a very slow start to a very slow build in khon kaen

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

a very slow start to a very slow build in khon kaen

Postby erikr69 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:40 pm

ok. so have been preparing and brainstorming for 2 years and think have a design now the wife seems happy with.
i am 42 so still some time to work before i can retire so I am not in a hurry. As the mrs is paying for major part the house will be build on land she has in the moo baan on the border of the ubolrat lake north west of Khon Kaen. The land is about 1200 sqm on which we intend to build a 130sqm house. there is already an old (beyond repair?) house on the corner that will remain for now. The land has been raised 2 years ago so had the time to settle.
Tomorrow picking up the prints from orbortor (thanks for the tip guys) and the first quote for build is in at 1.100.000 from the builder that build all three houses i did like the quality from when driving around.
will upload scans of the plans and some pics when i return home.
erikr69

Re: a very slow start to a very slow build in khon kaen

Postby MGV12 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:49 pm

erikr69 wrote:ok. so have been preparing and brainstorming for 2 years and think have a design now the wife seems happy with.
i am 42 so still some time to work before i can retire so I am not in a hurry. As the mrs is paying for major part the house will be build on land she has in the moo baan on the border of the ubolrat lake north west of Khon Kaen. The land is about 1200 sqm on which we intend to build a 130sqm house. there is already an old (beyond repair?) house on the corner that will remain for now. The land has been raised 2 years ago so had the time to settle.
Tomorrow picking up the prints from orbortor (thanks for the tip guys) and the first quote for build is in at 1.100.000 from the builder that build all three houses i did like the quality from when driving around.
will upload scans of the plans and some pics when i return home.

Good to see things are moving for you ...

If i was 42 years young I would certainly build in a style that enabled additions as time goes by and money comes in ... be interesting to see what you plan.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby elgato » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I vaguely remember when I was 42. Welcome aboard and best of luck with your build! Did I read something in your post about 3 houses? Post some pics so we can all offer some suggestions, etc.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby geordie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Ok so at your age you can take your time :( :( :(
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm

geordie wrote:Ok so at your age you can take your time :( :( :(

Dont worry Geordies memory is so far gone he cant even count to 42. I myself am a sprightly 48 and have taken 2 years + to get as far as I have...............which aint far.
Good luck with the build, get some pics up
gliffaes

Postby elgato » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 pm

gliffaes wrote:

Dont worry Geordies memory is so far gone he cant even count to 42. I myself am a sprightly 48 and have taken 2 years + to get as far as I have...............which aint far.

Geordie has been taking a LOT of time. Pics!
elgato

Postby Ians » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:34 pm

I think that I can remember being 42, although not really sure any more. :?
Ians

Postby elgato » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Ians wrote:I think that I can remember being 42, although not really sure any more. :?

As long as we're stealing the post, how can you remember to forget 42?
elgato

Postby geordie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 am

gliffaes wrote:

This has gotta be bull-34-= how can you get to 48 in two years that make,s it 24 years in 12 months :lol:

Although when you start building you will age 10 years in 12 months ?? :lol: have you done some building before :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you doing for a builder now RR,s has gon rogue or are you waiting to see if the new one performs :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby erikr69 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:07 pm

ok ok, calm down boys (is this what they mean by the old boys network??), now that we mnow you are all close to alzeimer etc let's see if we can get this back to track.
Today we went to the orbortor and reviewed the plans and made some small alterations in door swing directions and added 2 small windows. they will have them ready by friday (i told you guys it was a slow start).
so instead of getting some more quotes (another one of those lessons learned) i am sitting down on the porch with a cold drink pondering where exact to put the house that seemingly mysteriously grew its footprint to 10 by 17.5 (including 4 by 7.5 for carport and small shed excluding front porch). That 1.1m starts to sound just right :wink:

ok made some photos of the corner where i planned the build and the old shack on the other corner but still have to find out how i can move them from thr tab into this forum on slow edge connection.

today the chief of police in the amphur was coming by with his wife stating the prices of the other 3 builds i liked were all about 300k lower then the builder told us (i knew it, he just confirmed and now the wife no longer disagrees :) ) so when i go with this builder team they are in for a surprise counter offer
erikr69

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:04 pm

erikr69 wrote:today the chief of police in the amphur was coming by with his wife stating the prices of the other 3 builds i liked were all about 300k lower then the builder told us (i knew it, he just confirmed and now the wife no longer disagrees :) ) so when i go with this builder team they are in for a surprise counter offer

Whats your price for labour/sqm and labour+materials/sqm?

Based on my costs I can give indication how reasonable or expensive it is -

ballpark figures are for 8500 (+ builders markup)/sqm for labour+material/sqm
or
about 1500 (+ builders markup)/sqm for labour only and you buy everything yourself

based on my costs here - for my spec house.

good luck with the build
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby trader » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:00 pm

erik69..welcome aboard ..and the very best of luck

have been doing a lot of research of late..and c/mai prices(may vary from district to district) builders contract prices are

(labour only)2200 to 2700 baht a sq metre for a nice single storey residence with whistles and bells (not a bare bones bld)

of course they are based on traders research..and are currently available end of 2011

hope thses figures will be of help and to other members and guests also :D

have a nice day
trader

Postby erikr69 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:45 pm

max, the first quote comes to about 8100 per sqm for labour and material based on decent quality but not luxery. i know that there is some space to discuss. more quotes to be arranged next week.
erikr69

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

erikr69 wrote:max, the first quote comes to about 8100 per sqm for labour and material based on decent quality but not luxery. i know that there is some space to discuss. more quotes to be arranged next week.

my price above is for my house, the major specs include: double walls of superblocks for the whole house, insulation inside all walls, fully insulated ceilings, western standard electrical wiring, Siemens power distribution board, gyrpoc walls (which you wont have), all floor tiles, laminate, all bathrooms fixtures and tiles, all the kitchen plus all the equipment (sucker on top, oven, cooktop), 5 LG aircons, aluminium windows and glass doors, 5mill blue glass, fly screens, all the curtains and rails, hot water heater, 2 bathtubs, DuluX interior and exterior paints, architraves around all doors and windows and ceilings and floors (took alot of time and cost alot) + a few other things here and there. If this was Oz, the fittings would all be "standard" quality, I guess for here they were on the expensive side a bit.

we worked very hard to push costs down and quality up. if he is quoting you 8100/sqm all up, make sure you have detailed specs on the finishes, as i mentioned above - tiles, paints, internal wood, aircons, bathroom and kitchen fittings, etc.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby trader » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 pm

erikr69 wrote:more quotes to be arranged next week.

thats the way enrik69

more quotes the better :D
trader

Next

Return to Your Building Story