New Build in Chang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

New Build in Chang Mai

Postby REED » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:12 pm

I suppose this should have been under the Your Build Story topic.

Well, here goes. I had intended to start our build in Changmai much sooner, but unfortunatly work comes first and I was transfered to Brazil. My contract states that I work 28 on/ 28 off, but I can;t remember the last time I did that. Left Thailand on June 9 and just got home on Dec. 7th.
I tried to get as much accomplished as posible before my return so that we could actually get started building right away, but it's not as easy as I had hoped from 13,000 miles away. I must give credit to my wife as she has tackeled every job I threw at her while I was away. Still some things just can't be explained, translated or understood by phone and email.
Anyway, I am here now and we have not stopped since I arrived.
We have the temporary electric meter and the electric company installed the pole just inside our land and installed all of the hardware that will be needed for the 3 phase once we complete the build and get the perminent meter. We are about 300 meters from 3 phase supply and they gave us a price of 47,000 baht to run it to our property.
We have drilled the water well. 800 baht per meter, 75 meters deep. 5000 liter per hour. Franklin pump I paid for. Satisfied with the work although it took them a few more days to complete than they stated.
We have a contractor currently building a 1 meter high retaining wall around 3 sides of the 1.5 rai of land. 2,000 baht per running meter, they furnish everything. We will be filling in about 1 meter of soil. We have decided to go with the prestressed planks rather than back filling the iside of the foundations. I am still going to backfill, but I did not want to worry about the dirt settling under the slab.
We are meeting with the architect and builder tonight to view what will hopefully be the last and final drawings.
I will post some photos and design drawings after we have them. That will probably also take some help from the wife. Computers and me do not get along very well.

Bobby
REED

Re: New Build in Chang Mai

Postby elgato » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:17 am

Welcome aboard Bobby, I can't speak for others but I'm looking forward to seeing pics and news of your build. Sounds like you have a good start.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Here's a copy of our house plan. There have been some minor changes but nothing that will matter here.
floor plan 05-11-11.jpg
Floor plan
REED

Postby splitlid » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:13 pm

floor plan looks ok, but the columns position on the outside are alittle strange. :)
splitlid

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

I am still trying to figure out the easiest way to upload photos here, so there may be some srew ups along the way.
Here are some 3D views. They again are not exactly as they should be, but you can get the general idea from them.
Scene23 (cp).jpg
3D views
Scene13 (cp).jpg
Scene12.1 (cp).jpg
Scene5 (cp).jpg
Scene3 (cp).jpg

There are several little things that are not accurate in the 3D photo's, like the bird bath in the front does not belong anywhere on the property, the street is completely in the wrong place and so forth.
Ok, I am setting down and I have a good hold on the table, so let me have all of your thoughts, ideas and questions.
Bobby
REED

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Hello Splitlid,
I think you are talking about the columns that appear to have no purpose at the back of the house. That is all a large patio area tha is covered under the same roof as the house.
It may make more sense after you see the 3D views.

Bobby
REED

Postby splitlid » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm

i meant here

splitlid

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:49 pm

I asked the same question and the way I understand it is, the patio area and the main living, dinning and kithchen area have a 6 meter span. The design of the roof has been beefed up to accomidate for the span. On that corner the main truss runs from outside corner to inside corner if that makes sense.

Bobby
REED

Postby pattayapope » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Nice design, one question is there much land at the back or do you have a nice view? If your back wall is close it might feel like sitting in a prison but that is just my opinion and provided you get a good builder I am sure you will have a beautiful home. Good luck with your build and keep us posted.[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks Pattayapope,
I agree with your comment about space in the back. To be honest, I am not sure how it will feel yet. The back of the property is 49 meters wide and it runs at a slight angle. From the back of the house it is 22 meters to the back of the property one one side of the house and 28 meter to the back on the other side.
I have staked out the layout of the house and it seems to be ok, but until the house is actually built it will be hard to really know how cramped it may feel.

Bobby
REED

Postby elgato » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Nice looking house Bobby. Could you post a couple of pics of your land?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks Elgato. I do not have any good photos of the land that allow you to see the shape, but I have posted a couple below along with the general layout of the house and land.
General Layout.jpg
Basic layout and size
land_clearing5_(11-11-11.1430) (cp).jpg
land_clearing4_(11-11-11.1200)(cp).JPG
land_clearing3_(11-11-11.1200) (cp).JPG

There is one house behind us and nothing on either side. Very large rice field in the front. Our property is on a dead end road with only 3 houses including ours. It is very close to town yet very secluded.

Bobby
REED

Postby trader » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:03 pm

welcome and the very best of luck :D

have been looking for a plot of land to purchase in c/mai :)

without being seen to be impolite:)

may i ask how much you paid for your plot

p.m. me when you reach 25 posts if you want confidentially retained

many thks :D
trader

Postby thailazer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Reed.... Nice looking plan! What software are you using? Looks even better than Home Design Studio.
thailazer

Postby REED » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Trader,
I do not mind telling the price. We paid 1.5mil for 1.5 rai. It is a very convienent location with easy access. We are just 1 street off of a good main highway with a traffic light at our get off, so no messing around with those dangerous U-Turns. We are ten minutes from anywhere downtown and even closer to a good grocery store and of course there are always good places to eat on every corner.

Thailazer,
I wish I were that talented, but that is actually a copy of the official plans done by our architect. The software that I use for my informal drawings is SmartDraw.

Bobby
REED

Next

Return to Your Building Story