a very slow start to a very slow build in khon kaen

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: a very slow start to a very slow build in khon kaen

Postby geordie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Max i was hoping by now as you are nearing the completion your exel spreadsheet must be fairly complex but should have every item on there required for a comprehensive Boq maybe its time to break it out and teach us older and apparently senile members how it works
( i would like to deny senile!! drugged and stoned ?? would be better) Maybe a new thread
obviously the pricing would be variable as to per area but it should be a faily accurate guide
apart from which the builder could be given a blank to price while he quotes a lot more difficult to deny later or say i did not see you had four bathrooms
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby erikr69 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm

not sure if this works but this is the spot for the house.
Attachments
rps20111221_132404.jpg
erikr69

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:54 pm

You really do seem to have it all covered insulation wise seeing as you are going for a full Air-Con house, except for your glass areas though, which in a western country would be double glazed. There are several products on the market of the film type that claim to do the same job, how successful they are I'am not sure. But you will really feel the difference when ever you go out-side ? Reading all the posts I have to laugh at the banter between the 40-50yr old, I can remember clearly when I reached 50, just told everybody I was at the half way mark and on the down hill run now, then it was 75 and three quarters of the way , Just want to get the house near Khon Kaen finished next year hopefully and spend some time in the garden while waiting for The Queen or Charlie to send me that telegram. Mike in Oz.
Mike Judd

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:45 pm

geordie wrote:Max i was hoping by now as you are nearing the completion your exel spreadsheet must be fairly complex but should have every item on there required for a comprehensive Boq maybe its time to break it out and teach us older and apparently senile members how it works
( i would like to deny senile!! drugged and stoned ?? would be better) Maybe a new thread
obviously the pricing would be variable as to per area but it should be a faily accurate guide
apart from which the builder could be given a blank to price while he quotes a lot more difficult to deny later or say i did not see you had four bathrooms

It's quite hard to generate a BOM from the spreadsheet, plus each house is so unique - I use lots of conwood while Tom, Dick and Harry might want all teak.
However the best thing, and I am working at putting that information in, is the costs per sqm for the major structural elements.
I also know that a few of the good CAD packages generate material lists, especially the architectural design ones.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:50 pm

Mike Judd wrote: Just want to get the house near Khon Kaen finished next year hopefully and spend some time in the garden while waiting for The Queen or Charlie to send me that telegram. Mike in Oz.

OH i say do they cover you colonial chaps with the telegram,s

RR will get his soon ??

Max a spreadsheet started by someone could be altered or amended with prompts from other users with materials basically what you would hope for is a prompt sheet say roof a x b = area ? material
sundrys grinding blade rods gogles gloves xtra steel for soffits the idea being everything you need is mentioned for selction sort of a prompt sheet as prices hike it could and would be hiked the same the problem is in the estimating when you come up with a budget and find all the little sundry items you forgot like plasterboard adhesive ? or ???
Also basics like a 4 bar colum a 6 bar beam for the frame i know there is enough computer literate people to put it together and enough pooled knowledge to feed the info in to say a discusion thread = current pricing in BKK for rebar/roof tiles/ect Something to think about but most builders/ happy ametures have the know how to build but not the patience to list out in detail
geordie

Postby erikr69 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:42 am

agree geordie. we should make an excel on the site that people can use to adjust but then so many different ways to do things

when the wife is finished getting her hair done (seems almost as slow a process as building a house :wink: ) we will go back to the orbortor for hopefully finished plans. will upload them in the new year when back in paris.

As said before there is an old house on the other corner of the plot which will remain till after the build for the family and secure storage (see max and RR i learn fast)
Attachments
rps20111222_230706.jpg
erikr69

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Geordie---Of course we Colonials get a telegram at 100, plus one from the Oz Governor General as well. Why not ? we are the ones that did it all for you young ones, when Men were Men, and Women were glad of it.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 am

Hmm i heard it a bit different or was it kiwi,s men were men and sheep were very nervous :mrgreen: I think the amount of breakage,s i have its unlikely i will get a telegram or card unless its sent early and very soon :lol: I cannot remember where i saw it very recently if i knew i would live this long i would have taken better care of myself ?? so bloody true :lol:
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:38 am

It's all in the genes ! get a pair of Levi's. Plus "If you don't use it, you lose it "
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

Getting back on track, I've been reading the post on Koi ponds and was interested to see they used what I call a normal concrete block 200m.m.x 200m.m.x 800m.m. long. such as used in Oz for rendered walls, with or with-out concrete filling. Where are they made in Thailand as I have never seen any up around the Khon Kaen area. Those 50m.m. thick ones are ridiculous and so fragile. With my front boundary wall facing the road ,I used a double layer to give it some strength inbetween the concrete columns . With a fence of some sort having to be built some-time in the future right down the side (270 mts) or so, I wouldn't mind getting some of those proper blocks to make a good job of it. Especially as my part time neighbour (Norwegian) said he wanted a good fence built as well between our blocks. Any comments ?
Mike Judd

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am

I also tried to find the 20cm thick conrete blocks but nobody could deliver them around our area...
Maybe they are only produced from a few bigger companies and then as a result most likely quite expensive.
The standard 7cm blocks are made by nearly every bigger material shop themselves and as so also varies their quality.
It is the rendering what gives them the strength!
If you need it stronger... just use a double wall, put some wire mesh in between and fill it with concrete. I did this to level ground beams and it worked out great.
Maseratimartin

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 am

You are probably right, making use of what is available locally might be best, the price soars once you get away from their standard ways. I'll have to look around for some " Brick Tor" ( rolls of galv mesh that they use here in Oz to strengthen single brick walls) I have seen the bigger concrete block down in Phuket, but that's a bit far away. Here in Oz there's a mob making the big blocks with plastic inserts that lock them together and allow you to just stack the blocks on a level foundation, no mortar required then you lay the horizontal steel in the inserts, add vertical steel and pour in small stone concrete mix for a very strong wall. Maybe in a few years time Thailand will have them.? But as you said, some materials can be very expensive in Thailand. Have you ever worked out the cost of materials in Thailand on an average wage basis, it's mind blowing ! some one is making a lot of money on the backs of the average Thai . Half a days wages nearly for a bag of cement.!
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 am

Mike Judd wrote:You are probably right, making use of what is available locally might be best, the price soars once you get away from their standard ways. I'll have to look around for some " Brick Tor" ( rolls of galv mesh that they use here in Oz to strengthen single brick walls) I have seen the bigger concrete block down in Phuket, but that's a bit far away. Here in Oz there's a mob making the big blocks with plastic inserts that lock them together and allow you to just stack the blocks on a level foundation, no mortar required then you lay the horizontal steel in the inserts, add vertical steel and pour in small stone concrete mix for a very strong wall. Maybe in a few years time Thailand will have them.? But as you said, some materials can be very expensive in Thailand. Have you ever worked out the cost of materials in Thailand on an average wage basis, it's mind blowing ! some one is making a lot of money on the backs of the average Thai . Half a days wages nearly for a bag of cement.!

A picture of the blocks would be good mike the greatest inovation i have seen in a while is lost form shuttering = polystyrene interlocking blocks you insert the rebars horizontal and vertical then fill with concrete Brilliant you can knock up a house in a couple of days or better still the wife can :lol: :lol: They have not fully caught on yet but you are getting fantastic insulation "in and out" great soundproofing and not really a need for a bricklayer up here in the northern hemisphere a great plus the downside is the costs its still cheaper with traditional methods
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I have the Web site for you Geordie if it's any use. www.formblock.net/formblock.php There's a video on there showing their use etc' Another block made by Boral Australia don't have the plastic inserts but morterless the same.I think the inserts tie the blocks together better and are to keep the steel in place before pouring the concrete mix in. They have them with various coloured imitation stone covered faces which look great and don't need rendering or painting. I would definitely build a house in them if they were available in Thailand. No need for all those columns , load bearing walls tied with steel from the footings up to the roof if required, should be O.K. for swimming pools as well.
Mike Judd

Postby erikr69 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 am

I did look into the small red brick connecting blocks, they were about 4 baht for the small ones but again you would not need columns. Seen a house build with ot and should have some pictures.
In the end I think I will go with the more common materials, ideally 20cm white AAC blocks, however i like the idea of 2 layers of standard blocks with in between a layer of concrete, probably easier to source and explain.

More thinking to do.
erikr69

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story