Building in Nakhon Sawan 3 bed house on 3 rai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Nakhon Sawan 3 bed house on 3 rai

Postby Theburl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi everybody,Im Luke and i need some Good Contractors names for Nakhon Sawan area.I m looking to build a 3 bed house in late fall of 2012. This will be my 1 house in Thailand .As we speek ,i know very little about the do and dont in Thailand regarding construction contractors. If you have suggestions , i d be pleased to read them TKS LUKE :-) :-)
Theburl

Re: Building in Nakhon Sawan 3 bed house on 3 rai

Postby runker » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 am

I would start off by reading the adventures of Max and Bee on this forum and after that take a look at SunPak's follies. Then for a little fair and balance reading check out Robert in Mae On. Me, oh, I'm still stuck here in the USA waiting for my wife to get tired of working every holiday and never being able to take off for any real length of time. But it seems to me if you want to go cheap you can but if you go cheap you'll get what you pay for and at the same time just because someone is asking a lot doesn't mean they're worth it. I like the going with the KISS theory of building KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. There is so much good information here you may want to spend a few days reading over it before deciding what type of construction you want to do. I'm the type of person who likes to have a well developed plan that has everyone's (spouse) approval before going forward. My only dealing with contractors is what I have known in one hurricane make over, and a new construction here in Maryland and it seems to me that contractors in Thailand are just like the ones in the US, keep an eye on them, ask questions on why they're doing something in a way you haven't seen done before and if they can get something past you they will, it is only a job to them. There are very few craftmen in the world today. One more thing, the contractor is not your friend, he is your employee.
runker

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:40 am

Very well put and very fair as well
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sunliner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 am

runker wrote: One more thing, the contractor is not your friend, he is your employee.

super shout runker :D

should be written in stone, and must include architects,project mngrs,sub contractors, or anyone connected, that you are paying ,to have your house built
yes it is very important to have a good relationship with the above, but at arms length(so to speak)
seen many a expat,and for that matter a few storys on this board ( and others) ,where the expat has become infatuated with the contractor, only to be shafted, in baht terms ,sub standard work, and broken promises, etc etc as the build progresses,

and always have a minium 20% witholding payment as a safe guard, on any work to be carried out.

always keep the celebrations on ice,
until the fat lady sings , then let it rip :D
sunliner

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:56 am

runker wrote:I would start off by reading the adventures of Max and Bee on this forum and after that take a look at SunPak's follies.

Are you saying that my build is worthy of being the most disastrous and "what not to do" on CTH?

I think you can have just as many problems with a "professional" builder as managing your own staff - except with the professional builder you will probably get overcharged
more along the way, irrespective of the final 20% quality/completion fee. With your own staff you trim away all the fatty excess in the middle, and are down to the bare bone
costs, but of course with a lot more work for yourself.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
runker wrote:I would start off by reading the adventures of Max and Bee on this forum and after that take a look at SunPak's follies.

Are you saying that my build is worthy of being the most disastrous and "what not to do" on CTH?

I think you can have just as many problems with a "professional" builder as managing your own staff - except with the professional builder you will probably get overcharged
more along the way, irrespective of the final 20% quality/completion fee. With your own staff you trim away all the fatty excess in the middle, and are down to the bare bone

I think what was inferred was yours with its hurdles and how you overcome them was well documented you have had more people test your patience than most ?? or maybe the same amount of screw ups :mrgreen: just better documented the latest one with the pilfering having caught them and still at it ?? i am waiting for a metal detector to come up second hand :roll: :roll:

The thing is when do,s petty theft as we call it stop being petty !!
An example was a scaffolder i knew some years back asked the site manager was it ok to take home a few bricks for to block off a small window at his mums house an ok was given with a proviso Pick up from under the scaffold =wastage ??
As he only had a motorbike no one took any notice of him picking up a few bricks - dropped there earlier by the brickie,s nor did they take any notice of him throwing a shovelful of sand into a carrier bag for his ruck sack even a shovelful of cement was ignored :roll: being a scaffolder he was visiting a lot of different site,s and doing the same on each so in four months he collected a free garden wall a meter high 12-14 mtrs long had he made a career out of it he could have built a house or two by now
geordie

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

geordie wrote:... had he made a career out of it he could have built a house or two by now

Thats like Richard Pryor in Superman 3 taking 1 or 2 cents from many many bank accounts building up to a nice lump sum, until Superman got involved!
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby sunliner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:- except with the professional builder you will probably get overcharged
more along the way, irrespective of the final 20% quality/completion fee. .

not quite right max,
referring
to your along the way remark, further milestones in your contract, should be in place to take care of that happening :)
sunliner

Postby sunliner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote: With your own staff you trim away all the fatty excess in the middle, and are down to the bare bone

hi max,
perhaps yes with the above,
but does one want to encounter,the extra stress etc etc that goes hand in hand as a D.I.Y. which your story clearly tells,
by engaging a good builder on a tight contract,
he takes care of that stress etc etc, that many expats do not want in their luggage, or do not have the qualifications or experience to pull off a miracle
your building story , clearly documents that dealing with thais, on a daily labour basis , is a tricky act, to get the right formula, and could easlily lead to very dangerous consequences and other bad aspects ,in a twinkling of a eye
a good builder takes care of the above , plus he has many other strings in his bow, to give you a satisfactory build
thats why he deserves a new vigo :lol:
sunliner

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 pm

sunliner wrote:
Max&Bee-in-CM wrote: With your own staff you trim away all the fatty excess in the middle, and are down to the bare bone

hi max,
perhaps yes with the above,
but does one want to encounter,the extra stress etc etc that goes hand in hand as a D.I.Y. which your story clearly tells,
by engaging a good builder on a tight contract,
he takes care of that stress etc etc, that many expats do not want in their luggage, or do not have the qualifications or experience to pull off a miracle
your building story , clearly documents that dealing with thais, on a daily labour basis , is a tricky act, to get the right formula, and could easlily lead to very dangerous consequences and other bad aspects ,in a twinkling of a eye
a good builder takes care of the above , plus he has many other strings in his bow, to give you a satisfactory build
thats why he deserves a new vigo :lol:

Good and very valid points raised, and in principle I wholly agree.

However going back 1 1/2 years to the start of our building story, our builder was let go with parting words for giving us falsified receipts - so 3 days into the build there was not much choice - sad when the builder
is a cousin but happens to be an aggressive moneyholic. So we had to go DIY with help from Bee's dad a few days a week.

Knowing my own personality, if someone starts to BS, builder included, I cannot work with them. So if we found a good and honest and fair priced builder, I would of course have gone that route, the question is can
you find one easily (especially when the build has started) at short notice, and of course at a fair price - now a Vigo or Hilux is 1 million baht give or take, a house labour is about 600,000 - 900,000 for a reasonable upto
300 sqm house by a responsible builder, so a 1 million extra bonus is top is ALOT in my opinion - others are free to differ and pay as they wish!

Also as i mentioned to someone before, if you cash out back home and all that and start fresh here, 20k extra is not that much especially if you have a pension coming over to save the hassles and enjoy
life, then yes can pay more. The choice is up to the individual on the best route for their personality, experience, available choices and desires.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Sunpax » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:31 pm

[quote="runker"]I would start off by reading the adventures of Max and Bee on this forum and after that take a look at SunPak's follies.

What do you mean runker by Sunpak's follies ?

I wiil not appreciate if you turn my built story in crasy or like its my fault of what happen about this bl...y builder who run away fefore the end of building...I have work enough hard in my house to get a little more respect of what you mean " follies "

and a propos..i am living in my house and despite the number of problémes of what need to be redone or finish ..........!
I like my house ,its very big, beautiful ,a lot of fresh air.....the many differents views from all the windows are fantastic...my house is very confortable, very pratic to live in ...........and if its not 100 % perfect ..i am happy to have concept the entire house myself !!! to draw it myself was not so easy ! but now i realize that was not so a bad idea...that many people fell good and happy when they visit me ...the key word was : space and light...for what i put the ceiling at 3, 50 m by exemple or why my bedroom alone is 45 m2 + bathroom = 70 m2......yes very confortable .
re ps : i'll continue the big build in july...terrasse outside ect ect...for now i relax and and try vegetable garden !
Sunpax

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:28 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
geordie wrote:... had he made a career out of it he could have built a house or two by now

Thats like Richard Pryor in Superman 3 taking 1 or 2 cents from many many bank accounts building up to a nice lump sum, until Superman got involved!

I think he was at it while richard prior was still at school
geordie

Postby sunliner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:27 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:- now a Vigo or Hilux is 1 million baht give or take, a house labour is about 600,000 - 900,000 for a reasonable upto
300 sqm house by a responsible builder, so a 1 million extra bonus is top is ALOT in my opinion - others are free to differ and pay as they wish!

The choice is up to the individual on the best route for their personality, experience, available choices and desires.

hi max, many thanks for your reply and views :D ,

on a labour only contract
the builders nett profit is is somewhere between the 30% to 40% margin, so for a 750.000 labour contract he receives approx 225.000 to 300.000 baht in his wallett, (no new vigo there ) this is perhaps is for a 6 to 9 months work,
therefore,not such a handsome reward as a lot of expats think, it must be taken into consideration that he has source the labour, control it, and pay for it out of the contract, not to mention providing boarding materials, tools etc etc, and the list of his duties to carry out a good build to satify his clients is endless
the turn the key merchants, are the builders making the new vigos, not the labour only builders :)
but as you rightly point out , its up to you
sunliner

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 am

A bit unfair on the op to carry this discusion further but :oops: When you do think you have it nailed down and the builder fails :( what then other than have a go yourself ?? Because most reputable builder,s loath the idea of "picking up from someone" especially if he is a local and likely to know your former builder there seems to be no recourse either pay the replacement a higher premium and swallow it or go it alone and hope you can pull it out of the mire without the budget being too shot to peices
geordie

Postby sunliner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
However going back 1 1/2 years to the start of our building story, our builder was let go with parting words for giving us falsified receipts - so 3 days into the build there was not much choice - sad when the builder
is a cousin but happens to be an aggressive moneyholic. So we had to go DIY with help from Bee's dad a few days a week.

hi max, yes the above,is a nightmare to happen ,to any expat ,and i have experienced simalar consequences but must add, on a much smaller scale, as your build was only three days old when the s..t hit the fan. i would have thought. that to find another builder contractor, the best route to take,but in saying that, i,am not privy to the ins and out of your predictment at the time, just trying to read between the lines(so to speak) never the less you are nearing the end of your build, nothing can be changed, so you and your lovely wife and kids enjoy the nice build that you have built :D, sunliner
sunliner

Next

Return to Your Building Story