you and your family the strength and courage to get through this difficult time.
Luc
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your father ... my recent trip back was primarily because my daughter is nearly 4 years into a 5 year expectancy.

Medicinal Can***s can genuinely help and is legal if prescribed ... or a quick hop to many European countries where they are more enlightened.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gliffaes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks chaps, I literally got off the plane spoke to the doc who said " hes got 3-4 months" which was a bit of a shock, it later transpired the doc meant he could die tomorrow or 3-4 months or 3-4 years which was bit confusing, the doc said it isnt an exact thing which i fully understand.
Prostate cancer hes aged 84 now, had it for 15 years and apparently its not spreading out of the prostate so far.
The last few days have been much better however and we are hoping for the years scenario.
It all has a bearing on my Thai build of course, i hesitate to start for fear of rushing back half way through, on top of that I have some other major decisions to make which will sort of tie me down in Thailand.
Anyway Ill see how the next few months go and take it from there.
At the moment I still plan to be back Sept 21st, it would really help to find two decent staff, Im still struggling with this also, we have the Wifes Sister whose great but shes no good for any hard work, shell keep the weeds down and everything tidy clean an watered and is a real grafter but she is 48 years old.
Finding the "right" staff would probably swing the main house into being done.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Back in 2 weeks, talking with the architect to finalise the drawings am still planning to proceed at the moment.........that may change??
I have a few things to do on the maidshouse 2 mainly painting and building a cooking area outside then Ill probably do some serious landscaping and tree planting.
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:01 pm

OK so the house isnt forgotten, the architect after a lot of back and forwarding to keep the price down is doing the archicad final plans now.
The upper floor is almost all steel to keep weight down inc walls.
Back on the land had more new staff.......they were great for 6 weeks then we got the sick Father story and knew that was it.
The boy said the work was too hard...me at 51 did half with him..........gawd help him when he's older is he cant manage it now
Did a hell of a lot though moved tons of gravel, water pipe round most of the land and taps everywhere, put in a lot of trees with sprinklers, dug cess pit for the bamboo house with makro (put the rings in this morning myself and backfilled by hand) for any new staff......have given up letting them use the maids house they simply cant take care of it so its a bamboo house, large plastic bin full of water a squat bog and of course a TV
1 wall socket 1 light done.
few photos
Attachments
landupdate (4).jpg
view
landupdate (10).jpg
more trees in along wall + stone down
landupdate (8).jpg
water pipes all round land now on concrete posts
landupdate (6).jpg
15 trees in with irrigation
landupdate (5).jpg
bog
landupdate (1).jpg
put rings in this morning
landupdate (2).jpg
bamboo house will go here
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun May 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Couple of shots from house showing materials used etc, not done much been sorting out my Fathers estate here in the UK, got through another staff member whilst Ive been here, turned up did nothing for 5 weeks so we sacked him, got two more now, girl already said she will go back to Burma the boy is staying, seems ok but you never know. Architect still dragging his feet somewhat although no real hurry so havent pushed it at all.
Am back next week 1st June bringing my 87 year old Mother with me, probably the only chance shell have to see my life here although she is still 100% fit and well.
Attachments
02.jpg
01.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Tue May 26, 2015 12:10 pm

The new staff house, when its like a pig sty pour benzene on and stand well back then order new one
Attachments
bambo house.jpg
gliffaes

Previous

Return to Your Building Story