Re: Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Dream House Build for 1/5th the Price

Postby gliffaes » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Ive been a long time reader of the forum and being a careful kinda guy I plan to build in 2 years time but Ill kick the ball off now.
I have some land down at Sam Roi Yot its 10 rai photo attached I know EXACTLY what I want to build and have seen the house for real and had a good walk round it. I have had a good time on floor planner.com to work it all out and with measuerements from the real house etc have it pretty much sorted out.
I bought a few CAD programs but cant seem to get to grips with any of them so I am looking for and Architect to verify what i want and draw it all up etc inc 3d renderings if not TOO expensive, I dont want fancy walk thru fly thru type things but would like to see it all in 3d and make necessary changes.
In the UK where Im from I am a decorator/Tiler /almost any type of job. and am fussy about finish, if need be will finsih it myself.
If I could afford it Id probably employ ATLAS Shrugged thats my kind of committment to quality.
The house i want seems pretty straight forward to me, ok its not a square box but thats what I like. It has a green roof but for me this is NOT important Id be happy with Cpac moneir prestige pale grey Tiles instead and it will save an awful lot of concrete.
I have spent 18 months finding land I like at the right price and the same time to find a house I like and it aint easy, these are now all resolved. PS I know the price of the house I like already but AM SURE it can be built for way way way less than their crazy 25million price.
Budget to do it..........no more than 4.5 million????? Photos attached ....ok go ahead an rip me to pieces :D
Attachments
land 2.jpg
land 1.jpg
house1-qpr.jpg
house
gliffaes

Re: Go easy on me

Postby BKKBILL » Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Gliffaes seems you will have nice views from your house. Going from 25 million to 4.5 will be a great feat.
I am using goggle SketchUp to design my next house. The price is right (free) it is capable of 3D and putting everything in scale is not hard. Of course there is a learning curve. Have you got any more pictures of that house it looks interesting. Good luck on your project.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 05, 2010 2:01 pm

What a great looking house. I thought I was the only one that wanted something different than the usual monolithic column structure Thai builder's build supporting nothing but a carport roof.

I hope I'm on your house warming party list now. I'll show you how flexible glass is against an explosive shockwave, then you will be impressed. And I think you'll walk in the budget.

Roger Ramjet
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

gliffaes wrote:I bought a few CAD programs but cant seem to get to grips with any of them ...

When I used Windows I had a good program called 3D Home Architect Design Suite Deluxe 8.
When I moved to Mac I bought 3DHA Home Design Deluxe which was supposed to be similar, but was not nearly as complete.

My architect said he used Google Sketchup and so I tried it, but somehow I just couldn't understand it.
When I received the detailed design in Sketchup I could do a walk through and play around with it, but I still don't really know how to design with it.
fredlk

Postby ningnong » Thu May 06, 2010 3:17 am

Hello Gliffaes, we will nearly be neighbours :P We have a couple of Rai just south of you near Kui Buri. We are planning on moving to Thailand after September to start building.

Good luck with your project.
ningnong

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
ningnong

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 08, 2010 1:44 pm

As requested more photos, actually the price starts at 24 million but is WAY over priced and the land where it is is a crazy price anyway, its not that complicated to build + the arhitects have done all the work already for me all I have to do is copy it and make a few alterations I want.
I do not want the main "Green Roof" it uses tons of concrete but I do want the small side piece of green roof which will protect the bedrooms from heat transmission thru the walls and also hide aircon etc + be a useful storage area.
Ill use c pac monier prestige silver tiles on the main roof with foil under but I also need to protect from some evil doers lifting the tiles in the hope of gaining entry, maybe just hollow slabs with no pour on top and then the steel rafters across tiles on top etc. Edges will have guttering all round. I would like to do away with the green roof over the two bedrooms downstairs but keep " the look" ie have a hidden ceiling using steel roofing ie the Australian colorbond using a very shallow angle which could be tucked under the line of the concrete somehow. All to be discussed with Freds Architect when he's not so busy. (Thanks Fred)
Anyone think its impossible????
Attachments
housedes1 (7).jpg
housedes1 (6).jpg
housedes1 (5).jpg
housedes1 (4).jpg
housedes1 (3).jpg
housedes1 (2).jpg
housedes1 (1).jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 08, 2010 1:46 pm

More,
Attachments
housedes1 (13).jpg
housedes1 (12).jpg
housedes1 (11).jpg
housedes1 (10).jpg
housedes1 (9).jpg
housedes1 (8).jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 08, 2010 2:06 pm

This was the best i could manage on "floorplanner.com" as they dont let you do sloping walls. All bedrooms are basically the same layout (changed from original design) with differing glass configuration. One bed upstairs 2 beds downstairs, small maids quarters (not needed and will be changed to storage area)
Total ius about 280 m2 have included open area upstairs with walkway across fornt interior of glass for cleaning (not included in original design).
Attachments
grd6-qpr.jpg
grd4-qpr.jpg
20100411113153-qpr.jpg
gliffaes

Postby fredlk » Sat May 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Just my 2 Cents on the subject: beware of copyright issues. I suspect that the moment you put up a house which looks the same as the original, the architects / project developers might be all over you for infringement.
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Fred yes I know am just hoping it wont occur + they have to find the house and if I post no construction photos they wont know where it is or even "if" I did it or just talked about it. Sadly that means I cant keep you updated except by pm.
The photos are mine.
I did speak with the original architects some time ago but they never got back to me.
I have changed various inside parts considerably ie walls and layouts but overall it has the same look, different roof material also different window styles in bedrooms and diffferent main glass area to rear.
Just wondering how different it has to be to be classed as "not the same"?
I take it anyone who has "done" a Frank Llyod Wright house "copy" doesnt have these issues?????? or do they or does it not matter as he's dead?
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Funny really re copyright, kind of reminds me as I have just gotten back from Pattaya of the Condo advertiesd there looks identical to "The Sail" is it?? In dubai you know the worlds only 6 start hotel this one ............... cant see them completing it myself in Pattaya.
Attachments
177985082_8d264c573e.jpg
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat May 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Pattaya version?
Attachments
ph_2489_1.jpg
gliffaes

Postby fredlk » Sat May 08, 2010 2:53 pm

gliffaes wrote:Just wondering how different it has to be to be classed as "not the same"?
I take it anyone who has "done" a Frank Llyod Wright house "copy" doesnt have these issues?????? or do they or does it not matter as he's dead?

The Frank Lloyd Wright inspired houses usually look nothing like the original. You have to be the man himself to do anything like what he has built.
My house has the same wide eaves and similar small-sectioned windows, but there is not much else the same.
I think that no matter how much one changes the inside, if the outside looks 80% or more the same, you might be in trouble.

On the other hand, if you design your house and then send some elevations to those architects for comment and they again do not get back to you, then you might be safe. :D

Music copyright expires after 25 years and with books about 50 I think. Maybe with architectural plans it's the same.
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Sun May 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Managed to knock up the top floor bedroom and add a few other bits in.
Attachments
20100523035745.jpg
20100523035713.jpg
20100523035625.jpg
20100523035557.jpg
20100523035506.jpg
gliffaes

Postby BKKBILL » Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm

You should be careful with copying others ideas. The more unique the drawing the easier to see violations. Here is an interesting site from Australian copyright council.

House plans & copyright

One would think if the plan wasn't conceived of in Thailand you would be alright. Copyright protection here doesn’t seem to be very high judging the pirated CD, watches, movie etc. sales. Guess that leaves moral rights.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Next

Return to Your Building Story