Building in Buriram

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Buriram

Postby LilBudda » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Been active on the forums for a while now and I guess now my time has come.

About 1 year ago my wife and I purchased 4 rai of rice fields in an ideal location for us (mostly ideal for her actually), this is central to all the family who are within 1km. Also I wanted a decent sized bit of land so that we could have a lush garden full of fruits, but mainly I didnt want to be stuck looking out the window onto rotten corrigated iron roof tops from neighbouring properties. During the last year we have raised approx 2 rai of the land by about 2 metres done in 2 stages, once before the start of the rainy season and once after the rainy season ended. 1 part 50mx50m for the main house and gardens and another part 20mx20m for possible shop or the likes later on. Pictures to follow..

50x50 Front Left2.jpg
50x50 Front Left

50x50 Front Middle3.jpg
50x50 Front Middle

50x50 Front Right3.jpg
50x50 Front Right

50x50 Middle Middle.jpg
50x50 Middle Middle

50x50 Middle Middle2.jpg
50x50 Middle Left

Hit Limit I think, more to follow...

Today the architect send us the rough drawn plans for revision and ammendments.

Ground Floor.jpg
Ground Floor

Upper Floor.jpg
Upper Floor
LilBudda

Re: Building in Buriram

Postby LilBudda » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 pm

50x50 Front Middle5.jpg
50x50 Middle Right

50x50 Right.jpg
50x50 Right Front

50x50 Right4.jpg
50x50 Right Back

Pond Right.jpg
Pond Right

50x50 Back Left.jpg
50x50 Back Left

20x20 Front.jpg
20x20 Front

20x20 Back.jpg
20x20 Back
LilBudda

Postby LilBudda » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 pm

50x50 Front Middle2.jpg
50x50 Front Left (Road)

50x50 Front Middle.jpg
50x50 Front Right (Road)

Ok, think thats enough pictures for you old farts to ponder through! :D

Look forward to comments, thoughts, ideas...
LilBudda

Postby olavhome » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 am

Good idea to live a little out in "open air" :)
Thunk the same myself.
Looks nice.
Where in Buriram?
olavhome

Postby sunliner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:08 am

hi lilbudda,

pictures at times can deceive ones eyes,but looking at your front elevation pics, the main road seems to be a tad above your plot

even with a dirt fill,perhaps with the naked eye, my assessment may be wrong,flooding at a later date is the very reason that i have brought this to your attention
nice pics,good luck wih your build :D
sunliner

Postby LilBudda » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am

Good idea to live a little out in "open air" :)
Thunk the same myself.
Looks nice.
Where in Buriram?

Thanks, we are in Phutthaisong.

hi lilbudda,

pictures at times can deceive ones eyes,but looking at your front elevation pics, the main road seems to be a tad above your plot

even with a dirt fill,perhaps with the naked eye, my assessment may be wrong,flooding at a later date is the very reason that i have brought this to your attention
nice pics,good luck wih your build :D

The pictures are a tad deceiving, however we are equal, if not slightly higher than the road. Ive been concerned about this too myself and have been watching the land for over 2 years now, and seen these fields get flooded 2 years in a row now. Before you say rice fields are supposed to flood aren't they? Well yes, but these floods came close to the road level and detroyed everyones crop both times. Basically down the road to the left (from looking at front of property) is a big lake and just beyond that is a river, the last two years the river has overflowed into the lake and the lake burst its banks. Family that have lived here many years say that the highest ever recorded flood here was to road level. Thanks for your concerns, possibly more fill to follow, going to wait on engineers etc.

One thing I forgot to mention was that each side of our land I left a strip of rice field. This was due to the fact that there is 2 large drainage points through the road to prevent flooding, you can just make one out of this picture...

50x50 Back Left.jpg
Back Left

Also note all over the above pictures were taken just after the floods so it looks lower than it is. Rice fields are sloped slightly :?
LilBudda

Postby sunliner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 am

LilBudda wrote:
The pictures are a tad deceiving, however we are equal, if not slightly higher than the road. Ive been concerned about this too myself and have been watching the land for over 2 years now, and seen these fields get flooded 2 years in a row now. Thanks for your concerns, possibly more fill to follow, going to wait on engineers etc.

having first hand experience,may i suggest that you do seek further professional advice,as the playing feild, you are on ,is high stakes
anyone who builds on a rice paddy feild,without correct volume of dirt ,or try do it during the build , and in some cases none at all, will in time pay the price,make no mistake about that
many thanks for your reply and pictures on the matter,sincerly hope it benefits anyone in the future
sunliner

Postby Rick B » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Lilbuddha. I agree with the advice given by Sunliner. It is better to pay a few additional Baht now to raise the property higher to reduce the possibility of flooding in the future. After the bad floods last year in many places in Thailand, there are a lot of people who had significant water damage to their homes, from floods higher than anyone had ever seen before. So it can happen, no matter what the locals say. Better to be safe than sorry.
Rick B

Postby LilBudda » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Well I haven't really been gone, just haven't had much of a stable internet connection or the time to post. But have been reading all the posts from everyone to check what the latest is. Today I think TOT finally fixed our internet line which is very good news. Don't know exactly what they have done, but it is seriously twice as fast as when installed and 4 times better line quality.

I'll be posting some pictures and info on what we have been up to soon.
LilBudda

Postby vonked » Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi,

Would like to know how you are progressing right now.
We are planning to build in Putthaisong too.
I could use some building experience.

Best regards Ed
vonked

Postby LilBudda » Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Ed,

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get home from work at the weekend. Where abouts in phutthaisong are you located? If you want we could meet up and I can give you lots of info.
LilBudda

Postby vonked » Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi ,

Sorry for the late reply.
Just got back back from Putthaisong. I guess I missed your reply because of a bad internet connection.
Sure ..would love to meet you and share some ideas. Currently we live in Chonburi. We have 2 properties in Putthaisong but I have to ask my wife the exact location. It is close to her family just about 5 km from the city center. We didn't build anything yet, just measuring and drawing.
Our next visit to Putthaisong will be within one month so we can meet up than.
I will let you know the date.

regards Ed and Nid
vonked

Postby vonked » Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 am

Hello,

Tried to sent you a PM. It seems it is still waiting in my outbox....(don't understand why) Anyway...Saturday and Sunday we are in Putthaisong. Maybe we can meet.
vonked

Postby LilBudda » Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 pm

Got your PM. Unfortunately won't be home until the 14th of June. You are more than welcome to visit. If you aren't planning to stay for long I suggest visiting my mates little farang restaurant in town. Its called Robins Steakhouse and is on the main road into Phutthaisong right next to the main Phutthaisong school. You will most likely make a few friends and find out a bit about the local area. Most of the guys wont have a great experience of building but might be able to pick up a few things.

All the best,

Craig
LilBudda

Return to Your Building Story