Not being there

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Not being there

Postby noosard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 am

Hi people my name is Tim wife is Waan
We bought 1 rai for 250k June 2011 fee 55k t money 200bht
Cleared block for 10k
Laid access pipes 500mm dia by 10m 3.5k
Filling land 130 loads din 56k 44 loads hin 30k
Excavator broke water mains twice 800bht repair
Survey block 7k as disagreement about actual back fence
Land 40*40m
Water meter 2k connected straight away
Power meter 4.5k took from mid June till late Oct
Had lots of excuses don’t know where village is can’t read pharang drawing of map with thai writing don’t have meters
No problem used nieghbours power which builder paid their bill as well
May and June spent time designing what I wanted and spoke to lots of different builders
Some just wanted to build mansion not what we wanted
Chose Ahouse builders at 10k/sq metre
Spent lots of time with them changing drawings they also talked me into starting build in July rather than Feb 2012 when I am going to be there
Building commenced early July while wife and I were away Bangkok etc
Mama had house ceremony
1st extra 50k to piledrive 20+ 7m deep concrete piles for footings
They then made 600*600*400? Pads on top of each pile
Arrive back to mistake
Ahouse says footings done must pay 2nd installment but I see workers digging out what I would call footings a trench 600deep by 600wide along wall line and thru house
Mistake is top of piles 650mm too deep
I ask how much to fill all trenches with concrete which I was willing to pay extra for
no answer instead they box up 650mm making up the height
this is followed by boxing up beams for the ground floor to be constructed on
DSC00208a.JPG

DSC01044a.JPG

DSC00409a.JPG

DSC00465a.JPG

DSC00494a.JPG
noosard

Re: Not being there

Postby noosard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 am

Trucks delivering concrete breaks 2 500mm driveway pipes
Drain blocked flood water backs up to neighbors property
Papa and I dig small drain by hand
Ahouse gives allowances for bathroom 7k *2, tiles 250bht/m
I upgrade paint, cost extra 7k add second layer insulation 14k
Go and buy all fittings for bathroom Ahouse gives back 14k
Buy 3 hot water systems extra 1 for kitchen
Waan picks tiles for house no extra charge as average comes under 250bht/m
Was away for 2 months Waan and family keep an eye on things
They build columns wrong upstairs so have to change bedroom walkin robe
Also have made house 400*2 higher than first designed as contractor forgot to allow for beams.
DSC00527[1].JPG
DSC00527[1].JPG (14.94 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

DSC00539[1].JPG
DSC00539[1].JPG (5.24 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

DSC00551[1].JPG
DSC00551[1].JPG (5.16 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

DSC01688z.JPG
Oct 11

sparkies have had to come back and put in power points where required
plus plumber had to add water point for laundry
noosard

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 am

Wow thats like the quickest building story I ever read! Well done, mistakes spotted and rectified quickly. Luckily the diggers never hit underground HV cables or you would have had a BBQ instead of a pool party.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby noosard » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 am

Very quiet work month during Oct while I was there apart from putting in the ceilings and starting the tiling
I cleaned up the rubbish round the site
Ahouse took away all their wooden support poles
Will be back end of jan
contract suppose to finish 5th Feb
Kitchen to be installed by ST Mall 1st or 2nd Feb
713.JPG

714.JPG
noosard

Postby noosard » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Back in Thailand now the fun starts
Contract suppose to be 210 days (04-02-12) but now 7 months so 217 days
No problem
All aluminium fittings not come yet so, no sliding doors or windows
Told 05-02
Kitchen contract suppose to fit 02-02 now maybe 08-02 ?
Now the finishing problems
Floor tiles having to be redone in places as wrong colour or not laid flat
Floor tiles in 1 bathroom have water pooling
Render on outside rough and then just painted over
The problem being builder subs out work and no-one supervisees’ workmanship
noosard

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

not being there = lots of problems

but nonetheless well done, not bad for a remote controlled build.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Not completely error free but if you can lve with a couple of bits ?? how stressful did you find it not being there to observe ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:04 pm

geordie wrote: how stressful did you find it not being there to observe ??

Speaking for me, having the build managed for me while living 160 kilometres away was great. No stress for 2 years, but it cost me the project manager's salary and got me some shoddy workmanship.
Living on site now is stressful and I could do without it. If I were richer I'd move away again and get them to complete it in my absence.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 pm

We know you took the easy way out Fred :roll: :roll: how about we swap you come to England an i will oversee the completion right through to phase two :lol: :lol: :lol: or is that a sacrifice too great
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

geordie wrote:how about we swap you come to England an i will oversee the completion right through to phase two

For no millions, squillions or gazillions will I ever go and live in England again.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 am

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( Why did i know that would be the answer :lol:

I will try for some sympathy now 8.30pm had my evening nap its saturday lets go to tesco,s !!! OOP,s its snowing very lightly so we drive the 5 klm to tesco,s witnesing several accidents including a pizza boy off his scooter but still doing 20mph on his butt :lol: :lol: :lol: get to tesco,s quite a large store so start shopping :( no milk no vegatables no baked beans no bread to name but a few things we also left with the last six trays of dog food ?? shopping totalled £27 pound instead of the usual £70-£100 Then we drive home back to the hovel and because its on a steep hill i have to park on the bottom road :cry: :cry: :cry: Twenty mins later and two smoke breaks i get back to the hovel in total disbeleif that a couple of inches of snow has led to panick buying especially as its forcast for one day only and acording to the checkout girl this has been going on for three days the only good new is a taxi has just slid down the hill and hit the neighbours car :( if i had managed to get my car up the hill it would have been mine as well
geordie

Postby Shastadad » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 am

fredlk wrote:Speaking for me, having the build managed for me while living 160 kilometres away was great. No stress for 2 years, but it cost me the project manager's salary and got me some shoddy workmanship.
Living on site now is stressful and I could do without it. If I were richer I'd move away again and get them to complete it in my absence.

The old saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me comes to mind since I now must be on site everyday to discover and then make a decision on the most economical way to fix mistakes made by the project manager and builder

I wish I had the almost 200,000 THB that I spent on a manager to spend on correcting all the mistakes allowed to occur on his watch. From the 25,000 THB spend on removing waste concrete and building material to the as of yet un-calculated cost to remove the floor in both baths to slope them towards the drain, to replacing fixtures that won't fit because water pipes were laid without any consideration to what had already been purchased, to electric circuits that don't relate to demand, to drain pipes filled with cement, to parking deck tiles that give me my wanted Koi pond there, and the list goes on and on

I wish the noosard only the best and hope that he is able to control the subs, which IMHO, is the most difficult part of the build, since they must be micromanaged since common sense is really in short supply here in Thailand
Shastadad

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:01 am

So Shastadad daily site visits are a must rather than an option 25000 bht to remove waste building materials that probably cost twice three times that to buy in the first place adds to a lot of wastage The more i read at the moment :( :( even i am starting to think rent rent rent the problem is which is worse to destroy your dream or never attempt it we all want to leave our stamp stand back and say thats my dream home buit lt as i wanted to my design
Then it gets stuffed and becomes a nightmare but reality is it any better in uk where they will charge you a damm sight more for coffin sized rooms and you have some pratt on the council telling you what you can and cannot build followed by an inspector who will confirm or deny safe for use bogged down with beurocracy and they will ultimately tell you what you have to use to build it ??? I hope you can get it sorted without the costs escalating too much
with the bathroom floors I dont know what sort of stage they are at is it possible to add height rather than remove the floors add a 2" step at the door and tile towards the drain it does seem strange that they cannot get a simple thing like slope the floor correct by strange i mean stupid
geordie

Postby sunliner » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 am

geordie wrote:The more i read at the moment :( :( even i am starting to think rent rent rent the problem is which is worse to destroy your dream or never attempt it we all want to leave our stamp stand back and say thats my dream home buit lt as i wanted to my design

hi geordie,
gosh squire, with all your building knowkedge etc etc, certainly surprised that you are getting cold feet, about putting a build together :) .
but the renting option, is a very affordable route to take , in most parts of thailand
sunliner

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Sunliner all the knowledge in the world is no good if the labour is running amok or even worse just running - with your materials and money!!
The wife of course would not hear of renting because she marry farrang farrang buy house ???? personally i am looking forward to doing a build rather that than buy sombody,s problems however its looking more and more like i was just pure lucky last time i played
The interpreter then was a bit shirty this time she has already told me find some one to translate for you dom,t use me ?? I find that a tad annoying this will be her house a lot longer than i will get the use out of it :mrgreen:
Last time i used farmers and this time will do the same again but last time i had a useful tool It was called a Dago ! he was the village fixer and knew everyone so sent him off to recruit some labour I will badly miss him more so than the interpreter :lol: :lol: :lol: Even if he did turn up with the first five men looking like he raided the old folks home :lol: :lol: :lol: On this next one i will just have to line up the ducks a bit better
geordie

Next

Return to Your Building Story