Not being there

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Not being there

Postby sunliner » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

geordie wrote: personally i am looking forward to doing a build however its looking more and more like i was just pure lucky last time i played
On this next one i will just have to line up the ducks a bit better

hi geordie, thanks for your reply and views, :D

i, would anticipate that your next build, will be a much larger and different event,
therefore i, offer you some sound advice.

with your limited building experience in thailand , and reading your post, you should engage a builder on a labour only basis ,and buy all materials yourself,the most sucessful route for anyone to take, I.M.O.

this will enable you the precious time, to use your wealth of knowledge, to be a project manager of your build,

by being the project manager, you should be able to line up all the ducks necessary. with deadly accuracy, and stop any large amounts of pilfering etc etc on site, should that be that the case

and most importantly ,you are in control of your own destiny,

the hardest trick to the above, is finding, a good builder, but they are there, just keep throwing out that net, and with luck you will get a good catch :D
sunliner

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:45 pm

The real thing is to be on site and as you say control your destiny last time around i was there seven days a week for five weeks and boy did i want to escape :( :( :( But even though it was a simple build for MIL i still worried when i went to the village for material ordering and rightfully so as soon as i got back the ""mistakes"" were corrected And it was amazing that in 1-1 1/2 hours they could loose direction but because i was on top of it the situation never got out of control thats fine for five weeks but for five months it becomes a different story scared to move in case they screw things up and the likelyhood is they will or 20% or more of the materialwill walk its a mine feild even employing a project manager offers no guarantee if it goe,s tits he walks off the same as everyone else with your money in his pocket
Its a bit like building over here in the uk
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:06 pm

geordie wrote:Its a bit like building over here in the uk

.... but much warmer. :D
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:Its a bit like building over here in the uk

.... but much warmer. :D

agreed but wetter as well that worrying :? :? i might have to work out the weather patterns over there and follow the sun around the country

As the aim is to find a plot near you Fred :mrgreen: i will bring some cctv with me and you can micromanage the project when i have a day or two off because of ill health (drunk in a gutter somewhere)but i am seriously worried about the rain ???
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:39 pm

geordie wrote: but wetter as well

NOTHING and nowhere is wetter than England with perhaps the exception of Scotland.
geordie wrote:you can micromanage the project

Only for a generous fee, nothing less.
geordie wrote:i am seriously worried about the rain ???

Build on a hill like I did and the rain passes you by. Build on a swamp like Bangkok and sooner or later the rain kicks you in the sensitive bits.
fredlk

Postby sunliner » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 pm

sunliner wrote:
geordie wrote: personally i am looking forward to doing a build however its looking more and more like i was just pure lucky last time i played
On this next one i will just have to line up the ducks a bit better

hi geordie, thanks for your reply and views, :D

i, would anticipate that your next build, will be a much larger and different event,
therefore i, offer you some sound advice.

with your limited building experience in thailand , and reading your post, you should engage a builder on a labour only basis ,and buy all materials yourself,the most sucessful route for anyone to take, I.M.O.

this will enable you the precious time, to use your wealth of knowledge, to be a project manager of your build,

by being the project manager, you should be able to line up all the ducks necessary. with deadly accuracy, and stop any large amounts of pilfering etc etc on site, should that be that the case

and most importantly ,you are in control of your own destiny,

the hardest trick to the above, is finding, a good builder, but they are there, just keep throwing out that net, and with luck you will get a good catch :D

hi geordie,
thanks for your reply, to my above post.

runker, :D sunliner is off to his barber , for a number one haircut, tomorrow morning.
sunliner

Postby elgato » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 pm

noosard: anything new to get your thread back on track? :roll:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby noosard » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:02 pm

DSC02153a.JPG
DSC02153a.JPG (13.58 KiB) Viewed 808 times
DSC02126a.JPG
DSC02126a.JPG (14.76 KiB) Viewed 808 times
DSC02147a.JPG
DSC02147a.JPG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 808 times
2 weeks on windows and doors have been installed no problem
Kitchen installed mostly but some issues with return boards and the kick board that has to be replaced
Got the boss of the building firm to come yesterday first time he has seen the job in lots of months, well the sh-t hit the fan have extended the contract to the end of this month
Tiles realistically all laid wrong but will fix uneven and marked ones downstairs shower floor still holds water got to relay tiles there
Rendering to be fixed and repainted
Plumbing from kitchen to be upgraded
Got the pipes and pump and tank to be hidden behind a wall
Meanwhile have had another contractor doing 120m by 1900mm high perimeter wall
This contractor is also doing outside concrete and tiles around house for us
They are working hard as a team asked for 80 days to do but the way they are going I would say about 30-40 days
Waan’s friend is making the curtains and her husband gave us a quote for fly screens
Homepro wants to deliver white goods and tvs today
Extra hin was suppose to come last week for the carport /driveway but has to wait now as sand for tiling in the way now
Still smiling
noosard

Postby elgato » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Yes, keep smiling.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby noosard » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:33 am

DSC02171a.JPG
DSC02171a.JPG (15.68 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSC02170a.JPG
DSC02170a.JPG (14.83 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSC02168a.JPG
DSC02168a.JPG (14.3 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSC02167a.JPG
DSC02167a.JPG (15.46 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSC02166a.JPG
DSC02166a.JPG (14.76 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSC02165a.JPG
DSC02165a.JPG (14.5 KiB) Viewed 705 times
DSC02166a.JPG
DSC02166a.JPG (14.76 KiB) Viewed 705 times
20/02/12
Had some action this last week
Floor tiles have been relayed to some success
Down stairs tiles finished for the 3rd time but still have an indoor fish pond even after I cut 15mm of the floor waste
Do again
Fence contractor doing a good job but makes things difficult for self by not measuring heights of columns poured
The concrete pad and tiles done in 5 days 56sqm
Meanwhile house builder erecting steel shed wall to hide pipes and tank
I will put a roof on it later
Wife has got someone else to do next 60sqm of concrete and tiles
Kitchen people back to fix and finish but they never used a level to put granite top in so now have to fix that before tiling wall
Homepro deliver tvs today maybe
Hin man not come yet as maybe a supply problem now???
Went to global house yesterday to get steel reinforcing and a sheet of ply what a lot of idiots there shopping and supposedly working
Lucky wife had no gun
Still smiling
noosard

Postby noosard » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 am

DSC02182a.JPG
DSC02182a.JPG (14.13 KiB) Viewed 629 times
15/03/12
Settled with the builder
Steel shed turned into a slated pump jail
Curtains have been hung look good too
Moved into house 28/02 had house ceremony 148 thais 2 farangs
They retiled 2nd bathroom 4 times and still wrong
Cistern water pipe leaked left a lake near loo so I ripped up 7 tiles to the floor waste myself just got to relay them now
Had 10 loads of hin delivered 700bht/load
New tiler/concretor has laid the concrete and is 90% done with tiling slow but no hurry
Granite top in kitchen pulled out and rejoined levelled so tiles went on wall
Fence man finished conrete block wall all rendered now just the steel front and gates to do plus painting
Wife not happy with rendering so they have to fix some, not happy wit different sized steel pailings plus too short.Grind off do again
Papa is surprised by the lazy attitude of the finishing of the various jobs ie work hard and then rush the last bit so wrong, not measuring the distance between posts so the next guys job is harder cause the spacing is wrong
Just a note when you buy things like a gas stove it does not come with gas hose and connectors nor do tvs come with the aerial connection cable
Water filtration unit not working ask the guy who fitted it about the connections. He was not sure if he did it right, after sale service is suppose to come and refit.
Since I started this page after sales came refitted but still does not work. Returned the next day and have sent a new unit to Bangkok to be fixed.
TOT came and installed wireless internet connection had to pay the installation fee 2000bht as we are 4kms from where there is alternate service
Waan talked me into aircon for the bedroom
Aircon to be fitted for free, told the sales person 2 story house no problem
Aircon fitters come and say cost extra 2k to fit as more than 4 metres or have to attach to wall also extra which is what I wanted anyway so they have to come back tomorrow as ladder too short. Next day not come as still no ladder, can’t work today in village as local died so no-one is allowed to work today.

DSC02185a.JPG
DSC02185a.JPG (14.85 KiB) Viewed 629 times

DSC02182a.JPG
DSC02182a.JPG (14.13 KiB) Viewed 629 times

DSC02181a.JPG
DSC02181a.JPG (13.79 KiB) Viewed 629 times

DSC02172a.JPG
DSC02172a.JPG (16.89 KiB) Viewed 629 times
noosard

Postby olavhome » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Kitchen looks great. (Have what colour you like as long as white :D )
We are also try to get one together for our build when go to lOS in 1 week.
Did it have a separate price or come together with total price of house ?
We are discussing about have ordinairy "made at the place" or premade kitchen.
olavhome

Postby noosard » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:21 am

The kitchen was made separate from the house build by ST Mall
Homepro and index both design and make as well but homepro Udon didn't want to talk to me the design staff thought talking to a pharang was too hard another kitchen place in town was good but over 200k for same size
I think they promise a good finish but the tradies making and fitting are not up to the job
But overall we are happy
kitchen cost 160k with 2pac cupboard fronts granite top and soft close draws
the 2pac finish allows any colours and is easy clean
keep smiling :D
noosard

Previous

Return to Your Building Story