No Builder

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

No Builder

Postby nabeel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Tried a couple of other forums, with no success, one response was along the lines of "it ain't rocket science'...ye you go figure that one out. But thanks for the reply anyway.

What I need is a reliable builder in the Pattaya area...looking to start in Feb next year. if anyone knows of one they have used, seen, had friends use it would be most appreciated.

Cheers
nabeel

Re: No Builder

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:23 pm

nabeel wrote:Tried a couple of other forums, with no success, one response was along the lines of "it ain't rocket science'...ye you go figure that one out. But thanks for the reply anyway.

What I need is a reliable builder in the Pattaya area...looking to start in Feb next year. if anyone knows of one they have used, seen, had friends use it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to CTH.

I think fredlk can help you out on that one, he seems pretty happy with his build quality.... check out his building story:

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698

Good luck, you will need it!! Seriously...

But on another serious note - the best builder could also be staring you in the mirror, just depends what your other life experience is (were you an engineer or technician of some sorts, or in the building trade, then perhaps you can pull it off as the DIY builder yourself).
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby otis-a » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:44 pm

agree w/Max
will save u big BAHT if u hire subcontractors direct rather than use a General Contractor builder- provided
a. U have time to spend @site
b. U communication skills are adequate
c. U gots some sort o background n z crafts
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby pattayapope » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 am

What are you planning to build and do you have much land?

The builder I used has done a lot of work for foreigners he is not the cheapest around or the fastest but he finishes off the job and will make sure everything is OK and to your satisfaction. My only complaint was the extras which I thought were a bit over the top but as I did not have a proper set of plans I could not complain too much. If I did it again I would make sure every little detail is clearly written down so no misunderstandings at the end.

My house is a fairly straight forward design with no fancy stuff and cost about 13,000 baht M2 you can look on the Huay Yai blog to see what I built. There are many builders in Pattaya and most are a rip off and use sub standard materials. If you are looking for something cheaper then my builder is not the way to go.

As some of the other forum members said be your own construction manager, you can certainly save at least 30 to 40% of the build cost, I work 5 days a week so that was never an option for me and my Thai is very basic.
pattayapope

Return to Your Building Story